Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

Hola!!

My name is Salvador and I am from Puerto Rico. I live in Caguas, which is about 30 minutes from San Juan, the capital.

I've been playing bass for 18 years (I'm 36 by the way)and currently am playing in Church on Saturdays. The music is essentially latin music, and recently we got a cuatro player, so now we can give the music a flavor of "musica tipica".

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello. My name is Bob. I started playing bass in January of 1992. I'm 35 years old. My 2 passions in life (not counting my wife) are bass guitar and computers. I play mainly rock and metal, leaning more toward the Iron Maiden style of bass. I work for IBM doing server support.

I've been playing with the same guitarist my entire musical life. My brother also plays guitar and we've been playing together now for 8 years.

I've never played a gig outside a basement. My current bass gear includes:

Ken Smith custom 4-string fretless

Ibanez TRB-100 4-string

Lotus L700 4-string (1st bass)

Peavey Basic 60 combo (1st amp)

Peavey Firebass 700 II head

Peavey 810TVX cab (8x10" drivers)

Peavey 215D-BW cab (2x15" drivers)

Peavey Mark III Bass head

Ampeg PR-1528HE cab (1x15" 2x8" drivers)

Boss ME-50B effects board.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Rui, welcome!

I spent a Christmas in Madeira once. I've heard Steve is a great teacher and recommended him more tha once but haven't got round to studying with him myself yet. In time!

It is wise to get these differences straighted out before you have a joint checking account. - Rocky

Yep, the only way I get new gear is if I work extra and get some extra income. Oh, for a few function gigs!

Salvador,

Good to have you around. I have enjoyed the feel of what I have heard of music from Puerto Rico (and Puerto Ricans in New York). I heard that the dancing styles there are very distinct.

Welcome, Bob/yourlord,

Impressive gear list, I'm hoping you have a large basement and understanding neighbours!

;)

I cannot believe that I haven't posted to this thread since March! I feel ashamed!

PhilW I sure appreciate you stepping up and keeping this thread going.

My belated welcome to all the new folks here on the Lowdown, glad to have you with us!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Phil W.

Salvador,

Good to have you around. I have enjoyed the feel of what I have heard of music from Puerto Rico (and Puerto Ricans in New York). I heard that the dancing styles there are very distinct.

.....as long as you can feel the music, the dancing is not that hard..... unless you have two feet like me!

Originally posted by Phil W:

Welcome, Bob/yourlord,

Impressive gear list, I'm hoping you have a large basement and understanding neighbours!

;)

I am very pleased with my gear, and my neighbors have to just deal with it =)

My band mates hate how loud I can get. The guitarists both run 200W rigs and it's all they can do to compete =D ..

BTW, the Smith is just an incredible bass to play. If you get a chance I highly recommend you try/get one if you can get over the price tag.

Thanks for the welcome! I just found this forum the other day and look forward to sharing thoughts with others who share my passion for bass.

Delusional Mind

My name Is Mike Vande, and I live in Mission, Ks. a suburb of Kansas City. I have played bass and guitar for over 30 years, mostly rock, blues, folk and country. I played more than 20 of those years in one band, called at first Our Father's House Band and then The Good News Garage Band. I played both bass and guitar with them, and I miss that situation like my arm.

My bass rig is an SWR Workingman's 300 head(which I am looking to replace with something a bit louder), a Peavey 2x10, and a Bag End 1x15. I play an OLP MM35 string Stingray copy, and a Peavey Millenium fretless 5. I also have Yamaha RBX250 with a hot Kent Armstrong pickup, and it's about the best sounding fish I have.

I use a Bass POD XT for some things, but I have only really scratched the surface of what it will do. Mostly, I am using some pedals for additional tones; a Digitech Bass Distortion, A Boss Bass Chorus, a Digitech Compressor, and an Ashdown Sub-Octave pedal.

These days, I play on my church's worship team Sundays, and I'm somewhat diffidently looking for a band to play with, but I am not really sure what I am looking for. I guess I figure the right band will show up when it should, but I am beginning to wonder if I'll still be above ground when it does...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm Rick, but with such a common name, I thought I'd use my middle name instead. I'm a grandfather, an illustrator, and write software on the side. I've long felt that art can touch a person's heart, but music can reach a person's soul. At least that's how it works for me.

In high school I really wanted to play the guitar, but the money just wasn't there. I started playing bass only a couple of months ago, a MIM Fender Jazz I bought from a coworker. Within six weeks I played in public for the first time, with the praise band at church. I was petrified, but passed the "audition" and am thrilled they'll allow me to stay with them.

My wife used to sing in the church choir. My daughter played violin, clarinet, and sax in high school, and is now into piano. She and I hope her kids take up an interest in music, as well. My son is an audio technician and also composes and produces the music for his band. I think my kids were most influential in my decision to quit dreaming and actually learn to play something. I hope someday when we all get together we can do a family jam session.

As an illustrator, I might hope my work could someday touch someone's heart, but a musician has the potentital to touch a person's very soul.

jamming with family is the best. my rhythm guitarist is my brother, and my lead guitarist, who I've known since high school, might as well be my brother.

one day i hope one of my kids will take up keyboards and join the band, but it's not something I'm going to pressure. I believe music should be something you do because you love it, not because a parent rammed it down your throat.

Delusional Mind

Originally posted by yourlord:

I believe music should be something you do because you love it, not because a parent rammed it down your throat.

I agree, any form of art has to come from within. My son had no interest in any high school music program, but years after he graduated, his place looks like a recording studio. Actually, it is a recording studio. ;)

My oldest grandson asked to try my bass, so when I showed him how to play a few notes, he just beamed. If he later decides to pursue learning an instrument, I know he'll have plenty of family support, and if not, that's OK, too.

Reading all the bios in this thread, it's pretty clear we all play bass because we have a passion for it. Being a part of this online community, I think, strengthens that passion.

As an illustrator, I might hope my work could someday touch someone's heart, but a musician has the potentital to touch a person's very soul.

Here's the most recent shot (live action!) of the gig I played last night with one of my bands. Me and my fretless mmmmmmmmm

http://www.helparena.com/Me/rich-sars-dec28-2006a.jpg

*note: if the image is too large, let me know and I can reduce it, or if you have a "thumbnail" type UBB code*

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Hello everyone.. i have couple of names (yea.. dont ask lol) but mostly i go by Aroom. i turned 19 abuot 2 months ago, i play bass, piano, and little bit of guitar and drum

i was forced to learn piano when i was 6 (just like all the other asians) til i told my mom that i dont want to do this anymore in 3rd grade.

then when i moved into the states my house had nothing but a piano because everything was in process of getting shipped, so i started once again in 6th grade on my own

then i learned the basic bass stuff when i was in 8th grade but didn't really have access until like a year ago or so, i guess that makes me a noob lol

hmm what else.. i participated in this medical research for money back in senior year and found out that i have relative pitch (i knew it but never realized it til then) but not a perfect one. i'm satisfied with it though

have a nice rest of the 2006 everyone :)

Hello. My name is Bob. I started playing bass in January of 1992. I'm 35 years old. My 2 passions in life (not counting my wife) are bass guitar and computers. I play mainly rock and metal, leaning more toward the Iron Maiden style of bass. I work for IBM doing server support.

I've been playing with the same guitarist my entire musical life. My brother also plays guitar and we've been playing together now for 8 years.

I've never played a gig outside a basement. My current bass gear includes:

Ken Smith custom 4-string fretless

Ibanez TRB-100 4-string

Lotus L700 4-string (1st bass)

Peavey Basic 60 combo (1st amp)

Peavey Firebass 700 II head

Peavey 810TVX cab (8x10" drivers)

Peavey 215D-BW cab (2x15" drivers)

Peavey Mark III Bass head

Ampeg PR-1528HE cab (1x15" 2x8" drivers)

Boss ME-50B effects board.

oh wow.. i pay both homage and jealousy to your gears. i'm an art school student and i'm trying to save enough money to buy a les paul (and i have beginner's ibanez bass)

yea i'm a bit on the odd side lol

nice to meet you

Go for it, Aroom- Les Paul basses rule!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/Awestruckdan/Gear/LesPaul5.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/Awestruckdan/Gear/bassbunch2.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/Awestruckdan/Awestruck%20band%20photos/DanNewYearEveParty.jpg

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

we're about to hijack this thread into a "post pics of your babies" thread but here is my pride and joy..

Ken Smith Custom BSR4EG 4 string lined fretless

BSR Elite 'G'

* Neck-thru body design

* Neck Wood: Rock Maple

* Fingerboard: Macassar Ebony

* Core Wood: Hawaiian Koa

* Neck Laminate Wood: Morado (Pau-Ferro)

* Body Laminate Wood: Walnut

* Top Wood: AAAA Quilted Maple

* Back Wood: AAA Quilted Maple

* Electronics:

o Active with 3-band EQ

o Pickup fader (N/B)

o Passive mode switch

o Pickup coils are switchable between series and parallel operation

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/smithangle072306.jpg

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/smithback072306.jpg

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/smithcloseup072306.jpg

Delusional Mind

That was in my, "I'm single and making a ton of money, lets buy a $4k bass with it!!" phase about 5 years ago.

Now I'm in the, "I'm married with kids and can buy 1 $200 piece of gear every 3 years." phase.

You are not alone, my new friend.

Welcome, everybody. :wave:

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• 2 weeks later...
My name is David J and I play bass, even though I only played for 1 year. I played piano when I was young, but i quit before I got in to middle school. I live in New Jersey and I go to high school.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3009/bassfishcn3.th.gif

Sorry if this posts twice... this is my second try ;)

My name's Matt, and I'm 29, living in Richmond, VA.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years but made bass my main focus 10 years ago.

I play bass in a couple different bands but most of my work is studio session bass.

Gear: Two USA Fender Jazz Deluxe basses (4-string fretless, 5-string fretted.)

Amp: Aguilar 500 sc

Speakers: Epifani 110 UL, and an Aguilar GS 112 (I run these together).

Love this Forum!

live in the now

Hi everyone. I'm 33, and I live in the Detroit area. I've been playing bass for almost 22 years now...has it really been that long? :D

I started off playing heavy rock and eventually discovered underground rock, folk, and garage music, and that brought me to where I am now - I love soul music and rhythm and blues (not R&B, there is a difference). My current gear is a Rickenbacker 4003 and a hilarious old Yamaha amp and 15" cabinet that sounds like dirt but I love it anyway.

I'm planning on buying a new bass - a Stingray HH 4-string - and selling the Rick. Honestly I got married a few years back and my musical career has been in freefall for a while, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

I like a very few bass players - Jameson & Dunn are at the top of a short list - but my favorite music is stuff like Steely Dan, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder...classy rhythm and blues music.

I also have mad love for Gordon Lightfoot, the Carpenters, Cat Stevens, and John Denver. That's right, I said it, I ain't afraid to admit it.

Welcome vay, Moop, n logicamsfvmwrjgifk. :)

This is the place to be for the low note scene... uugghhh. horrriiibble rhyme, this isn't my best time or catchiest line. What is wrong with me? My typing has taken over. Red Rover Red Rover. Can't stop.. much reach for the top... If there are rocks ahead... we'll all be dead. Stop that rhyming I mean it... anyone got a peanut???

uuuuggghhh!!

Brocko

oh, welcome aboard

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Originally posted by robb.:

Originally posted by vayama:

Hi everyone. I'm 33, and I live in the Detroit area. I've been playing bass for almost 22 years now...

where in the area do you live? do you gig? there's a few of us around here. i live up in royal oak.

robb.

Robb,

I'm coming straight out of Dearborn. I absolutely love it here, haters can vacate.

I haven't gigged in a few years on account of trying to live a respectable life, and probably all the places I have known and loved are boarded up, you know how it is in the D. The Gold Dollar was a personal fave.

Soooo...you live in RoyOak? How does it feel to be overrun by aging baby boomers every weekend? :D

Archived