Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jones/Bonham/Page/Plant

xhawk4

A little thread about the release of Led Zeps new/old stuff got me to listening.......

If your young and don't know much about some of the grooves that happened with Led Zep, or even older like myself and just havent listened in a while... Please do your self a favor. Download or plug-in Dazed and Confused live from The Song Remains The Same Soundtrack, I know....Oh boy, Dazed & Confused...... But Wait..... Start the track at about 15 minutes in..... Listen and cry. Holy crap. Wow 17.05 mins pretty jiggy. I love it and will always think of Jones and Bonham as one of the best groove teams ever. Haven't heard this in a while.

Any other favorite grooves? Reply here! I wan't to check em out.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The single greatest Led Zeppelin groove EVER, and certainly the most underrated/ignored, is "The Wanton Song" from Physical Graffiti. So overlooked, in fact, that Rage Against The Machine TOTALLY STOLE IT for "People Of The Sun" and nobody said a word. :mad:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

The single greatest Led Zeppelin groove EVER, and certainly the most underrated/ignored, is "The Wanton Song" from Physical Graffiti. So overlooked, in fact, that Rage Against The Machine TOTALLY STOLE IT for "People Of The Sun" and nobody said a word. :mad:

I'll have to dig out Physical Graffiti because I can't think which song that is. "People of the Sun" is one of the baddest tracks ever - if only the rest of Evil Empire lived up to that intro...

A lot of people rave on about the bass tone on RATM's first album but it's that huge jazz bass sound on Evil Empire that does it for me.

Alex

Alex

The Wanton song is awesome, People of the sun, in my opinion, isn't quite related. But I can hear some similarities.

Check out the album...Presence. Very Underrated and overlooked.

Dude...

I talk about them lifting that riff all the time. I noticed it right away.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'm not crazy about the whole "Song Remains the Same" concert. There's some decent moments, but compared to some other bootlegs and official live discs, they had a couple off nights when that movie was filmed.

That version of "Dazed" is a bit plodding and unfocused, IMO.

And the "fantasy sequences" make me want to go to sleep. Why oh why do I have to watch Jimmy Page scale a mountain or Robert Plant have a swordfight in slow motion?

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I'm not crazy about the whole "Song Remains the Same" concert. There's some decent moments, but compared to some other bootlegs and official live discs, they had a couple off nights when that movie was filmed.

That version of "Dazed" is a bit plodding and unfocused, IMO.

And the "fantasy sequences" make me want to go to sleep. Why oh why do I have to watch Jimmy Page scale a mountain or Robert Plant have a swordfight in slow motion?

Seventies bombast, my friend. The real shame about that movie is that the best track in it, "Since I've Been Loving You," is not on the soundtrack.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

"The real shame about that movie is that the best track in it, "Since I've Been Loving You," is not on the soundtrack."

Damn straight!!! That was a great song, & a great performance. And it's CLEARLY the best moment in the whole film--they're really on for that tune, & they capture the whole audience in Madison Square silent, still, & mesmerized, almost reverent, while that one plays (heck, even the cops are listening!).

Strange as it sounds, given all the hype around them, I've always thought their light--their really BEST work--was hidden under a bushel.

(And ditto that "Presence" is underrated--even more so, I think, is III, especially side 2!)

Mmmmmm... Led Zep

Personally I'da thought the songs from Houses Of The Holy woulda made a better concept movie. Bombastic 70's or not. The 101 Guitars of Jimmy Page still rock.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Huh? The title "The Song Remains the Same" is taken from the first track on "Houses of the Holy." The soundtrack also includes that tune, plus "The Rain Song" and "No Quarter." You got some splainin to do. :D:D (Probably I've just not taken your meaning. I never heard Ricky say that, though.)

Actually, the stuff from "Houses" didn't really work so well on the live album/movie. On "Houses" they were, to my ears, trying a new concept of recording--more complex textures built up in layers, rather than just a wall of distortion. Live, all they could was the distorted wall, so the "Houses" stuff didn't completely translate. (Part of it, too, is that they'd probably become prisoners, esp. in live settings, of the popularity of their earlier style.) Not bad for what it was, but very different from (& not as intricate as) what they were doing on "Houses."

I have to agree about Presence. "Nobody's Fault But Mine" is one of the reasons I play bass! (mmmmm, 8 string...)

Also have to agree that Jonesy and Bonzo were the heart of the band.

And off nights? Zeppelin? Must be thinking of some other group... :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived