Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite DRUMMER??

bassaddik

stew copeland, bonzo, john stanier, the cat who played with p-diddy and jimmy page on saturday night live when they did that kashmir thing, and todd trainer.

but the cat i'm just groovin the shit outta with right now is a guy named brian luckey. remember that name.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another vote for Neal Peart. The man changes times and beats so flawlessly...makes a grown man cry.

However, in my limited experience, Donny Osmond's oldest son, Don, is a fantastic drummer and great to play with. And who knows, some of you might have heard of a guy who worked the New Orleans jazz circuit a fair amount in the 70's, John Rugg. He's a longtime family friend, and coincidentally, called me this morning to invite me to come play with some friends of his. From talking to him, he's got HUGE expectations for me, so I guess I'd better practice a lot in the next two weeks!

Originally posted by Translucent Red:

Oh, Charlie Watts is more than just a tasteful timekeeper, bassdrummer. He's one of those drummers we've all heard about that somehow play melody on the skins (see "Shattered" and "Soul Survivor"). That sort of thing is associated with jazz drummers, which is what Charlie Watts is, a jazzy drummer, of course (see The Charlie Watts Big Band, the jazz band he fronts). Or: Why do you think the Stones still break all records on tour? It's a-l-l about Charlie Watts, the Buddy Rich of R&R...that's why.

Well said! Amen to that.

:thu:

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by Grave:

> Jeff Pocaro

> Horacio Hernandez

> Tom Walling

> Simon Phillips

> Cozy Powell

I knew there would be another Jeff Porcaro fan out there somewhere! That shuffle groove he laid down on "Rosanna" from Toto IV is somehow so smooth that other drummers like me will tell you it's virtually impossible to duplicate!

"All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see your eyes . . .

Rosanna, Rosanna . . . "

Oh yeah, what a groove! Time to go practice.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

I got to play with my dream drummer, JD Blair at a Church a few months ago. now I am working on Futureman.
you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

I'm saddened to not have seen Manu Katché's name mentioned yet.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Well, I'd say (no specific order):

Simon Phillips

Vinnie Colaiuta

Ian Paice

Neil Peart

Dave Garibaldi

Will Calhoun

Jeff Porcaro

Kenny Aronoff

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Mike, you're not the On The Corner variety of Michael Henderson are you?

Alex

My extreme comfusion to your statement assures me that the answer is no. It's not exactly a very unique name (thank you Mom 'n Dad).

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

• 3 weeks later...
Mike Portnoy from Dream Theatre,He's one of the best I ever heard but Im not to familar with the others posted, but a drummer a friend and I checked out was dam good his self but anyways he let us listen to some technical jazz drummers.....amzing stuff to hear.
Pete Combs...

Hmm,

Dave Weckl

Bonzo

Buddy Rich (wouldn't want to be in his band, from the stories I've heard)

Peter Erskine

Futureman

Andy Narell

Jaco Pastorius

Animal

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

?uestlove

Buddy Miles (who i swear is ?uestlove's dad or somethin)

Alex Acuna (not sure if i spelled his name right, but he used to play for Weather Report)

Diamond (Ohio Players)

And the Sly Stone drummer (forgot his name)

Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

Definately Neil Pert!!! Also like Tommy Lee and Robert Sweet(Stryper) Loved his symbals on chains !! Robert was probably one of the best in his day and very underated in my opinion! His style of spinning his swivel chair and hitting drums all around him was too cool!!!
Set the pace.......add more Bass!!

Brendan, Andy Narell is a friend of mine, I'll tell him you listed him on a list of great drummers.

I knew he played drums, I've seen him do it, but I wasn't aware that he ever played drums on a record.

For those of you who don't know the name, Andy Narell is one of the finest Steel Drum players on the planet. You probably have heard his playing somewhere, since he's probably the first call studio steel drummer in the world.

He also composes, plays piano and drums and has quite a few albums out under his own name.

We went through music school together and now live three blocks from each other.

Thanks Jeremy, sadly, I only have one video of him playing pans, and that was on the Bela Fleck and the Flecktone's "Live at the Quick" DVD. Pans have always been something that I've wanted to get into, but like upright, it can be pretty expensive. Some day, mark my words, I will own a set of Double Seconds and a set of basses. But it will have to wait for sufficient funds. A man can dream can't he? Maybe in the mean time I can borrow a set from my percussion instruction from my high school years. :D

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Humabass, I really appreciate you putting up the names of drummers that you know and have played with.

We all can dream about who we'd like to play with, but I don't want to make any decisions about who my favorite drummer is without actually playing with him first. I've played with a few people with familiar names that I could not click with. Not that there was anything wrong with their playing, it must have been my fault. :confused:

Now I'll add a name to the illustrious list we are assembling:

Vince Littleton of San Francisco, formerly of Spokane.

Tremendous feel and time. More enjoyable to play with than anybody else I know. And I play with a lot of excellent pros.

Well, I'm a keyboard player, but I'll post my favourite drum/bass hookups:

Mike Clark/Paul Jackson (Herbie Hancock's Thrust)

Roy Haynes/Miroslav Vitous (Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs) or Roy/Dave Holland (Gary Burton's Like Minds and Pat Metheny's Question & Answer)

Jack DeJohnette/Dave Holland (Kenny Wheeler's Gnu High) or Jack/Gary Peacock (any Keith Jarrett trio record)

Tony Williams/Ron Carter (do I really need to explain this?)

Billy Kilson/Dave Holland (Dave Holland Quintet/Big Band)

Elvin/anybody

Greg Hutchinson/Ray Brown or Christian McBride

Billy Martin/Chris Wood (Medeski Martin & Wood)

Whew... long list there.

David (edited for missing parentheses)

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Archived