Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well, better late than never...

I'm Steve, solo bassist, collaborator, teacher and occasional sessioner and journo. Got four albums out on my own label, Pillow Mountain Records , tour around playing solo, and in various collaborative situations - duo with Michael Manring, duos with Theo Travis and Jez Carr, trio with BJ Cole and Orphy Robinson. etc.

Used to be a main features writer and reviewer for Bassist Magazine here in the UK, and have an archive of all the interviews and reviews that I did for the mag (which will soon be moved over into a much more easily searchable format than the one it's currently in!). Have also written for The Independent, Third Way, Guitarist, Total Guitar, Bass Player and others.

My bass gear consists of three Modulus basses - fretted and fretless 6s and a fretted 4, and a Rick Turner fretless 5, I'm currently still playing through Ashdown amps, but have recently started working with AccuGroove on the signature cab mentioned in another thread here...

I'll stop there - if you want to know any more you can check out my site , and ask questions on the forum there... :)

cheers

Steve

www.stevealawson.net

k now after a few weeks of readin these forums ive become a member. :) . My name is Ben *benny* McDonough, im from newcastle NSW Australia and ive only been playin bass since about feb this year but i love it. I had a guitar a few years back but had no idea where to start with it (didnt know whats tabs were...) but now that ive listened to my fair share of music and know what i like i sorta have an aim for myself (les claypool.. noone said ur aims cant be very high ones). I like the metal -> pantera, early metallica, slayer as well as other stuff like primus, acdc, ratm, grinspoon, living end.. and want to end up being able to play these styles convincingly lol.. well acdc's 77777777777777777/0530 songs arent exactly jaw/bowel dropping but its still great fun to play in a band when ur all together and sounding good.. and thats what its all about right? fun!

I tested the bass water with a borrowed washburn xb100 bass running through my pc headphones (povo?) or better yet.. a peavey studio112 guitar amp (quiet as fish farts only) until i borrowed the washburn owners 70W torque amp.. not great but definately better than my previous two sound reproduction devices..

Just recently ive purchased a yamaha rbx370 4-string active bass and when my wallet gets suitably heavy enough i'll buy my own amp (cheap 150/300 and cab)

cant wait..

well theres my introduction.

merry xmas to you all!

Originally posted by jeremyc:

You need to use this picture on the Lowdown, Darklava.

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/hendrix.jpg

Got it thank's :cool:

I hope greeboy don't get mad!

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hello, I'm Smurf. The name came from doing a lot of childrens benefets, and my fav color is blue! I am from the Akron, Ohio area in the great US of A. I have been playing for 31 years, semi-pro for 15, and makeing a living from music for the last 16. I play drums (main instrument),bass,guitar,a little keys, and try to sing at times. I have also toured as a musician, FOH and monitor mixer, and light tech. I play old rock, ie. 50's Black Sabbath, Rush, Moby Grape, MC5 to country, old and new, and have played in 2 original bands that did pretty good. Due to health reasons I have to drop the drums, so I'm going to the next best instrument, bass. 2004 is going to be a woodshed year for me, getting back into reading and such, but I am looking forward to it, along with reading all the great posts here. And thats all folks!

De Armond Pilot V

Peavey Basic 40

Fingers.........

===================================

Hi All!

My name is Fred. Ive been playing bass for around 1.5 years already. I currently play in a sextet that plays jazz music. (its a really sad sextet cuz our sax player doesnt practice and our trumpet player has a really big ego :( ) However the drummer(a really good drummer, his time is impeccable, even my music director says so all the time) and me have become really close friends since we met a year ago. We have been jamming alot since and I believe that jamming with someone better than me especially a drummer helped my sense of time and grooving improve. Sadly, i cant say the same thing for the sextet we play with. Hopefully I can join the college jazz band this semester and learn alot. My drummer friend says that the people there are experienced vets that are 30+ years old with alot of experience! Right now we are focusing on lots of latin,afro-cuban music. Salsa, Rumba, Songos etc. I practice mostly everyday too. I listen to all kinds of music from jazz to surf to metal. I also play the piano. I love playing walking lines with my left hand and soloing with my right. It took me a long time with alot of practice to nail that 4/4 line with soloing on the right hand. I love listening to stride, boogie-woogie and solo pianists like art tatum, dave mckenna, lennie tristano, thelonius monk and fats waller. I get my ideas from them and apply it to the bass.

Howdy all.

My name's Jim, I've been lurking around this forum for a couple of months now, throwing in my 2 cents whenever, and I've got to say that this is by far the coolest bass forum I've found. I'm new to this forum stuff, and appreciate the fact that I haven't been flamed yet.

I live just outside Orlando, FL and have been playing here professionally for about 15 years. Yes, I've had to do my time at Disney and numerous other tourist related spots and I've had to play "Marguaritaville" more times than should be legal; but, fortunately, I'm lucky enough to have a great house-band-jazz-gig for the last couple of years as well as enough weddings and conventions to make a living (conventions are BIG in Central Florida.) I'm also trying to break into teaching at a local music store.

As my handle implies, most of my work is on upright, and I have a fairly decent one that does NOT like the humidity here. I also play a lot of electric--specifically fretless--whenever I can, but I play mainly with jazz-snobs that don't like bass guitar (jerks!)

Other than music, I'm into astronomy and woodworking-I've built a couple of basses-but best of all, I get to be a stay-at-home daddy to my 3-year-old (who seems to enjoy playing his drums to impress me.) I'm lucky to have been happily married for the past 7 years.

Thanks to all the kind folks on this forum. I look forward to getting to know (some of) you.

I guess that's enough.

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

hey yall im new here. my name is alfonso and ive been playing bass for about 4 years now. though i was lured into this world by flea and the chili peppers, i also went through a short prog-metal phase and am currently very into jazz, hip-hop, and hippie groove music. i play a MIM fender j bass and an ibanez EDA900, through a crate BX100 (yea it sucks but im stupid and poor).
get on your feet and do the funky alfonso!

Cheers Folks

Yet another newbie to the forum, Ive been playing Bass for about 5 years now, mostly for my own entertainment/pastime. I try to practice/ play constructively everyday and Ive played in couple of Jam sessions at local bars with some success, but I guess Im still a little gunshy.(no bandmates :(

I love the forum and laugh my @$$ off frequently at some of the great replies. :thu:

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

Yes, b'y! How's she goin' buddy, whadaya at?

My girlfriend's a Newfie, but she's been down here in Virginia for 6 years now.

Where are you from? (I've only been to Carbonear, Victoria, B.C.((That's Behind Carbonear, BTW ;) )), Corner Brook, Bay Roberts and St. John's).

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Hey, this is Tom. I'm currently in Santa Clara, CA although I will soon relocate to San Fransico (or thereabouts) when I transfer to UC Berkeley.

I am an 18-year-old martial art instructor and I've been playing bass on-and-off since junior high (that's about the equivalent of two or three continuous years) I play a Jazz V and I am looking into an Ibanez SRX505 as a second bass. I am currently in the market for bandmates for a metal/progressive band.

- Tom R.

Hi, my name is Ralph. I have been playing the bass for 20+ years. I've been in various rock bands (Metal, Pop, etc), blues bands and funk/ R&B bands. I have also performed solo (acoustic guitar).

I have lots of basses and amps and gear and all that. My current bass-of-choice is an ESP LTD 4 string that I just love. I play weekends - usually 3-4 times a month. I have attended Gerald Veasley's Bass Boot Camp in Philly and that was a high point in my life. I listen to everything but my all-time favorite music is Motown and classic R&B.

Peace

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Brian and I have just recently bought a bass. So far I am trying to learn on my own but I realize the importance of lessons and will be getting some soon I hope. I have always wanted to learn to play the bass as I like the feel and sound of the low frequency spectrum. Also I noticed that most bass players on stage can just sit back and hide in the background which suites my personality much better than playing lead guitar.

My bigest concern though is starting a study of the bass at the age of 29. I hope that I still have the time to learn and be able to eventually play in some kind of public venue. I don't have dreams of being a rock star, but I do want to be able to at least get some kind of paying gigs locally in order to have fun and play with others to improve my playing.

As for my musical background I played the clarinet in my middle school band and played tuba for one year in high school. I can't say I was very good at either instruments but it did help me to learn note reading and the treble and bass cleffs. So for now I am concentrating on learning the bass by getting books that use standard notation instead of tab.

Right now I have a copy of Mel Bay's Student Bass Method which is all standard notation and is at least helping me learn the fret board. There isnt much theory in it as far as I have seen but it seems like a solid book. I am also using eMedia's Bass Method which is a piece of software. I have not gotten to deep into this yet but it looks like it could be a good tool as well. I am planning on ordering the Simandl book off B&N soon as well.

Anyway, I am glad I found this forum and I apologize that my post was so long. Thank you.

Hi, er, I'm Tedster. I've hung out here a bit before. I'm 46, live in the greater Kansas City area, married with high school and college age kids and, also a grandson.

Lessee...I'm not...ummm...really a bass player, in the strictest sense of the word, like a "professor of bass". But I play bass...and actually, a few of the songs I've written were built around bass licks. So, yeah, I guess you could call me a bass player. Not like a Victor Wooten wannabe...but a utility bass guy.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hi all,

My Name's Jeremy,I"m from Massachusets. I'm 14 and playing bass and trombone. I'm tryin to get into doubble bass too. Right now i'm workin on a band that goes by the name of "Clams in a Nutshell". I'm goin on one year of playin Bass and lovin every minute of it. I play a Fender Squire and am investing in an envelope stomp box. :D

Originally posted by Amorphous Lifestyle:

Hi Right now i'm workin on a band that goes by the name of "Clams in a Nutshell".

It should be Nuts in a Clamshell. :D
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Hello. RJ here. Out of NYC. I never learned to read the bass or proper playing technigue. I have finally resolved to learn to read and play properly. I purchased a video and book by Dale Titus and added what I learned to my "by ear" skills. I am a better bass player already. I look to develop some serious bass lines of my own. These bass lines will be a mixture of R&B and jazz type styles. I also look to observe more of blues style music and create some kind of R&B/Jazz/Blues fusion style of my own.

Some of the bass players I have respected are:

Marcus Miller

Paul McCartney

Secou Bunch

Stanley Clarke

Larry Graham

(Don't know the following names)

James Brown's bass player

Brother's Johnson bass player

I sometimes hear today's music and wonder if the "bass" played on the keyboard will make it very difficult for the public to see the practical value of the bass guitar.

James Brown has had many different bass players.

The Brothers Johnson bass player is Louis Johnson. Check out his early work on various Quincy Jones and Patrice Rushen records. He also played on nearly all of Michael Jackson's records and many, many other recordings.

Welcome to the Lowdown, sounds like we have a lot of common musical ground.

Archived