Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What kind of pickguard do you have?

JDL

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a shell pickguard would look good on your blue agave bass.....but doesn't matter.

Both my Fender Jazz and Precision have shell pickguards and a thumbrest.

Oh yeah , Patrick, I'll save you the trouble and tell everyone that you have a Black spray painted pickguard. :)

http://home.jps.net/~jeremy/mikelull.jpg

custom made by Jeannie's Pickguards.

On my MusicMan Sterling fretless (which is a tobacco sunburst) I have a custom clear pickguard made by Chandler.

Everything else has the pickguard which came on the bass (or no pickguard at all if that's the way the bass came).

Prices could go from $20 to $80 depending on the material, if you want anything custom, etc.

If they don't have a template in stock for your model (which would be surprising for a Fender), you could take the one off your bass and send it to them to use as a template.

Just check out the websites of Jeannie\'s Pickguards or Chandler and look around.

Pickguards?..............PICKGUARDS?!

We don' need no stinking pickguards!

(end of movie trivia segment....now we return you to you're regular post)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Good movie there fig, good movie. I like it when the deputy guy or whatever takes himself hostage and the people believe him. Or the candy-gram part and when he comes out saying "that was easy inventing the candy-gram was the tough part" (or whatever he says along those lines, its been awhile since i've seen it)
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

Oh yeah , Patrick, I'll save you the trouble and tell everyone that you have a Black spray painted pickguard. :)

Thanks. But you forgot to mention that I have a chrome pickup cover too. But yes, I do have a black spray painted pickguard. I did it in the wintertime, and from the coldness, there are wrinkles in the paint. It looks really cool, if I may say so myself. I also have a thumbrest. And cloverleaf tuners. But it's not a Fender!!!

On my other bass, there is no pickguard. So don't worry about what it looks like.

Oh right stay on track (we dont want this to become the SSS, not being mean but the lowdown is better). I have a plain old white pick guard on my plain old black Squire.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Dont mean to change the subject ( :D ) but does the finish on a bass continue under the pickguard? i was thinkin of taking the pickguard off of my new Jazz and just having a whole blue agave bass. of course this would only work if the whole bass is finished. Thanks.

Originally posted by IanSanX:

Dont mean to change the subject ( :D ) but does the finish on a bass continue under the pickguard? i was thinkin of taking the pickguard off of my new Jazz and just having a whole blue agave bass. of course this would only work if the whole bass is finished. Thanks.

Yes, but you'll have screw holes everywhere. Half of the reasoning of pickguards, other than to prevent finish scratches, is to provide a place for the knobs to hook up to...There is likely a huge routed hole underneath that guard, and it is definitely not finished under there. I wouldn't do it, unless you have another place to put the knobs...

Originally posted by JDLtheSmurfofB-day(Jan.11):

I was wondering that same question, myself.

Whoa

Yeah, when I went to strip the paint off my P, I took off all that stuff, and there was a huge routed hole from where the output jack is to where the pups are. A huge routed hole, man. And the pickguard's purpose is to cover that up, basically.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

Originally posted by JDLtheSmurfofB-day(Jan.11):

I was wondering that same question, myself.

Whoa

Yeah, when I went to strip the paint off my P, I took off all that stuff, and there was a huge routed hole from where the output jack is to where the pups are. A huge routed hole, man. And the pickguard's purpose is to cover that up, basically.
Yeah, dude I did that too, when I had to rewire my knobs. And,it freaked me out. But, I would think that on the Jazz basses, there wouldn't be much of a "hole."

JDL

After looking at the Jeannie Pickguard page...I'm certain.

The pickguard I'd love to have would be one with that Logo on the top of the page...Jeannie riding on a pickguard magic carpet looking fine.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

On a jazz bass there is finish under the pickguard, but it might not look as good as the rest of the finish.

On sunburst basses, they don't finish the three color sunburst and it looks a little greenish-yellow under there. There aren't any extraneous large cavities to worry about. Just look at a picture of Jaco's bass to see.

Music Man finishes go all the way, you can remove the pickguard (which I always thought looked goofy, but now I'm used to it) with impunity.

I don't know about solid color Fenders, it shouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by Penguinsarebirds:

Good movie there fig, good movie. I like it when the deputy guy or whatever takes himself hostage and the people believe him. Or the candy-gram part and when he comes out saying "that was easy inventing the candy-gram was the tough part" (or whatever he says along those lines, its been awhile since i've seen it)

Ahem... you're referring to "Blazing Saddles," I take it. The original line, "We don't need no stinking badges!" was from the classic "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart. That's what the Mexican "policemen" say right before they rob Bogey.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Our man, #5, recently decided to spraypaint the tortoise-shell pickguard of his custom, flat black, "#5 Special" Jazz bass with silver-chrome paint. I had my doubts when he described it to me, but I have to say it looks great. Of course, he plays really hard, so I'm sure some of the silver will eventually strip away, but that's OK, I guess.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived