Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM? Who went? What was cool?

_Sweet Willie_

Hey y'all,

I know from other threads that some of the board members went to NAMM (like esteemed moderators Wally Malone and Bob Gollihur!).

Did you go? What did you see/play/hear that was cool, whether a new product or an old faithful?

Please share some scoop so we can all get the GAS pains that we gear-lovin', bass-playin', groove-makin' folks are so famous for!

Thanks.

Peace.

--sweets

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure some of the other guys can give you a much better report of the NAMM show. I was only there for part of one day. And, couple that with the fact that I am a total moron when it comes to gear. Anyway, I did see some great players though. Mark Meadows at the Aphex booth was absolutely unbelievable. This guy can really play! :thu: I don't know anything about him other than he plays with Edgar Winter. Anyone have more info on this guy?

Another interesting guy was Quentin Berry (sp?) at the Spector booth. Really great player. What's amazing though is that he plucks and slaps the bass from underneath . If you can picture this. He wears the bass almost at shoulder height and then reaches his arm underneath to pluck. Really weird, but he could definitely play!

I missed Gary Willis. damn... :(

I have no homepage.

Originally posted by surfmonkey:

Another interesting guy was Quentin Berry (sp?) at the Spector booth. Really great player. What's amazing though is that he plucks and slaps the bass from underneath . If you can picture this. He wears the bass almost at shoulder height and then reaches his arm underneath to pluck. Really weird, but he could definitely play!

There are some video clips of QB from past NAMM shows on the Spector website. Not only does he play in that unique "upsidedown" bass position, but he can funk hard playing regularly as well. I'd love to know how he arrived at his novel approach, though.

spreadluv

Wally and I went together. We had a great time and it was fun hanging out with all the other bass players. I'll write a report later this week when I get a few minutes.

I had one embarrassing moment when Andrew Gouche quoted something from my report of last year when he got onstage.....more on that later.

cool? well, it's hard to top Matt Garrison at the Fodera booth...but then there was Steve Lawson at Ashdown, and Michael Manring at Zon.

Of course the Bass Bash which had Lawson, Manring, Mike Watt, Victor Bailey, Mike Dimin, Trip Wamlsey (who did an incredible set!) Dave Pomeroy, Todd Johnson, and Keith Horne!

Maybe I am a little jaded, but with each year there seems to be fewer and fewer "must have" items on display (at least for me!). Yes, plenty of cool basses, but a lot of the same old stuff.

Hmmmm the Rick Turner/Seymour Duncan pre-amps look tres-cool (and sound even better!), the new AccuGroove 12" cabs are to die for, and...the most impressive little gadget I saw...the new Aphex exciter pedals! Big bottom and exciter circuits in a stomp box sized DI (with a 10mOhm input impedence..glad somebody has got it right!) for less than $200. Sounded great! And, I could not help but notice than many of the booths had them on hand for their demo artists' use!

Now that's a gotta have thingy for me.......

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Wally and I went together. We had a great time and it was fun hanging out with all the other bass players. I'll write a report later this week when I get a few minutes.

I had one embarrassing moment when Andrew Gouche quoted something from my report of last year when he got onstage.....more on that later.

Jeremy, I'm still looking forward to your report -- especially your embarrassing moment! ;)

Adrian, thanks for sharing the photos. :thu:

Steve, the Buddha's white bass is really cool. You should see it (and hear it!) up close when he's ripping. Pretty amazing.

More stories, folks? Adventures? GAS attacks? News from NAMM? Keep it coming. I'm fascinated! :D

Peace,

--sweets

spreadluv

This was my first time at the NAMM show. I would say to me that it was more about people than the gear. It was great to meet Adrian Garcia (bassaddick) and some of the bass players from the multistringbass newsgroup and to have the opportunity to see and hear some of the worlds top bass players. It was cool to hang with our own Jeremy Cohen, we went to the Bass Bash on Friday and also got to hear Chuck Rainey and Andrew Bouche on Saturday. :thu:

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I was wondering if any luthiers at NAAM were developing a short scale multistring bass?

Anyone trying to defeat the laws of physics with "yankee ingenuity?"

I keep my lonely quest a goin' :-)

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Whoa!!! that Conklin doubleneck kinda reminds me of the guy walking through the jungle carrying a portable Minigun... (Predator) that is a MONSTER!

Great pics, Jeremy...

DX

(Addendum)

Where can I find out more on those lightwave basses?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by jeremyc:

a 2 second google search yielded the: Lightwave web page

I just added one more picture to the page.

namm pix

Thanks... I did a search and just came up with US Masters... not the right ones I think.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by bassaddik:

met Wally Malone and Jeremy C - very cool!!!

here are my NAMM pics-

http://www.accessbass.com/naMM2003.html

Nice pics, Adrian! That Fender Custom 6 looks amazing! :eek:

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by SteveC:

The guy with the mini gun was none other than former Minnesota Governor Jessie "The Body" Ventura.

I wonder if he plays bass?

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

My NAMM report.

Every time that I go to NAMM I focus on a different thing. One year I focused on hearing as many performances as possible. Another year I focused on finding a good fretless in the $1000 range (I ended up with a Music Man Sterling). This year I concentrated on meeting people and hanging out with them. I had a great time.

Wally Malone and I roomed together and I will report that he is truly a nice guy. It was nice going with someone else.we introduced each other to various people and we alerted each other to must see booths.

The first night, we went to the Bass Bash which was organized on basstalk.com. Performers were Todd Johnson, , Mike Dimin, Steve Lawson, Watt, Michael Manring, Keith Horne, Trip Wamsley, Dave Pomeroy, and Victor Bailey. It was pretty overwhelming. They all were great. At the end of the evening, Victor Bailey was playing and he looked out in the audience and said, Hey Omar, get up here. It was Omar Hakim and he was sitting right next to me! The two of them then played Birdland, with Bailey playing Jacos bass part AND the melody at the same time. Wow!

We got a ride to and from the bash with Sean Gallagher who is known as spankbass at talkbass.com.the arrangements for a roommate and a ride were all done thanks to the forums.

The second night we went to the SWR concert. Norm Stockton gave us his tickets and we got there late, so we missed Michael Manring and Reggie Hamilton. However we did see Chuck Rainey and Andrew Gouché and his band. My embarrassing moment was when Andrew hit the stage he said, last year I played with a 5 piece band and someone wrote a review online saying that it didnt sound like gospel, it sounded like fusion. So this year I brought the singers so you will know that it is gospel music that I play.

The person who wrote the online review was me, and I had just told Wally about writing it before Andrew said that. We looked at each other and Im sure I turned many shades of red. Mr. Gouché, I meant it as a compliment. There are obviously many people reading these forums who never post.

During the day, I mostly spent time meeting people. I talked Steve and Jill Azola, extremely nice people (who recognized my name from my posts on TBL). Steve makes some great basses and both Wally and I enjoyed playing his hollow body fretless. This bass had a curved fingerboard and bridge like an upright and would be a great instrument for a doubler to get.

Ed Friedland got stuck doing his demo at Carvin for a big crowd of people who had come to see Steve Vai perform after him. I only got to talk to him for a moment. Next door Bryan Beller was working like crazy at the SWR booth, selling, demoing, running sound, moving boxes, everything. I also heard Adam Nitti play at the SWR booth and later talked with him. He is a great player and a great guy.

Wally and I met Adrian Garcia (Bassaddik) at the Accugroove booth. Adrian is a true gentleman and we all enjoyed hearing the great speaker cabinets.

I wandered through the software section and managed to see Earth Wind and Fire (everyone except the drums and horns) perform about 8 feet from me. Verdine White made it look so easy. They were demoing recording software and they wrote and recorded a song on the spot.one take each.

Heard Jimmy Haslip jamming with Russ Ferrante at the Korg booth.

People I heard play:

Todd Johnson

Mike Dimin

Steve Lawson

Watt

Michael Manring

Keith Horne

Trip Wamsley

Dave Pomeroy

Victor Bailey

Jimmy Haslip

Adam Nitti

Verdine White

Bill The Buddah Dickens

Andrew Gouché

Chuck Rainey

People I got to hang out with and/or talk to:

Adrian Garcia bassaddik

Mike Lull and Roger Gee of Mike Lull Guitars...nicest guys in the world and builders of my custom bass!

Steve and Jill Azola of Azola Basses

Rick Turner who was building a guitar right in front of me and explained everything he was doing.

Dan Elliott of Bassquake

Mike Dimin of Talkbass.com

Sean Gallagher spankbass

Norm Stockton..a great bass player and all around person, rapidly becoming a good friend.

Michael Rhodeswho told me that being a top Nashville studio musician was like being in the movie Groundhog Dayevery day you get up and go record the same bass part on the same song.or at least it feels like that

Lee Sklar

Ed Friedland

Bryan Beller

Adam Nitti

Wally Malone

Steve Lawson...great to hang out with him again

Michael Manring

Dave Pomeroy

Keith Horne

T.J. Hill

John Turner and his insane collection of Conklin basses.

Bob Lee (bassland) expert on Jamerson

Chuck Sher of Sher Publicationsthe best fakebooks on the marketall legalChuck is an old friend who recommended me for my teaching job at Blue Bear School of Music where I taught for 14 years.

Gene Okamoto of Pearl Drumsanother old friend that I used to play with before he got the job with Pearl and moved to Nashville.

Joe Kyle of the Waybacks and I kept talking on cel phones but we never managed to actually see each other in person.

We never found Bob Gollihur.

If I left anyone out, I apologizeas you can see, it was quite a weekend.

Gear that I tried out or looked at:

EBS pedalsgreat sounding pedals, better than any others I have used.

Accugroove cabinetswonderful cabinets, how do they do it?

Glockenklang amps and cabinetsit doesnt get much better than this

Fender bass amp prototypesounded good, no watt listing or release date given

Warrior bassthese basses seem to be quietly taking over the world, many players that I saw were playing them. I certainly liked the one I tried.

Lightwave basses---quietest bass in the world, best response for harmonics of any bass Ive ever played, not too good for slapping because it doesnt pick up the string noise which is part of this sound.

Fender Victor Bailey 5 stringif you want a 5 string jazz bass style, this could be the one

Ritter basstotally unique looks and sound

Viellete basswonderful semi-hollow body electric with incredible growl

Azola bassbeautiful designs and workmanship, lots of unique designs

Roland V bassinstantaneous response, but the least intuitive user interface that Ive ever seen, Im sticking with effect pedals and an assortment of basses.

Digitech effects and multi-effectsnice effects pedals with a wide range of sounds, multi-effects pedal wasnt very intuitive

Moog pedals and thereminthe pedals are basicially sections of a Moog synth. Theremin would be a fun instrument to learn and play.

Hipshot had their bass tremolo available in 4 and 5 string models. Requires some routing to install.

SKB is coming out with an ATA case which will hold a bass gig bag. Cool!

And much more.there are over 7000 booths at this trade show.

picture link again

Hey Jeremy,

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to write so much and share so much. It's good to hear that Wally is indeed a nice guy, and he hasn't been fakin' us out with his pleasant posting style!

Sounds overall like quite a positive experience, especially how you were able to connect with/meet so many folks.

BTW, I love my EBS MultiComp pedal, but I'm yearning for one of the BassIQ envelope filters. Glad to hear that you had a positive take on their pedals.

Peace.

spreadluv

wanted to follow up on what Ed said.

Everybody that I met was really really nice. Many of them don't know me from a hole in the ground, they didn't know if I was a good player or just a random person that came up to talk. But people were friendly and receptive and I feel very fortunate that I got to go to this event.

Jeremy,

It was great seeing you & Wally at the NAMM show! A special thanks for hanging at our AccuGroove/Conklin booth.

The wonderful player in your photos with the dbl. neck, is Al Caldwell playing John Turners outrageous Conklin. You should hear Al play! He simply is one of the most melodic players I've ever heard.

Mark

Jeremy- thanks for the kind words- it was truly a pleasure meeting you and Wally-

Mark- likewise, it was a pleasure meeting you - the cabs sounded great- remember, i got to hear them in a live band setting- very nice!! and they got played by some of the best!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Great report Jeremy, now I don't have to write too much. It really was great spending time with Jeremy and meeting Adrian as well. There was a lot of action at the Accugroove/Conklin booth. Met Greg Campbell, Jaucqo, Stewart McKinsley and John Turner from a news group I participate in MultiStringBassist on Yahoo there. Jaucqo had a four string with a C# below low B, an F#, B and E. Got to say hi to all my friends at Dean Markley, particularly Mike Renwick who lives a few miles from me and we never get to see each other. It's getting pretty late, I'm sure I think of more later.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived