Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the US equivalent of mastic?

I've been reading up on soundproofing, and one article from the UK keeps mentioning "mastic" and a "mastic gun". I have a feeling this is one of those things that has a different name in the US (like a UK "rubber" being a US "eraser" :D ), as I've never heard of the word before and haven't seen it at my local building supply store. Anyone know what it is? Thanks in advance...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems I remember long ago hearing my dad refer to "mastic". I believe it's a type of tile caulk, or some equivalent to the glue you lay floor tile with. I don't think it's as foreign as it is archaic.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by sysexguy: [b]....that would be caulking [/b][/quote]Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was some sort of special caulking... [quote][b] BTW, Auralex has a free download with lots of good ideas intermixed in their sales pitch.[/b][/quote]Yep, I have it! It's a very good read. Thanks again!

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Mastic is the adhesive used to lay tile and such... it's kinda like a cross between mortar and glue. --Lee[/b][/quote]Sounds like it might be fun at a party.
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived