Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

*less than a month ago I filed retirement papers and am waiting for my first pension check

*about 2 weeks ago I decided to reactivate my presence on this Forum.

First asterisk: I'm not too far behind - I just hope the pension is still viable.

Second asterisk: Thank you for the re-visit. Experience is always welcomed despite the time away.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any other metal heads around here?

There are some but for many more their tastes are a little more broad to just be considered "metal heads". Some of my favorite bands fall into the category but I listen to a bunch of other stuff too. Stick around and share a bit, if you play bass you probably have a lot more in common with some of us than you think.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Do you mean the heavy metal with 16th notes on the root, or the metal with 32nd noted on the root? ;)

welcome, and welcome back, in any case.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Hello all!! I am new to this forum, playing bass and I just subscribed to Bass Player (mag). Having red some of the other intros, I realized I am so out of my league here... BUT, I figure that if you want to excell at something, find folks who do that "something" really well and listen with your ears, not your mouth... so.... I will be listening with my eyes mostly here and learning a TON of bass stuff I'm sure....I have been playing bass for a year, dont even own an amp yet cuz I think that should happen when I am ready to play with musicians (and cuz my GF doesnt like the sound of clunker notes LOUD)...I have played guitar off and on in a love/hate sort of way for the last 30 years..... Never in a "serious" band..not even one.... I am probably the oldest "NEW" bassist around at 51 but I love music, mostly rock/blues and metal (i know..my id gives it away) though I am fascinated by bass playing in jazz settings..and I have always wanted to play bass, so,here I am...

When I am not hittin clunker notes on my Ibanez bass, I am working with automation and robots that make the explosive component in your vehicles air bags... Watchin sports, workin out, playin poker online, playin with my fiance (number 3), or smiling at my grand kids (2)....

Looking forward to learning something from everyone on this site and enjoying playing bass for the next 30 years or so...

PEACE

You are not as different as you may think and some here did pick up a bass or picked it up after a long hiatus later in life.

Don't be intimidated to jump in, we are a helpful bunch when we can be and many of us tend to go off topic quite often.

Welcome

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I am probably the oldest "NEW" bassist around at 51

Sorry, Metalhead. That is pretty much my claim to fame here...Slowfinger & I, at any rate. I first picked up a bass at 54. No shame in starting late.

Anyway, welcome. This is a great hang, peopled by friendly, helpful guys.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• 1 month later...
Hi everybody. My name is Chris, I'm 50 and I've been playing bass seriously for about 5 years. Original instrument was guitar and then I picked up drums about 15 yrs ago...still play drums when people need me but current band is all about the bass. I play a MM Bongo thru a Peavey Tour 115 + Mesa 2x10 cab with a Sansamp programmable DI and Line6 D50 wireless. Fun fun fun! The band, Downpour, currently writing and recording 1st album. Got some rehearsal recordings might get y'all's opinion at some point. Glad to be here and hope I can contribute a bit. Cheers!

Cheers!

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hey all! I have already been posting but I found this thread and thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Michael Wilson and I post as deathsdj here and a bunch of other forums about various things as well. I have played electric bass on and off as life permits since I was 18. I'm turning 46 on August 20th...

I consider myself a standard rock bassist. I play with a pick and I like to play stuff like early Metallica, Alice In Chains, Monster Magnet, as well as older classic rock and grunge/alternative. Basically any rock for the 70's through the 90's makes me happy.

I also sing when I play both backup and lead and singing is an important part of my being an amateur musician.

I have been out of playing for the last ten years while I started a family and bought a house but now I'm ready to get back to the thing I love.

I DJ in a strip club. I have had my current gig almost 7 years and have spent the last 23 in the business. I also occasionally do weddings and parties as a mobile DJ.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/deathsdj/DDJA_zps5613c0e1.jpg

Cheers!

MJW

Hello all. I guess this is a re-introduction, since my last post in this forum was in 2005. I couldn't believe that I was still able to sign back in after all these years. Anyhow, I'm now 64 and still playing bass full time. Yeah, I'm old, :D and have been playing since I was a kid, but that doesn't mean I know it all, I know I don't.

I hope to be able to make a meaningful contribution here once in awhile, maybe catch up with some old friends and learn a thing or two as well.

• 1 year later...
Hi. My name is Kenneth Francis Xavier Jansson and I'm a bass player.

And my name is Nancy Jean Jacqueline Marenche Sluiter Hopp. Nothing screams "Eisenhower Administration" like the name "Nancy Jean."

Now, don't go stealing my identity (which you probably can find online anyway), but guess who was President when I made my Confirmation.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Hi. My name is Kenneth Francis Xavier Jansson and I'm a bass player.

And my name is Nancy Jean Jacqueline Marenche Sluiter Hopp. Nothing screams "Eisenhower Administration" like the name "Nancy Jean."

Now, don't go stealing my identity (which you probably can find online anyway), but guess who was President when I made my Confirmation.

Let's see... Jacqueline, Jacqueline... I'm gonna guess Ford. I was a Nixon confirmation myself.

Push the button Frank.

Archived