Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite DRUMMER??

bassaddik

Yes indded, Wally, the same Jim Kassis we're talking about. I've never played with him but I did get to hear him play with a guitar/B-3/drum combo with Adam Levy and Rob Burger when we shared Monday nights at Bruno's in SF some years ago. Jim's one of those incredibly tasty and inventive players with great melodic and dynamic sense. He can swing like mad with brushes at low volume and he can lay down greasy backbeat funk without (hardly)ever playing on 'ONE'.

Cheers,

Joe

Spankin' the plank all the way to the bank!

JoeKyleJr.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man there is a ton of great drummers out there. I'll stick to one that I saw live that impressed me. I went to a clinic that Ray Reindeau was doing with Neil ZaZa, and Bobby Rock. I was very impressed with Bobby Rock.

But hey I'm a big Chad Smith fan to.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by kjt:

3.carmen appice(the cactus years)

Capasso, where are you?! ;)

I posted earlier on this thread, but given some of what I've been listening to recently, I've got to say that Tony Williams and Mike Clark have been blowing my mind. To quote James Brown, "Good God!!!"

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have recently played a few gigs with a young drummer (24 or 25 yrs old) named Chad Souza. A smooth, organic, groove machine. I don't even thinks he owns more drums than the HUGE kick, piccolo snare, hi-hat and ride that he always brings to the gig. Insane feel.

Almost Gadd like. :love:

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by kjt:

3.carmen appice(the cactus years)

Capasso, where are you?! ;)

Oh I saw that, but let it go. I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that there were reasons for the "Cactus years" comment. If you listen to Carmine's work with Rod Stewart, it's solid but less noteworthy (same with Tim Bogert).

My favorite bit of Appice-trivia (which Carmine loves to show people) is to watch Vanilla Fudge doing "Shotgun" on Ed Sullivan. Carmine ends the song with a drum solo. This was '68-'69 and they were touring with a new British group named Heavy Balloon, or Ponderous Dirigible, or something. Anyway, it seems that Carmine's solo in '69 found it's way on to the end of a song called Rock And Roll....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov-Capasso:

...This was '68-'69 and they were touring with a new British group named Heavy Balloon, or Ponderous Dirigible, or something. Anyway, it seems that Carmine's solo in '69 found it's way on to the end of a song called Rock And Roll....

Tom

I believe the group was Weighty Inflatable (or, maybe, it was Big Ol' Friggin' Blimp? :confused: ), and they went on to great success. I think the bass player's stage name was the same as some sea captain's name -- Jolly Roger or Blackbeard or something... :D

Haven't you mentioned one of their hit songs in the past? "Hairway to Steven" or some such rubbish? :D

Bonus points for Capasso for using the word "dirigible" in a sentence! You don't see that every day! ;)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived