Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you name your basses?

Cup

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wally Malone:

[/QB]Dave, I hear what you're saying. I've been really fortunate to have the opportunities to work with real professional drummers. You're right, nothing is worse than working with a bad drummer.

Wally[/QB]

Right. All of this was going on when we were based in Texas, in the 70's and early 80's, And were hiring drummers to travel with us for $250-$350 a week. I no longer own a drum machine for live work (though the loops and sequences I work with here in the studio are often more annoying to me than drum machines - probably because no live musicians were endangered during the making of these tracks...).

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Yeah, i don't see any reason not to. If its important in you're life seems only right to give it a name. My Ibanez is called after one of my friends and she will kill me if she reads this so you'll excuse me if i don't tell. Can't think of a nane for the G&L yet.
"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Never named my basses but there was a time period years ago where I was in a duo that used a drum machine, Obe R Heim from LA was the way he was introduced. Obe for short.

Wally

I used to jam with this guy too, real solid cat!

Also, ever hear of a drummer named Roland Hine? Middle name Mac?

Roland Mac Hine? Totally kickin'...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hey sweaty b where at in Indy?? I actually reside down in Greenwood/Center Grove area. Its good to see a fellow Indiana resident around me.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

OT: How's the jazz scene in Indy? Good Ol' P-Town has rock bands, mostly cover, a few indie. Though its on the Northern side of Indiana, so its within a few hours of Chicago.

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

"I was fortunate, mine came with names on them already."

That's how it is for me, too. One is named 4003, one is Jazz Bass, and one is Sterling. I just have to keep them away from my cat, American Shorthair, and my dog, Boston Terrier. I like to play them for my children, whom I call My Children.

...I know, I know, try the veal... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by carl_yaffey:

Yeah, I once named a bass 'Fontaella" - get it?

carl, welcome to the Lowdown, glad to see you made past the initial problem of getting registered.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I've never named my basses. It always seemed a silly thing to do. I call 'em "my fretted" or "my fretless" or "my upright."

Pretty creative, huh?

Hey, we call our basses the same thing!! WOW!! My fretless can beat up your 'my fretted'. :D:D

Honestly, I never even considered naming anything I have, own, or is otherwise connected to my body in some fasion. Seemed rather pointless to me.

Archived