Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 Bass players you should know of REGARDLESS of your age...

deanmass

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fuckin' hippies!

What about Lemmy?!?!?! or Sid, Dee-Dee, Kim Gordon, Yauch, Tina Weymouth, Cliff Burton, Krist Novoselic, or any other of the rock-solid low-enders that don't fuck up a groove with unnecessary wanking?!?

-Matt M

Originally posted by pumpcat:

fuckin' hippies!

What about Lemmy?!?!?! or Sid, Dee-Dee, Kim Gordon, Yauch, Tina Weymouth, Cliff Burton, Krist Novoselic, or any other of the rock-solid low-enders that don't fuck up a groove with unnecessary wanking?!?

D'oh! I love Tina Weymouth's lines with Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club. She's rock solid.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Chuck Rainey (he's listed, but I'll second it.)

Lee Sklar; top of the list

Tiran Porter: okay, not a session guy, but functioned in Doobies this way.

Jimmy Johnson: swooping bass support

Marcus Miller: Ever listen to Miles Davis "Tutu"? Become a believer.

Paul Goddard: Atlanta Rhythm Section.

David Hungate: of Toto and session work

Chop monsters and brilliant soloists have their place; but I learn a lot from these relative "unknowns" in song design.

I'm with ya Dave. I think it's a lot more important to know groove oriented players than lick meisters. Not that I don't have an extensive assortment of unbelievably twisted bass wizardry in my listening collection, but for a must know list I'd go with the guys who make it solid and flow first. I believe I'd add Donald "Duck" Dunn and Bob Glaub to that list. I'm actually surprised they hadn't gotten a nod yet.
Later..................

Maybe a mod should retitle this 1000 Bass players you should know of REGARDLESS of your age ; }

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind, if i had to make a choice between the deaf man and the blind

Ok, so you don't like the hippie players, eh? How about Jeff Ament. A freaking amazing fretless and electric upright player, he keeps the bass down there. Right where it should be. And that guy from Sublime, too. He's got some amazing grooves, as well as "Family Man" Barrett of Bob Marley and the Wailers. Some awesome stuff from him, too.

Correct me if I'm wring, but I believe hendrix played bass on some of their recordings. Noel was actually a guitar player that auditioned for Jimi, but he switched to bass because you really don't need a second guitar when you have Hendrix.

Also, not very well known, or influencial to the main stream, but definatly inovative and ahead of his time was Glen Cornick, from Gethro Tull. Yeah, I know he is no household name or anything, but listen to Tull's early records and you will hear what I mean, especially on Bouree, off of Stand Up.

Originally posted by Bastid E:

i would also like to add the cat from jamiroquai. not the most innovative player, but he can do some ill shit, and ALL of it is tasteful.

Stuart Zender. Phat lines, some reminiscent of Stevie Wonder's left hand (also not yet added to our monster list).

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

CowbellAllen, got any landmark Jack Casady? Glenn Cornick {has just been mentioned : }? Phil Lesh? Berry Oakley? Allen Woody? So much to hear and learn, so little time, even in just that period style. ...(and a stretch in time) Otiel Burbridge?

Ah, man, playing this game I'd just never be finished typing. In the past I've started topics that focused on players of a certain period or style, but they usally just lost focus after a while - as players of all descriptions were added, or disputed... When the threads fizzled I felt none the wiser ; }

Well, I have to agree with greenboy on this. To the surprise of no one, this has turned into yet another "who's better, who's best" thread. And like all the other threads of its kind, it really only shows that there are an awfully lot of good players out there that we can learn from, some we've heard of & some we haven't.

Maybe that should be the point: what's needed is not so much a list, however long, of "must know" players, but a mindset--a standing commitment to look farther than you can see to find what you might not have known you'd lost. In other words, listen to a lot of folks.

MATT Garrison. Son of Jimmy. Order from www.garrisonjazz.com or from the Bass Collective's shop in N.Y. Do not pass go.

IMHO he's the most innovative player since Jaco and an interesting composer... (Aw... you all knew I'd post him didn't you?) ;)

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Originally posted by dcr:

Maybe that should be the point: what's needed is not so much a list, however long, of "must know" players, but a mindset--a standing commitment to look farther than you can see to find what you might not have known you'd lost. In other words, listen to a lot of folks.

dcr and greenboy, I agree that these threads never seem to be invigorating. It's OK when (like this one) there is a lot of promotion and minimal argument.

I am guilty of not using threads like these as you suggest. So I'll go to the store and buy a CD from one of the players here with whom I am not familiar. That way, I may actually learn something....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Cornick had a pretty good bassline,but not one better than JPJ. :D I can't stand listening to Tull anymore, I'm sick of those flute solos.

Allen Woody also had a whole lot of great basslines, but I don't look to the Super Allman Bros. for that, thats my guitar side.

Oakley too, heard his covers of Cream recently.

Of course I know all these guys, I'm stuck in the past. Don't feel like expanding my mind. Too lazy.

I know others have said it but i figured i'd add my voice to the crowd, John Paul Jones definitely belongs on the list. Also, has anyone heard any of his newer solo Cd's, they have some killer 8 and 12 string bass riffs.
I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

Lists are fun! Everybody's list says something about them, their tastes, their influences, and probably to some degree, their playing style.

Not to disparage anyone else's list, here are the top ten as I see them.

James Jamerson

The man started it ALL. Look at bass playing before Motown and after, and you'll recognize James' influence on EVERY player of the 60's and 70's and his extended influence (through other players) on most bassists who've come since. Jamerson was a gifted visionary. If he hadn't played all of those great Motown lines, no one else would have either. I can't imagine someone "Bernadette" or "Grapevine" style lines coming out of any other player no matter how many decades of music history you afforded them to try it. James defined electric bass technique in the way that Pablo Casals defined cello technique and Charlie Parker defined jazz soloing. James is in a class by himself.

Jaco Pastorius

I don't think any other bassist created so much excitement in the brief history of the instrument. Like Jamerson, Pastorius was one of a kind. No one would have EVER come up with "Teen Town" or "Havona" if this man hadn't picked up a bass. Jaco is not for everyone, but for those who appreciate his vision, he opened many doors.

Paul McCartney

In addition to being a great singer/pop artist/multi-instrumentalist and (with John) the most influential songwriter in history, McCartney was and is a MONSTER bass player. The Beatles' claim to fame was their ability to create something new and interesting from the merger of disparate styles. McCartney integrated popular music, and his bass was right in the middle of the revolution, pumping seemless countermelodies and feet-moving rhythms beneath the tuneful genius up above. On with the motley!

Bootsy Collins

Godfather of funk! ;)

Donald "Duck" Dunn

Like Jamerson, a label hitmaker. Dunn was never a wild technician, but I've never heard a deeper groove.

Larry Graham

Godfather of slap. :bor:

Flea is also a deep groover in the Duck Dunn tradition (albeit a bit more hyperkinetic).

Well, that's ten, but the heck with it, I've got two more.

John Entwistle

The most exciting rock bassist ever from the greatest rock band of all time. May the Ox's firey bass playing live on for all time!

Victor Wooten

Amazing technician. Crafty songwriter. Brilliant entertainer. Socially conscious performer. Genuinely nice guy. What's not to admire?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

CowbellAllen,

just knew that you were primarily into around that period. Jack Casady got it going for me, because of the few landmark tracks where he deviated from the standard Airplane bass role and had a humongeous Wall of Bass that nobody else did.

Originally posted by Bastid E:

i think there's a serious flaw with billy sheehan and flea on a list that excludes john paul jones. he was way more than adequate and a much better feel player than either of those two. there is a lot more to the instrument than just how fast you can play it.

i would also like to add the cat from jamiroquai. not the most innovative player, but he can do some ill shit, and ALL of it is tasteful.

Currently, Jamiroquai's bassist is Nick Fyffe, and I agree, he is great! Their bassist before Travelling Without Moving was Stuart Zender. He also gave the music quite some feel :D:D

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

What about Jason Hoyt? I've never heard of him...he must suck. (Jes kiddin')

But what about such players as Mike Dirnt? The guy from Blues Traveler is phat, as well as Stefan Lessard of DMB. And what about the greatest fretless player in the world? patrick_dont_fret has got to be the greatest fretless master ever. And you know this, man.

ok, gotta try this..

in no particualr order-

1- Jaco Pastorius

2- Larry Graham

3- Rocco Prestia

4- James Jamerson

5- Victor Wooten

6- Marcus Miller

7- Paul Jackson

8- Anthony Jacson

9- Stanley Clarke

10-Bootsy Collins

and thats just electric bass

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I like Dan South's list, with one possible change:

Add Stanley Clarke, possibly drop Wooten (please, hold your booing until the end). Stanley is the "First Bassist" of contemporary jazz, a superstar in the genre before Jaco, Victor, etc. Plays electric and URB. Innovative use of piccolo bass. Created gear lust for expensive boutique basses, i.e. Alembic.

Archived