Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite DRUMMER??

bassaddik

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I just had to respond to this topic. My top two picks are...

?uestlove- The Roots

Clyde Stubblefield- James Brown(Funky Drummer)

I remember discovering for the first time back in the day (late 80's) that Stubblefield's part in Funky Drummer was actually a human being, not a drum machine. Blew my mind! ?uestlove could have a person thinking the same thing except he adds so much soul to his playing.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(going OT)

Welcome to the forums raytee1!

now returning to topic...

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

I believe that's Jeff Porcaro mentioned above (Toto, Steely Dan, Boz Skaggs)...

I'd love to play "Beginnings" with Danny Seraphine.

Steve Gadd has always killed me. What taste the man has!

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

Dennis Chambers

Vinnie Coliauta

Jeff Porcaro

Steve Gadd

Dave Weckl

Peter Erskine

Bernard Purdie

Dan Gottleib

Carter Beauford

James Bradley, Jr.

Phil Collins

Steve Moretti (been there...)

Yeah, baby.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

(Yeah! My first post!) I like Lars from Metallica (as a drummer, not as a person) because he has a lot of energy. I would also like to play with chad smith, and the guy from rush, i forget his name.
primus sucks

That shuffle groove he laid down on "Rosanna" from Toto IV is somehow so smooth that other drummers like me will tell you it's virtually impossible to duplicate!

Learn the (Bernard) Purdie Shuffle, and you'll suddenly be able to play Rosanna really well. :) Porcaro's shuffle is a variant of Purdie's. Another great example of the "Porcaro Variant" is Lido Shuffle. Same basic shuffle, just not with a half time feel. It's all in the left hand; the ghost notes you play on the off triplets before each backbeat.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

• 3 months later...

Joe Morello - Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz Goes to Jr College '58

Neil Peart - Rush

Gary Husband - Mark King / Level 42 / Billy Cobham

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

Gotta say, this is a good forum! Forgive me if I'm not familiar with the jazz musicians, having said that keep in mind that in any subject my tastes will alway lean towards classic rock, metal or country. Saw a video the other night for a band called Cold...I think, anyway that guy on drums was too cool. Favorite drummer of course depends on style your playing I'm sure, a good all-around drummer I think would probably be someone like Ringo or Tommy Lee.
Donnie Peterson

Drummer i'd like most to play with would probably be Lars Ulrich, failing that the guys from Dave Matthews or Pantera
"We had a band powerful 'nough turn goat pish inna gasoline" Donald 'Duck' Dunn - Blues Brothers

I could list off several favorite drummers I love to listen to, all who have already been named, but I want to give props to Jerry Marotta. I had the wonderful privilege of working with him on a project earlier this year, and his groove and feel just about made me cry.

Matt Chamberlain is another with the magic groove, one of my current faves (particularly his work with Tori Amos).

i would have to say a couple of my favorite drummers would be

Matt McDunough-MuDvAyNe

?eustlove-The Roots

Bill Ward-Black Sabbath

Vinny Paul-PanterA

John Bonham (R.I.P.)-Led Zeppelin

Dave Grohl-Nirvana

Travis Parker-Blink 182, The Transplants

Keith Moon-The Who

and a bunch more

I fell down, down, down in a burning ring of fire. R.I.P. JOHNNY CASH!

http://www.maialino.it/cartoni/muppet_animal.jpg

Animal from The Muppet Show!!! :D Oh yeah, and

that crazy Brit who probably inspired Jim Henson to create the Animal character, the one and only

Keith Moon! But seriously, any drummer who

grooves like mad and plays the right

things in the right places.

Originally posted by Dolomite:

Miy current fav is Terri Lyne Carrington. Played with Herbie Hancock..She is the bomb..

Had the opportunity to meet Terri Lyne Carrington last night. Herbie Hancock was the closing act at this years Monterey Jazz Festival. All the groups on the main stage were broadcast over the local public radio station KUSP and it's done under an AFM agreement. My role there was to get the musicians to sign the release and pay them. Terri Lyne smoked. Since they were the final group I left a little early to beat the traffic leaving the fairgrounds and listened to the last few tunes on the radio while driving home. The DJ's were doing a wrap-up and one mentioned that one doesn't see many female drummers and that she was one of the best. One of the other DJ's jumped in and set the other one straight that she just wasn't one of the best female drummers out there, but one of the best drummers out there.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I know what you mean about playing with a good drummer, the one in my band i frikin awesome. He can always hold down a good beat, and when him and i are jaming he is very good at listening to what i play.

Of the famous drummers my favorite would have to be either denis chambers or steve smith. They are both fusion oriented and can play some very cool beats leaving plenty of room for bass.

We distort. You abide.

Originally posted by Joe Kyle Jr.:

So many wonderful players out there...

Here are a few of my favorites:

Elvin Jones

Kenny Wolleson

Billy Kilson

Philly Joe Jones

Clyde Stubblefield

Zakir Hussain

Brain

Joey Baron

Jack DeJohnette

Scott Amendola

Richard Innes

Jim Kassis

Joe, is this the Jim Kassis that works in the San Jose area? If so, he's a member of Local 153 but I've never seen or heard him play a kit, only symphonic type work as part of the percussion section.

Wally

Originally posted by Bomber75:

I know what you mean about playing with a good drummer, the one in my band i frikin awesome. He can always hold down a good beat, and when him and i are jaming he is very good at listening to what i play.

Of the famous drummers my favorite would have to be either denis chambers or steve smith. They are both fusion oriented and can play some very cool beats leaving plenty of room for bass.

Caught a little bit of Steve Smith at the Monterey Jazz Festival this weekend and he was tearing it up. :thu:

Wally

Last night at the Baked Potato the Jazz Ministry performed. Members included Michael Landau (guitar), Greg Mathison (keyboards with a Leslie), Abraham Laboriel Senior and Junior (bass & drums.

Can't explain the grooves and energy in one room. It is to seldom that father and son get to perform together. Monster grooves from bass and drums. Junior is arguably the hottest drummer out there. He has played with Duran Duran, Seal, and now Paul McCartney.

Archived