Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

Hello everyone. My name is Josh and I live at the Jersey Shore. I am 16 (17 in exactly a week) and have been playing bass for a little over three years now. I have also recently taken up both the piano and guitar. I also I have been getting into music theory, Jazz, and classical. Those are things I never would have thought that I would be interested in. I currently don't have any real gigs but I do participate in a program called Rockademy (search it on youtube, I play bas on the song Like a Stone even though it was probably my worst performance ever) and I play with a band at my youthgroup every once in a while. I currently use a Fender Deluxe P Bass Special. I plan on going to college and study music in some way. I hope bass/music is in my life forever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey my name is Alex

i am not a professional player, i just got a double bass 3 months ago! i love it!

i am a student now, trying to make some music

you can hear it here

www.monadtunes.com

and here's a video i made some time ago with tapping

cheers

http://www.monadtunes.com

some tapping i did some time ago

http://www.youtube.com/user/mitb0r

Yes, sorry I should qualify my comments. I promised to try not to be negative on here. I'm not really tapped compositions in general (it never sounds as good as 2 players or one looped) although I use it myself for the odd note or slide here or there. So it wasn't intended as a slur on your playing or technique.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, I'm Kevin. I play bass in Captain Cutthroat out of Boston, MA. I've been playing for almost 14 years. My "light bulb moment" happened while watching Primus on tv at Woodstock 94. Being an 80's child I aspired to be a shredder but that day I became a slapper!

Some of the experiences with CC have been unbelievable. We traveled to Germany (no expenses paid) to play the Taubertal Festival, we recorded with Kris Smith (Dropkick Murphy's, Between the Buried and Me) and had it mixed by Niel Kernon (Hall & Oats, Peter Gabriel, Nile, Deicide) We have also made a lot of great friends who are now like Family.

So here I am! Cheers and I hope everybody's St. Patrick's Day hangover is burning off by now!!!!

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Hello all. My name is Reo and I'm hoping to start learning the bass. I got a beginner bass over 3 years ago from my wife for my birthday. I intended to learn back then, but had no time due to full time school, full time work, and full time marriage. Now that I'm graduated and work a normal day job, I'm hoping to pick it up. WEll, that and my 17 year old brother in law just bought a bass and it made me interested again.

I am a beginner in every sense of the word, I can't even read music. But I'm hoping to put forth some effort and learn how to play.

Oh, and if you're curious about the name, my dad was a huge REO Speedwagon fan, thus, my constantly misheard (Leo?) and misspelled(Rio) name.

• 4 weeks later...
My name is Harvey Gerst and right now I own a recording studio in North Texas, for about the last 10 years. I'm 66.

I was Director of Electronics at International Music Company in the 80s, where I designed the Charvel and Jackson amplifiers.

I also designed a lot of the Acoustic Control amplifiers in the late 60s and early 70s, including the Acoustic 360 and 370.

Before that, I designed the "F" series of loudspeakers at JBL in the early 60s, including the D140F, probably the first speaker ever designed specifically for bass players.

Bass reproduction has always fascinated me.

You sound fascinating yourself! Do you have a website we can check out to find out more about you?

Bass is key.

----

Warmoth custom 4 string

* Quilted maple top/mahogany

* Maple neck, ebony board

* Audere preamp; Lindy Fralin pickups

* Badass bridge; Hipshot tuners.

Thx Joe Mergens at Mojotone.

• 4 weeks later...

-Hi Everyone :wave:

I'm Tom . I have been lurking here for quite some time and learning a lot. I have also caught GAS in these forums.

I played bass when I was in high school but put it aside when I went into the Navy. So after 30 years of life getting in the way I am holding a bass again. Now to learn how to play :whistle:

Glad to meet you Low Downers.

Love your Neighbor; yet don't pull down your Hedge.

-Ben Franklin

• 3 weeks later...
... I wish our members would put more info about themselves in their profiles. I think it would enhance the forum.

Rocky

Funny you should say that - as a joke I list my modest gear in my sig for a Subaru forum - maybe I'll do the same here:

(I'll fix my profile in a minute)

---------------------------

03 Subaru Outback, no mods

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Hello to you all. My name is Rob. I am in the US Army, a lifer with 20 years. I bought my first bass, a Fender PBass, in 1983 and played fairly often, and for very little money. I decided that having to rely on gigging to pay the rent was taking the fun out of playing music. A few years later after OD'ing on Jack Kerouac novels, I sold my Fender Precision and most of my other worldly possessions in order to travel. I kick myself every day for having done so, and if anyone has a righty made lefty (and most likely back to righty) Fender PBass Serial # S909452, please contact me at robgski@hotmail.com. In any case, I stopped playing for almost 20 years as real life, family, and career took over. After my first Iraq tour, I vowed that I take up the bass again. I bought a Dean Perfomer CE in 2005, and a Fender Standard JBass in 2006 after playing in a pick up band in Ramadi. My main amp is a GK 200 MB combo, I'll buy a cabinet when I get into a band here, I just moved to Virginia. I also have a Fender BDEC, and it really is worth the money in my book; it makes practicing a lot more fun and productive. Being tone-deaf and arrhythmic, I need to practice a lot to learn new songs.

I like most music as long as it has a prominent groove line, or is just fun to play live.

Growing up listening to New York radio stations in the early '70's Motown R & B and Stax alongside Led Zep, the Beatles and Little Feat were probably my first influences. I love blues of all types, though electric stuff like Little Milton, Albert Collins, and Robert Cray really gets my attention, and I once saw Willie Dixon live in a studio performance for PBS.

Power Pop like Cheap Trick and the Smithereens is my guilty pleasure, but some newer alt bands have taken up the torch, so I am not stuck in the past. Jazz is a mixed bag for me, but I like the challenge of learning songs that are not I-IV-V three chord rockers. Tony Levin is one of my favorites, and I have tickets for the Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten show in August.

I've been lurking on the forum for a week or so, I think I'll like it here.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Hi, my name is Gus, well, where to start, I am 16, i started playing bass (orchestra) in 6th grade, for school strings class, and i loved it, i am still in it, and now I have discovered some local bands where i live, and am just looking for a place to discuss bass playing with fellow bassists and musicians, the funny thing is though, i dont have a true bass guitar, i have an upright bass, so i have to go Michael Anthony Style (untune a normal guitar) until i can buy a bass, so yea, hello everyone.

Welcome to all the recent lowdowners! Hang around and chat a while.

I might as well get it over with, I'm re-introducing myself. Many of you know me as "polyrhythm", but I decided to give myself a less generic name.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I guess I'll add to this. I started playing bass about 3 months or so ago after playing g****r on and off for about 15 years. Playing music really fell off when my first child was born about 8 years ago. Moving over to bass completely re-awakened my passion for playing music! Now I can't seem to put the bass down and I'm even relearning how to readu music (and finally learning some proper theory!). Too much fun.

I've been lurking on the forum since starting bass and I have to say its been great for tips, information and general motivation.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm Helge.

I am norwegian and lives in a little village called Ulefoss 20 miles south-east of Oslo.

I've been posting to this forum earlier, but the last year and half I've been too busy in my work as a project manager in a subsea, offshore company.

I play bass in different settings, my "main" band is a bluesband playing texas/chicago style blues spiced with a little funky stuff.

I also join a group playing folkrock stuff. I also do some shows and theater jobs.

My main bass is a T-bass. A Status made instrument for Trace Elliot back in the '90's. A great bass!

I also use an Alder semiaccustic bass whenever it's suitable.

I have also great pleasure of playing my Ashbory bass.

For amplification I use Ashdown ABM 500 type 2. This amp will be swapped for a Markbass TA-501 on of these days. My favorite loudspeakers are Eden. So I've got one 212 and one 210. This sound great for my kind of playing.

I started playing the bass in 1968, 13 years old.

The first years with the bass hanging low near my knees and with hair down on the back.

After the years past by, the bass went higher and the hair shorter. So today I should be playing the bass sticked to my forehead, cause my hair is almost gone...!;-)

I hope to be more active in this forum than I have been in the lately!

See you around!

-Helge

PS: My english is not the best part of me....

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" .- Jimi Hendrix

Your english is readable. I don't think we'll have a problem with it. We occationally have people from english speaking countries that type in ways that fellow countrymen can't understand.

Welcome Helge! We look forward to your input on the forum.

Archived