Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you guys sure this is safe?

surfmonkey

I remember reading a few months back about some of you guys using crazy glue on your fingers for callus prevention/relief. So, I went out and bought Instant Crazy Glue, which says very plainly: "avoid contact with skin/skin irritant". Just want to make sure this is totally safe before I use it.
I have no homepage.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They put that on there to avoid lawsuits from stupid people who stick their fingers, faces, or various other objects to themselves or others.

I would advise getting "Nu-Skin" instead. It's a liquid bandage that is similar in formula to Krazy Glue but a little diluted.

Or use the Krazy Glue and make sure you don't touch anything with that finger until it dries...

That's what I figured. I was wanted some reassurance from people who have used it. I am a big proponent of Nu Skin. However, I rip through it pretty fast, and find myself reapplying it several times a night. I was just curious about super glue, and thought I would try it. BTW how long does it last for you. The whole night?
I have no homepage.

I've been using super glue for years. I'm still alive, although once I did manage to glue my fingers together at a gig and had to get someone to use a knive to cut them apart. (They cut the glue, not the fingers).

Mostly I use it on my nails. I would hesitate putting it onto an open wound.

What Ben said. People are stupid, which is why companies need to put that sort of thing on products. Jesus, I have a large bag (not unlike a plastic sandwich bag) on the wall of my office that has on it in very large print: "WARNING: Keep this bag away from babies and children. DO NOT use in cribs, beds, or playpens. The thin film may cling to nose and mouth and prevent breathing." no shit. Ridiculous... however, I digress.

I've used super glue on my fingers before and it works great. Make sure you do yourself a favor and also buy some of the 'super glue remover' stuff too (no kidding, there is such a product). It makes it much easier to get the stuff off after the gig.

EDIT: (after reading Jeremy's post) I have put it on open wounds, usually blisters that have peeled off/popped and/or small cuts. It burns a bit when first applied, but only for a moment and then there is no pain.

The super glue trick lasts all evening.

I don't know about this 'Crazy-glue' talk....

...yes I've heard....but never witnessed it 1st hand.

Whatever happened to just building up the proper callouses ?? Thru playing ?? Believe me...in 25+ years of playin' I've encountered some blistering...and pain.....but just worked thru it.

Just be careful.

PJR

FYI:

Nail polish remover takes Krazy Glue off of skin, too.

Don't ask how I know this.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I have to agree with Peter on this. Is it really such a problem that you need to use something on your fingers? What happened to building up callouses. I, too, have been playing for MANY years and never needed to do this.

Originally posted by SteveC:

I have to agree with Peter on this. Is it really such a problem that you need to use something on your fingers? What happened to building up callouses. I, too, have been playing for MANY years and never needed to do this.

I haven't had to do this since college, when I first started playing for 5-6+ hours a day, every day of the week. There were a few times when I had gigs to do when my finger tips were just shredded meat, so it was either not play at all or use super glue.

Originally posted by SteveC:

Do you play Upright? I am a doubler. I have different calluses on my right hand for upright and electric. Not to mention to one on my right thumb for slapping, or the one on my left thumb for thumb position. If I don't practice religiously , I lose my calluses quickly. Also, if I've been on the road with my electric, and come back to gigs on my upright, I need a little help to get through the first week or two.
I have no homepage.

Geez, I've been playing for what, 2 or 3 years, and I've never had any problems with calluses. I got them in a week or so, and have not lost them, even though I'd spent over a month away from it once. No problems playing after I got back to it.

I think I'd definitely be the idiot to get his fingers stuck to something, just as jeremyc mentioned (no, I'm not saying you're an idiot, Jeremy :rolleyes: ).

As for famous CrazyGluers, I do know of one Flea, who after slapping the hell out of his thumb, filled the hole with Crazy Glue, and he eventually had to fill it back in after it fell out. Ouch...glad I don't have to worry about that.

I have to agree with PJR. Guys do some practice at home. I assume that on a right handed bass you would put it on your right hand? This is insane. I guess im too sheltered or sensible. What does this do to your sound, wouldnt the glue be hard like a pick.

As for calluses they seem to work differently on different people, mine fall off very quickly, others have them stay there for ages if not playing. I guess crazy glue is part of some peoples callus management system.

Wouldn't your skin obsorbe part of the glue? Someone said they been doing it for 25 years. Perhaps you have established an addiction? Ahh now i see we've uncovered a sub-culture of substance abuse within our little community. Where's the moderators lets book these people into a clinic. There's a thought, imagine a clinic full of bass players, the world would fall apart, anarchy would reign. It must be a guitarist/drummer conspiracy!

Providence over serendipity any day.

I've never had to use the glue, even when I was playing more regularly.

I figure that there are a lot of variables in play here -- how regularly you play, how heavy you play, what kind of strings and what gauges, how much you sweat (and maybe even the "chemistry" of your sweat), age of your strings, etc. There's probably great variation in the development, maintenance, and longevity of calluses.

All I know is that my electric washtub bass with the splintered broomstick and electrified barbed wire string is hell on my hands. I just let 'em bleed -- to hell w/ the glue! Makes for a good show on stage -- absolutely hair-raising ... you should hear that baby biamped thru a 4x10 top and 1x18 sub!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

As for the need to use glue, I've never had the sorts of problems people describe...I tend to think there's something flawed in their technique or practice regimen...but that's just my experience..

As to glue problems, having used various over-the-counter types to repair items regularly, I suggest that you be careful (of course) but if a smell amout gets skin stuck to itself or an object before youy get out the scalpel lubricate the mess with saliva. Saliva willloosen super-glue bonds...if large areas are involved it takes longer but you may be better avoiding exposure to chemicals like acetone, etc, if you can do the same thing more cheaply & safely with my suggestion.

Originally posted by george costanza:

As for the need to use glue, I've never had the sorts of problems people describe...I tend to think there's something flawed in their technique or practice regimen...but that's just my experience..

As to glue problems, having used various over-the-counter types to repair items regularly, I suggest that you be careful (of course) but if a smell amout gets skin stuck to itself or an object before youy get out the scalpel lubricate the mess with saliva. Saliva willloosen super-glue bonds...if large areas are involved it takes longer but you may be better avoiding exposure to chemicals like acetone, etc, if you can do the same thing more cheaply & safely with my suggestion.

You hear that, CMDN and NuB? You guys gave up too soon...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

nail polish remover IS acetone. (with a little perfume in it).

The glue will not be absorbed by your skin, it sits on top.

I use it on my nails, not my fingers.

I was an idiot when I glued my fingers together but I'm not an idiot now.

I was also an idiot when I poured some acetone in a plastic cup....it ate through the cup onto the kitchen table, causing all kinds of screaming and yelling, some from me, but most from my wife.

Also I recommend against opening your superglue in a plane (although nowadays they probably won't let you on the plane). The reduced air pressure will cause the stuff to flow like crazy and you will get it all over the place.

Speaking of planes, I was once stopped by airport security when I had a set of strings, a few screwdrivers and wrenches, and my wireless transmitter and receiver in my carry on. I don't know what they thought I was going to do, but they took it all away from me and sent it in a box with the rest of the checked baggage.

I had a heck of time explaining what the wireless transmitter was for.

George Costanza wrote:

>if a smell amount gets skin stuck

>to itself or an object before you

>get out the scalpel lubricate the

>mess with saliva. Saliva will

>loosen super-glue bonds...

Okaaaaaaayyyy..... I tried that.

Does anyone know how to get my tongue unstuck from my thumb...?

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Hey, the krazy glue works pretty well. Thanks for the help guys... that is, to all of you who were actually helpful.

I gotta say, some of the responses I got on this thread really irritated me. If your going to make an ill-informed comment such as "guys, do some practice at home" or "I tend to think there's something flawed in their technique or practice regimen" why bother posting at all? Hey, if you don't feel the need to use products to combat blister problems, good for you. But, I don't see how insulting other people does any good. FYI: I know tons of pro players who use products from time to time to battle blisters or sores. I met John Pattitucci on tour a few years back, and he practically endorses New Skin. Maybe you guys should tell him to stop being a crybaby and fix his flawed technique. :rolleyes:

I have no homepage.

Glad it worked for you. :)

Reading back thru the responses....I couldn't find anything that would irritate me.

Perhaps the Crazy Glue could be more helpful to you than you think ??

...... :) .....

Relax......it's all good !! :)

PJR

I gotta admit, I didn't think any of the posts were particularly offensive. BUT, it also helped a lot, surfmonkey, when you posted about your situation as a doubler and how extended time playing electric or upright will affect the calluses developed for the other. :thu:

IMHO folks post about practice because there are some folks, unlike you, who cry for the aid of Krazy Glue or NuSkin when they don't consistently play or practice -- making callus development that much more difficult. I don't think anything was meant as a personal slight to you, and probably reflects others' experiences with less savvy players.

Like I posted before, even for folks who play and practice regularly, there is probably individual variation based on multiple factors for why their calluses last for longer or shorter amounts of time.

It's all good, y'all. :)

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived