Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gettin' Busy

davebrownbass

Well guys,

It wasn't GC; I didn't want to leave that impression. Here in Texas we have a family owned chain, the trio of Brook Mays (who now owns Thoroughbred), C&S and H&H Music. It was a Father/Son team that gobbled up small music stores. A few years ago, as the story goes, Father and Son have a fight, Son sues, gets everything but a few stores, forces Dad to change name.

Ughhhh the music business. It was one of those stores.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by wraub:

I am currently in a situation where the groove is the whole thing, do not overplay, do not pass go, no $200.00 either. "

When I do the above I get at least $200. :P

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

hey greenboy - never mind that "good on you" stuff. I think there's enough wise guys around here - we don't need Wally getting comical on us and making money !!

Tom

(my tongue keeps getting stuck inside my cheek)

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by greenboy:

All I've really gotten out of the original rant and the restatement is that the guy was pushy as a salesperson, couldn't lock in to a good demo tonally or performance-wise, and that makes it bad to want to play around on the bass ; }

You missed this:

I did note that this salesmans playing, intricate as it was, was rhythmically sloppy and ignored articulation.

It doesn't matter what you play, if it is sloppy, it is just not woth it. This guy just didn't have a clue. There has to be a reason that he is working in a music store. :rolleyes:

Sorry to all you people working in a store. Just wanted to provoke.

What makes you think I "missed this", Carl1266? I mean, you yourself quoted from the part from my post that read: "...the guy was pushy as a salesperson, couldn't lock in to a good demo tonally or performance-wise" (emphasis mine). ...A post which was meant as a good-natured jab at all the baggage that was being heaped on a somewhat common incident, BTW.

That provocation at the end of your post is a Yock™ - music store jobs are one of the industry's bonuses for aspiring musicians and working musicians who want a place to make contacts, glom up on cheap gear, and avoid other lines of work which might damage their reputation as layabouts and ne'r-do-wells ; }

What if this guy http://www.web451.com/jacophotoworld/stage/stage1.GIF Just sat there with a Danelectro Longhorn fretted bass, perpetiously holding the same groove forever....making THIS face http://www.web451.com/jacophotoworld/shoot/shoot4.gif:D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

To add to all that has been said about playing for the song and being in the pocket....subtlies and feel make all the difference in the world. It is not about how cool each part is, it is how they all fit together (we could start talking about counterpoint, but that must wait for another thread). Just thought I would add my .02.

BNC

• 4 years later...

Greenboy emailed me this a few weeks back, regarding an interview with Tommy Shannon:

"I listen occasionally to the great Johnny Winter stuff as well

as the Stevie Ray, and Tommy has always had the ability to grab

the best notes and feel for the music he's in and make

interesting bedrock.

I also notice what he says about Willie Weeks, much in keeping

with my opinion that great players can groove whether playing

busy or sparse...

From a post on TBL: http://www.daveonbass.com/nl4.htm "

Regarding playing busy, I now realise I have played far too busy in the past. However that doesn't mean I don't play busy now, it means that when I play busy now it really fits and enhances the music and groove. I still overstep the line sometimes but less frequently than before.

I'm working on playing fewer notes but it isn't easy, particularly when the songs are built on your own basslines - I've noticed it works well to build the songs with the busier riffs that lay things out more clearly for the rest of the band and then once the band is sorted strip back some of my own basslines to the bare essentials.

Of course sometimes those bare essentials could be a constant 16th note groove that is inevitably busy - but if that's what's needed then that's what you've got to play!

Alex

Archived