Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Horror Story

Here's a story about something REALLY bad that happened on my camping trip. Sunday night, I thought the thing was about over. I'm holed up in my tent with my friend Ann and we're just relaxing. Suddenly we get a call on the walkie-talkie. FIRE! No fucking way! I am so burnt out I can't move. But I jump up, grab my fire exstinguisher and head up the road. There is a huge RV totally engulfed in flames. Everyone is running up with fire exstinguishers but it's too hot to get close enough to do any good so we douse the surrounding area. Flames are shooting ABOVE the tree tops and the trees are on fire. Total pandemonium! People are moving their cars and campsites that are nearby and some people are actually trying to evacuate. Cell phones out everywhere to call the local fire department. Someone gets an idea to throw ice on it. We've got a refrigerator truck full of ice, so they set up a line 100 yards long and start tossing bags of ice onto the inferno. I think that might have been what kept it under control. A few minutes later the fire trucks pull in and exstinguish it pretty quickly. Scariest thing I've ever seen back in the woods. Story is someone left a candle going and it burnt down and ignited the wooden table it was sittting on. THIS PARTY IS OVER! We need some serious education about the use of candles, or maybe reconsider who we invite to our party. I wish I had a picture to show you. A 30 ft. RV burnt to the ground. It's amazing no one was hurt.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never leave a candle unattended for any reason. A guy I know got a call at work saying his house was on fire. His wife had lit a candle in a safe place, went out for a quick walk around the block...cat jumped up, knocked the candle over. Fortunately no one (not even the stupid cat) was hurt. One Christmas, we had these ornamental candle holders that went around the base of one of those long candles. We were sitting in the living room, all of a sudden the mantle was on fire. The candle had burned down to the candle holder thing (which was supposed to look like a wreath) and ignited it. Fortunately, we were right there, and put it out. I like candles, but I always make sure there's someone in the room with them.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

A candle not in a candle holder is a FUSE. It will burn down and if there's something flammable beneath it, it will ignite THAT. Even if it's in a candle holder doesn't mean you're safe. A friend brought some candle holders camping about three years ago. Everybody was partying and walked off and left the candles burning. Well I just happened to come back to the campsite and the candle holders were on fire, shooting up flames three feet. You would think candle holders would have to be made of inflammable material. Not so! So as you can see this is a real hazard, not just camping but anywhere.

Ya the wife had a candle burning in the bathroom. Just sitting on the stackable washer/dryer... She didn't even notice that it melted one of the dials right off into a big pile of goope. Suggestion from the wise. Once your done humpin, put out the flames before ya nod off. Bri
Smile if you're not wearin panties.

For the most part I only use 3" diameter candles, and not longer than 6" or so. The only things that're gonna knock these things over is an earthquake or the cat. I have them sitting in dishes (small bowls), so they can't set the bowl on fire. There's nothing else within 6" of the base and nothing above them. I don't worry too much about them, although I do worry about the cat (so I never leave him in the room alone with them). -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived