Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

Hi everyone,

Welcome to all the other new folks here.

I've been reading for a few weeks and figure it is finally time to jump in.

Having never played an instrument before, I bought an amp and bass a couple years ago at 40 years old.

I'm having a devil of a time with it. I was taking lessons for the first year, but not spending enough practice time each week. I'm not positive this is true, but I think my instructor was giving me a lot of material that was beyond me. It felt that way anyhow. Practicing seemed like an exercise in frustration more than anything else.

I stopped lessons completely this past summer and didn't do much with the bass for a few months.

In early September, I started working with a few of the books that I've picked up over the past couple of years. I have been spending time with them and my bass almost everyday, and feel I've progressed more in these couple of months than in the year and a 1/2 or so before. I'm going slow but steady, and feeling much more enthusiastic.

So that's my story. I'm definitely looking forward to participating here....

o-b

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello lowdowners! My name is Nate. I've been mulling around here for a number of weeks and thought I should introduce myself.

I live in North Carolina - the land of heat and humidity. During the day I pretend to be the manager of a commercial Audio Visual contracting department within a larger company. I am also planning to open a recording studio with additional rehearsal spaces to rent to local groups as soon as I can work out all the financial particulars.

I've been holding down the bottom end for about 12 years and am just off of a hiatus of about 3 years. So now I'm working hard to build the chops back up. I look forward to all the helpful advice you guys have to offer.

older-beginner,

I know what you speak of; I started on bass just over eight years ago, and the progress at first was just excrutiating, especially never having been very good with my hands. Frustrating because I had a lot of experience in other areas of music and on horns. But just plug along, soon things will pick up : }

welcome mighty thumb. You are meet a lot of great people on this forum. You definatly came to the right place. It is a garantee that you will gain more knowlege and wisdom about bass playing here, I know I already have and it has only been a few months. Once again welcome!!!

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

• 1 month later...

Hello!

My name is Tom and I've been reading this forum for a while now and have posted a few times under the name of Dogger. Lately I've read a few posts that have really made an impact on my practice routine and I wanted to thank you all and also hopefully get to know you all better.

I play a Fender Jazz 5 as part of my church worship team and have an interest in jazz as well - have worked through Ed Friedland's Building Walking Bass Lines book.

These are the two posts I was talking about:

scales:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/5/t/006553.html

practice records

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/5/t/013449.html

Happy Holidays!

Tom

Hello! My name is Tom (actually its written "Tomaz") im 19, from Slovenia (Europe).

I've been playing bass for around 3 years and i currently play in a hard rock band.

I am also a student of machanical engineering.

My gear:

Guitar - Squier Jazz Bass Standard Series with Fender custom 60's JB pickups, Fender JB knobs and Fender bridge and neck pickup covers (on pic "avatar").

Amp(s) - A vintage "Melodija Menges" head from the 80's, 200w transistor 4ohm. + A homemade box with a Behringer 15inch 350W speaker in it.

Hopefully gonna buy the Ibanez SW100+SW115S rig after new year.

Other gear - Zoom BFX 708 pedal, has a pretty damn good compression on it :) and a drum machine + metronome.

Thats all :D

:wave:

Hey all!

I'm Jerry Brock aka BROCKO....and I am a recovering bass player for the past 20+ years. No matter how hard I try I fall off the wagon a matter of days and disappear in to a smokey club, dance hall, VFW lounge or anywhere else I can get a fix. My current addictions are a customized P Bass and a Carvin 6 string fretless [ouch]. SWR is my BA buddy [bassist Anynomous] <-- that ain't spelled right is it? My alter ego is and airbrush artist you can see my stuff [including gutiar and Bass art] at www.brocko.com paint cheese and music is my basic concerns in this life... hmm you can throw in women and cycling also.

I hope you can continue the support I [and everyone else here] obviously need!

Peace Paint N Progressions

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

My turn! My turn!

My name's Tim. I'm a happily married 40-year-old paramedic living near Nashville, but my hometown was a lot like Mayberry in the old Andy Griffith reruns. As you could probably imagine, bass players are as thick as peanut butter around here. I play primarily in our church Worship Band, so I get to play almost every style of music you can hear.

My roots are in Southern and Classic Rock. I played with the same "touring" bar band for the first 15 years I have been playing bass (a total of 25 or so now). I also do some studio work around town, but not for anybody you've heard of yet. My main bass influences are Leon Wilkerson (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Tim Schmidt (Eagles), Banner Thomas and Riff West (Molly Hatchet), Leon Medica (LeRoux), Kasim Sultan (Meatloaf), Kenny Gradney (Little Feat), Duck Dunn and Nathan East (Clapton), and Larry Jungstrom (.38 Special). There are others to thank/blame for me playing bass, but the list is too long for me to try to include here. I have really expanded my horizons in the last ten years, all because of our Worship Pastor, Wayne Berry. I have learned to incorporate, among other styles, jazz, California pop, funk, and even some African sounds into my playing, so my style is best summed up as Chameleon. :confused:

I play the same Fender Precision that I bought in 1981. It's a natural wood finish with a black pickguard. I haven't modified it in any way. My current amp is a Carvin RB600 with a 2x10 w/tweeter cabinet. I play throught a Digitech BP200 modeling pedal, so I only use the power amp and graphic EQ from the Carvin. I also use a Boss WS 100 wireless system I bought in the early 90's. It appears that when I find something that works, I stick with it. This is a great comfort to my wife. :D I do aspire to own a Dingwall bass someday, and a 1x15 cabinet for the Carvin to really take advantage of its biamp capability.

I recently started taking lessons from Roy Vogt. I have learned how to make playing more comfortable, and am starting to read music instead of chord charts. I am also learning more about theory, so I know more about why I play what I play. My favorite thing about Roy, though, is that he started off by telling me that no matter how much "math" I learned, music would always be more about "heart". The little balck dots are just the language used to convey what your heart's saying. I like that.

But enough about me. Let's get on with the bass talk!

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

New to the Forum. Played bass 25 years ago. Began playing again 3 years ago. Mostly blues. Wife is incredibly supportive. She makes me practice (bless her). She goes bass shopping (looking) with me and she thinks I should form a band again. Life is good.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

My name's Jim.

My folks bought my first g****r for me in 1968. I don't remember the brand, but it came from the local TG&Y store. Anybody remember TG&Y? If you do you're getting old.

Played that instrument until 1979 and my first bass was a '63 Precision. I currently own a P Special, Jazz fretless, and Jazz 5 string.

I've been in many bands playing R&R, rock, blues, soul, old R&B, and country; and have done my share of traveling throughout Missouri, Kansas and Illinois. Now I play weekly for my church's Worship Team.

I worked in constuction for 30 years and am currently employed by The Sherwin Williams Company as a Color Blender.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Hey people,

My name is Don and I've been playing bass somewhere around 17 years. Damn, time flies by...

Anyway, I live in San Diego, CA and I play bass for Under The Stone. (www.myspace.com/underthestone) Our style of music is Swedish influenced Metal and little bits of other bands from various countries around the globe. With our current line up, we've been playing for about a year now, with 6 months worth of shows.

I play with a pick and my fingers. I switch back and forth depending on the song and/or vibe of the riff. Whatever is appropiate, you know?

The biggest challenge that I have recently encountered is studio recording. Holy Crap is it night and day compared to live playing. It can be really depressing to hear yourself recorded, hahaha. And that's what I'm working on perfecting.

Anyway, here's a list of what I rock:

4 string 2005 Warwick Corvette $$ (Double Buck)

5 string 2003 ESP LTD F-205

GlockenKlang Soul Head

Ampeg B4R (currently using as a slave for the GlockenKlang until I get a proper power amp.)

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (2x15. and I'm thinking about adding 4x10's or simply replacing with 8x10 to get more clarity and more punch.)

OK, so that's me. Good to meet all of you.

Don :evil:

My name is Tai.

I've been teaching myself to play bass over the past 3.5 yrs. Other than that I have no previous playing experience with any type of instrument. I don't post much but I'm almost always here, even while at work. I'm a sytems administrator for a software development company in Atl.

:wave:

Welcome aboard Newbie's! Glad to have you here and joining the conversation. This is the best Bass forum on the net, so enjoy! :wave:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I just got my first bass yesterday and it seemed pretty well setup. I tuned it and popped in the teaching DVD. Tonight, I worked out the bass intro to Interpol - Evil. I've wanted to be able to play that since I Carlos play it in concert in Niagra Falls!

I suck, but that just means I can only get better!! :D

My name is Bob Lee, and I've been a bass player since 1978. I live and work in Costa Mesa, California, and in recent years I've been playing in some local Orange County bands and occasional freelance gigs but am currently bandless, except for my regular Sunday playing at 5 o'clock Mass at St. Joachim's Church.

I've also been in the pro audio industry for about the same length of time I've been a bassist, starting with doing repair, maintenance, and custom electronic work for a recording studio in Connecticut when I was about 19, and over the years working my way through various companies like Sennheiser, Crest Audio, and QSC, where I'm currently an applications engineer.

I'm very interested in audio education, so I'm also active in the Audio Engineering Society (www.aes.org), having been a committee member, Webmaster, newsletter editor, and chairman of the Los Angeles section, which has nearly 1000 members. I'm also workshops co-chair for the upcoming convention in San Francisco in October.

Bob Lee

(sorry, not the BassLand Bob Lee)

QSC Audio

Hey Bob,

Glad to see you here. I have two PLX3402 for PA. Nice to have a rack that weighs so little yet can light up any club around here and then some.

And hopefully we can appreciate some AES-level knowledge around here.

Dudes, and Sir's and others...

I would like to introduce myself. I've been enjoying Lowdowners for a few months now. My name is John. I am 56 years old and live in North San Diego, California. I have been playing bass for I suppose 30 years??? Went to BIT around 1982/83.

I play a 73 P.Bass, also have a G&L ASAT 4 string and an older Upright Bass that I use once in a while. I have been in lots of bands, none very successful in certain terms but I suppose it got me here. I have a jazz singer, g..... player, songwriter, wife who helps to make life interesting. I am not playing a whole lot lately, taking a few bass lessons every now and then, definitly still learning. I also have played for my church for many years, but, just changed to Calvery Chapel which plays more praise music and a more direct message which I enjoy. Love the Lord! Anyway, thanks for your efforts and information, looking foward to adding my 2cents every now and then.

Although I joined LDLD a few weeks ago I suppose I should introduce myself.

I am a rock n roll tragic who somehow or other was never in the right place to get involved in making music when I was a kid. But still, every so often the thought came to me what would have happened if I had played in a band when I was younger. After many years of playing acoustic guitar (badly still cant do barre chords reliably) to myself, the opportunity came to me recently when I found out about the Weekend Warriors program , went along to the jam and picked up a bass (a black Fender Precision) for the first time. I signed up, the band I was put into is a great bunch of like minded tragics who get along really well, and I have been playing for about 3 months now. As I said in my first post, now I'm having just about as much fun as you can have standing up, playing in a rock band for the first time. I've got a L O N G way to go, but hey, I'm only 62.

Since I do not own a bass, the rhythm git asked his mate who had and old bass in the cupboard if I could have a lend, so I play what seems to be a cheap 70s copy of a Fender Jazz

(see http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/5/t/013573/p/1.html#000000 ).

The school I work for as a computer technician has lent me a Behringer BX1200 combo for the long summer school vacation, which is very nice of them. When I get some spare cash I'll go shopping for a good entry level bass - quite like the ESP LTD at the mo - has more life than a Squier imho.

I call myself slowfinger for obvious reasons firstly because I have trouble playing 8 to the bar reliably, and usually play only the root at 4 to the bar. However, I have a good beginners book and access to a great git (and bass) teacher here at school, and am developing dexterity and a few bass cliches, and secondly as a reference to EC.

I cant remember how I found this forum probably while googling Fender Squier but I liked what I saw, lurked a bit and then signed up. This is the nicest forum I belong to, Others have said its because of the nature of bass players to be supportive team players. I am very glad to have found this place. It is totally non non non bogus.

Now a word about Weekend Warriors.

I dont know whether this scheme exists in other parts of the world, but it should. It is a great program. We rehearsed for our Warriors gig once a week for a month using our own gits etc but with their amps and PA etc. I could have used a Warriors bass if I wanted . We also practiced and learnt songs individually and as a band as well. (Ask me about Drum Powers rehearsal spaces in Bayswater a paragon of rock n roll grot!). We were very fortunate to have as our coach a very experience musician who had worked (as lead git) in some of Australias top bands of the 70s and 80s he did not teach us how to play, but guided us about performance, bandcraft, gave tips about lead breaks etc. He made an enormous difference to the way we ended up sounding, and consequently to the way the band came together.

My real name is Jim. Thanks, I love yers all.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Hi all!

Stumbled across this place while looking up some bass stuff....

I'm actually a percussionist first.. after being laughed at for how un-melodic some songs I was attempting to write were, I was told I should take up another instrument. Guitar strings are too darn small and I'm friends with a great bass player/teacher so.. viola! That was 4 months ago... played last night at the same jam I used to play drums at and enjoyed it. Am finding my drum background helps on bass! Have a ton of questions :) . I bought my own bass after borrowing for two months (and living in moral trepidation I was going to break it).. I have a peavey millenium bxp 4 string-love it! Just put nylon wound strings on it (and my fingers thank me) as i am learning mostly blues. Only own a crate practice amp and one of these days (when I get better) will spring for a "real" amp.

Hope to see ya'll around!

Hey there everyone,

My name is Jay and I'm a GASaholic.I live in a very small town in west-central Ohio.I've been playing bass off and on for about 10 years now,but only have around 40-50 shows under my belt.I signed up on here a few months ago and figured I'd better say hello to everyone.I would have to say that in the very short time that I've been reading posts,I've learned more about bass gear and other related topics than I have my whole time playing in the past.I've learned a lot and have many quiestions of my own to ask.I am very pleased to know that there is a forum out there that is willing to teach the ignorant(myself)without flaming them.I'm looking forward to being a part of this community,even if only being the student.

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.

Plato

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Sorry it's taken so long to post this thread but I finally just wanted to formally introduce myself. I've been on the fringe here for a few months now, mostly just reading but occasionally posting.

My name is Rob, I play an Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling and a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman. I use a Euphonic Audio iAmp500 through two EA CxL 112L 12" speaker cabs. The only effects I use very occasionally are an Electro Harmonix Bassballs and a Boss ODB-3 Overdrive.

I'm 33 and I've been playing bass for around 8 years, but I started out as a drummer. Even though I was never a particularly spectacular drummer, I like to think it gave me a good rhythmic understanding which I have utilised to much better effect on bass. Although I toyed with the idea, I have no real desire to learn guitar, I would much rather commit myself to the instrument that gives me the most satisfaction.

My current gigs are a Funk\Soul band in Exeter, Devon called the Soul J's and a Funk band in Coventry, West Midlands called Jakamo. I have the gig of a lifetime coming up this month with the Soul J's as we are supporting the legendary Maceo Parker.

I have no real aspirations for greatness, I play because I love to play.

You guys have a great community here, it's enjoyable to be able to participate in mature, adult discussions.

This forum is truly educational.

Thanks

Rob

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Hi All!

My name is Rod and I mostly lurk and mine the vast golden knowledge that is here at this forum.

I'm 38 and have been playing for only 10 months. I only wish I had discovered the joy that learning and playing music brings 20 years ago. Well I did try a guitar when I was a teen but it was a total disaster. Perhaps because I'm a true lefty and I didn't know that lefty gear even existed at the time.

Gearwise, I have a genuine P-Bass Ho that I picked up for $80 on the bay. At first it was a tough challenge trying to get my finger's dexterity up to a decent level but it's getting better. Eventually, thanks to you guys I realized that the action was a mile high but when I tried to adjust the truss rod it seemed pretty determined not to move. So as not to take any chances (thanks again guys), I got a local luthier to look it over and he ended up shimming the neck and levelling the frets to get it in the ballpark. Fast forward a few months and I lowered the action down pretty low. (thanks again) Now it plays wonderfully. :)

I also have an Ibanez SDGR300DX lefty (strung BEAD) and enjoy it much as well. It hadn't needed any adjustments at first but about a month ago the neck was getting a noticeable bow and the action had crept up accordingly. It was now an easy adjustment to handle (thanks again).

For amps I'm using Yorkville combos (XM50 and a BM400) and for effects I have a Beringer Bass V-Amp. I had no knowledge of Beringer's controversial nature here at the time I bought it. I'm happy with them all.

I'm currently gigless and bandless but that's ok as I don't think I'm skilled enough to be in a band yet. However, I'm getting there though (practice, practice, practice...) and I think that eventually that will change. :)

Lately I've been reading a lot more about music theory and it's slowly seeping in I think. It's kind of funny. Just 10 months ago I just wanted to play AC/DC tunes and now I'm exploring Blues and R&B and am getting a great desire to be able to come up with my own basslines.

Yes indeed, this forum is a jewel. The info here is priceless (and occasionally side-splitting :D ). The maturity level here is far greater than on any other forum that I've been on (none of them were music though).

This is a great community here. Thanks for the belated musical education that I'm now getting.

Cheers

Rod (aka Newf) :thu:

Archived