Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Minor PC Annoyance: Someone 'splain it to me

Ok, PC gurus, can someone tell me why I get a "Non-system disk" error when I have a diskette in my A-drive in a 2002 Laptop? I understand why this was so 20 years ago, but can't a brand new machine figure out that I'm probably not trying to boot from a 1.4 meg diskette that has an 81K Word document on it, but probably I'd like to boot from the 40 gig internal drive that contains Windows XP? How hard can this be? It amazes me that this hasn't been solved 20 years into the personal computer revolution. Ok, just had to vent. Thanks, kc

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from the C: then the A: Sounds as if you have it the other way around at the moment.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

This is probably due to how the BIOS is setup. If you don't need boot functionality from the floppy you can usually disable this feature in the BIOS. Sucks, eh? I find it pretty sad that we still have to even worry about using a BIOS in this day and age.

Or you can just take the disk out when you boot. Easier than going into the BIOS, and if you get into the habit of always leaving the floppy empty when you boot you can avoid some possible nasty surprises. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

The BIOS isn't really that horrible to deal with. BUT HEED THIS CAUTION: When you first get a computer, write down ALL the BIOS settings (you may be able to print it instead). Then if you have to flash your BIOS and something terrible happens, you can restore the original settings. Incidentally Pete Leoni walked me through flashing the BIOS the other day. It updated the motherboard enough that I could use a 1.2 GHz processor instead of the overclocked 450 MHz Celeron I had been using. It's not a difficult process, but you need a coach if you're not into it...!!

[quote]Originally posted by coxnvox@aol.com: [b]Ok, PC gurus, can someone tell me why I get a "Non-system disk" error when I have a diskette in my A-drive in a 2002 Laptop? kc[/b][/quote]Everybody already said it. It's because your BIOS is configured that way. But believe me... A floppy disk "rescue disk" or "boot disk" is still used. When High tech fails, there is still the basic form of life. Let's say... you got a virus on your Hard disk... you will absolutely need to boot from an rescue floppy... I'd suggest you on NOT changing your BIOS setup. You might use it one day...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived