Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIKE STERN!

nohadra

hey guys Mike stern is coming next week to beirut to circus club !! I CANt BELEIVE IT!!this guy was like the brother of jaco and played with him alot in the early 80`s@!!!!

ps: there is a rumor that scott henderson might come 2 :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have fun, Nohad!

Mike Stern is one of my favorites. His intensity is unmatched.

He usually has Lincoln Goines playing with him, whoever he has is going to have to be pretty good to keep up with him.

I've seen him many times from large concert halls to crowds of 25 at the NAMM show and he's always ON.

Seattle had a number of good genre-driven newspapers that were available free all over the place, as well as what was in the newspaper. Montana has a paper called the Lively Times that comes out every month and has just about every venue and gig in the state listed. Anything that isn't listed is because the club owners or local bands are too lazy and can depend on getting paid either way because they are at a local watering hole. Then there are the local newspapers' entertainment weeklies again...

I'd say the internet should be helpful here too.

Earlier this year I caught Mike Stern at Yoshi's in Oakland. He had Victor Wooten on bass and Dennis Chambers on Drums plus a sax player (forgetting his name at the moment and don't have time to do the search here, I posted about it at the time). Great show!

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Saw Lincoln Goines with Wayne Krantz this past Thursday at the 55 Bar (where Mike Stern plays pretty much every week) in NYC. Such a great show.

Lincoln is really great - I always come back to him as the "thinking man's" groover.

The suprise to me of that gig was that, as much as I love Mike Stern's playing, I was really blown away by Wayne Krantz - chops galore, but his solos are really harmonically interesting and well-supported; and he played some really nuanced melody and phrasing ...

Music-man, tell me you weren't blown away by the drummer in Krantz's band. I forget his name, but MAN, what a groove. He was like this crazy, bonham-meets-tony williams-meets-I-don't-know-what nutjob!

I caught him at 55 a couple months ago (with Lincoln on bass) and he was just incredible... Paul Schaffer showed up and just stared open mouthed at the drummer for the whole set, shaking his head back and forth to the time. Then Lew Soloff dropped in and blew some STUFF!!!

Everyone in NYC should see this guy.

Drummer was Zack Danziger.

Yes indeed. He was playing rock-solid, cool rhythm grooves, but then throwing in these crazy, super-loose spasms that seemed totally out of tempo ... until they came right back around on the beat. Really great.

BenLoy - I'll probably be there Thursday night to see Wayne, even though it's not the same band ...

Archived