Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BOOK: Music, The Brain and Ecstacy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
man, music on exstacy is just HORRIBLE. i think all the kids doing that drug these days might account for the extremely bad music coming out. exstacy isnt even a "good" drug. and to associate it with the brain is just absurd. its one of the most mindless drugs i have taken. like how lsd OPENS your mind, X just shuts it down... not to mention the massive brain damage that occurs from doing X.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Anyone know of this book? "MUSIC, THE BRAIN AND ECSTASY" by Robert Jourdain. I read a brief comment from some guy that said "best book about music I've ever read."[/b][/quote]I have this book, but as I recall it was a really dry, academic read that I never really got into. Maybe I'll take another look at it see if I still feel that way.

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Anyone know of this book? "MUSIC, THE BRAIN AND ECSTASY" by Robert Jourdain. I read a brief comment from some guy that said "best book about music I've ever read."[/b][/quote]I'm an academic so I don't mind a dry read, but it's not a particularly good book. The guy knows more about the brain than I do, but apparently less about music. He also seems to think that Western Classical music is somehow paradigmatic of all music. It's not. For all that, I've been reading around in it and find it stimulating. A better book, IMO, is Christopher Small, Music-Society-Education. It's out of print but pretty provocative (if also completely wrong about a few things). Best, --JES

I've read Music, Brain and Ecstasy. I thought it was an interesting read. Mostly about responses to music and investigations of music talent,as I remember. Nothing earthshaking though. Most provaocative book on music I've read is Music, Art and Ideas, by Leonard Meyer. Written in 1965, still valid and actually prophetic IMO. Controversial conclusions about aethetic valuations. A familiarity with 'total serialism' and twelve tone music composition would help in understanding his argument.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

Archived