Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Entwhistle Tribute Thread

davebrownbass

I thought it might be appropriate to start this, so we pay respects on the other, and tribute here. Please post how Entwhistle and The Who impacted you personally

I'm bawling like a baby right now, VH1 is playing an tribute to Entwhistle and the Who. They played "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the 2001 performance from the concert for New York. Above the stage was a photo of the Statue of Liberty and the Twin Towers.

I just have to say, at 55 years old, these guys could rock harder than anybody. Entwhistle is all over the place, busy as hell, every line a groove, every groove a solo. But not NOISE, consumate musicianship.

I fear we may never see this again.

I was privileged to see them on the Face Dances tour at the Cotton Bowl, before all the reunions and tributes. It was the night of my life. Pete's guitars kept going out of tune (it was an outdoor concert and 50 degrees outside) and he smashed a couple of them...first time in a long time.

To me, Entwhistle will be known for 3 things:

---The ability to keep the song going alone, while Keith, Pete and Roger destroyed the stage.

---The unique, always busy, style that, IMHO, was the first and best use of Lead Bass, allowing Pete to do whatever he wanted.

---The use of the ring finger with the other 2, in that amazing 3 finger playing technique, which I have never been able to do.

I had wanted to see them on this tour. They replaced Keith and made it; I can't imagine, now how they can replace John.

After Keith, after Cincinnati, after nearly 4 decades of growth (they were, perhaps, the proto-punk band?) they still sing:

"No one knows what it's like,

To be the bad man,

To be the sad man,

Behind Blue Eyes."

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed his great lines in the early days. The Who Sells Out is still a favorite (even above their more "famous" albums). Great bass parts, strong in the song and the mix.

But it was Live At Leeds that got me. Summertime Blues, Substitute and Young Man's Blues especially showed how to rip it up !! Melodic playing/pounding while all this other wild stuff was going on - JE wasn't laying back to support the madness, he was right in the thick of it !!! At that time only Jack Bruce in Cream was as active (though later I picked up on Tim Bogert doing this in Vanilla Fudge and Cactus).

That's what I wanted to do. I wanted/want to be that kind of animal - being wild and making music at the same time.

I sat in with a band doing the studio version of Substitute, which I'd heard on the radio - I couldn't play it properly. I couldn't get past the question "why would you play it this way when you could play it that way".

Great work, John - thanks for the inspiration !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

He was the first guy who made me say "HOLY S#^%!!!! WHAT THE F@#* WAS THAT?!?!?!" He woke me up to a whole new dimension of style and tone that, up to that point, I hadn't even known could exist.

Last night I was reminded by my brother of something Pete said about his bandmate in a G.P. interview years ago. They were asking about the various personalities in The Who and Pete quipped, (I'll paraphrase, as I don't remember it verbatim) "John is quite possibly the most boring human being you could ever meet. He's also a dear friend, the best bass player on the planet, and the only reason we sound like a band."

Later..................

I could name the same albums others will. These were in my ears at the time they came out and have been ever since. Some here have heard me talk about playing lots and sometimes having a brash sound while still supporting/supplying the groove. This is one of the major guys that showed me that about bass.

...A couple of years ago I read an interview where Ox was talking about the Biz and said something to the effect that he couldn't get a gig unless he started his own band, and even then it was tough. The Who renunions were his easiest way to work and be heard. When I read this I felt sad, about like I do now. Because he was such an awesome player decades ago, and had really dedicated himself to learning and doing more yet. I just shake my head when I think how crappy the Biz can be that someone so phenomenal wasn't more respected outside the bass community.

I'm listening right now to the guy that showed me you didn't have to storm the stage in a frenzy to be the quintessential rock of dramatic presence.

I got to hang out with John at trade shows a few times. Always a gentleman, a nice guy, and much funnier than you'd imagine judging only by his dour, taciturn exterior.

One time, at NAMM, my former company was showing off their new line of synthesizers. Our demo guy (Dave Bryce, the moderator of Musicplayer's Keyboard Corner) had done an excellent sequence of the entire "Overture" from Tommy, which he played certain parts over live. While he was doing one performance (and I was standing right behind him), we looked up to see a tall, grey-haired bearded guy wearing a red leather outfit. The guy -- who was none other than the Ox himself -- was listening and enjoying the performance, and was very nice to us afterward.

I saw the Who three times...on their 1982 "farewell" tour and two times after that (roughly 1989 and 1997). Every time, the element that held my attention the strongest was John's mighty playing. Not Townshend's arm twirling, not Daltry's powerful scream. It was that amazing, perfectly-timed right hand and tasty slides up and down the neck that caused me to shake my head in amazement.

He may have grown older but he never got old, if you know what I mean. I can listen today to anything he did over the past 35 years and still be impressed every single time.

RIP, John. I mourn not for you, but for the generations of people that never will have the pleasure of seeing you do what you did best live and in person. I'm lucky to have had that experience. Enough said.

- Jeff

LIVE AT LEEDS for sure. I had read so much about it from various bassists. They all said the same thing so I got it. Then I knew what they were talking about.

R.I.P. John Entwistle. You will be sorely missed but your music will go on to further inspire bassists for many years to come. :D

SKATE AND DESTROY

www.concretedisciples.com

I was sitting in the Hard Rock Cafe in San Francisco with my friends back in High School...around the time I started playing bass...and amidst the din of people talking I suddenly heard this amazing pulsating throb of a VCS-3 synth. When the band kicked in, I heard an incredible melodic bassline sliding and darting up and down the scale. I didn't know what it was, but it sounded SO COOL.

I turned to my friend who was the resident music-encyclopedia/genius in my group of friends and demanded to know what this song was and who was playing it.

He said, "What? You don't know who this is? This is The Who, man! 'Won't get fooled again!'"

Soon after I went and found "Who's Next" and listened to it nonstop for a year straight...totally blown away and with a MAJOR desire to suss out what he was doing...

--Ben

You know what bothers me about the whole thing, its a musician I will never get a chance to see perform. I had a chance to see him and his band play, I believe he was touring small clubs in 1999 and 2000. He played a show in a Club in Norwalk, Ct. I wanted to go, but I didn't. Do I wish I did now. If there is any musician out there you want to see, go. You just never know. RIP John. :(:cry:

Basically I can only repeat what I've mentioned on the other thread (& what others have said): that beside his phenomenal bass playing, JE was a strong rock pianist, a gifted orchestrator & a sly songwriter.

The list of his work that we might cite would almost seem trivial ("Bo-oris the Spider", indeed!---great song & instrumental lines but it does look a bit silly in print) but I think that everyone's attention could be well attuned to these two instances:

(1) the almost unbelieveable bass solo (in itself a major innovation at the time!) in "My Generation" &

(2) the quite different spirit demonstrated in what I personnally consider his best work---"Heaven & Hell", a song on his first solo record Smash My Head Against The Wall(1971) which features one of the best brass lines you'll ever hear, along with these, perhaps apropo, lyrics (delivered in a most un-sanctimonious manner):

"On top of the world is a place where you go if you've done nothing wrong...

& down in the ground is the place where you go if you've been a bad boy...

why can't we have eternal life & never die ?"

Trust me, if you haven't heard this tune, search it out; it's truly sublime !

"Heaven and Hell" was a great one...Another one of his was a B-side with The Who called "When I Was a Boy." It's about the aging process and is from the time period of "Who's Next." Just thinking about the words to that tune right now just gives me the shivers...

"My how time rushes by,

The moment you're born, you start to die...

Time...waits for no man...

And your lifespan...is over before it begins..."

Utterly jawdropping...

I don't think anyone has mentioned "The Real Me" yet. It was probably the first rock song I ever heard that had such an upfront, aggressive bass part.

I own The Kids Are Alright on VHS. I love the scene where he takes guns out of his guitar case and skeet-shoots with his gold records. I plan on watching it again tomorrow night with my girlfriend, who is an even bigger WHO fan than I am.

Words don't cut it.

A good way to pay his tribute is to see him in action: 3 mpeg video\'s from John Entwistle\'s webpage

He was probably also very proud (rightfully so!) for being elected as Bassist of the millenium

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/projects/thewho/thewhomedia/john2.jpg

Fresh picture of John (from june 11th rehearsals in London, published on the web june 26th)

Photo by Ross Halfin.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Indeed, JE was a consummate player, and by all accounts a fine person. Popular music is better for his having played it, and bass players of all types should look to his playing as part of fundamentals 101.

I got a chance to see The Who on their first tour with Kenny Jones, and it was The Ox who captivated me all night. But he always held me in a mix of thrall and awe, playing parts so intense and tasty, supporting thesong and calmly observing the band's chaos.

As for songs, My Generation (still blows me away),

Substitute, and Who Are You stand out right away, but of course there are many.

My condolences to those who knew him best...His friends, his family, and his fans, especially those he moved to play music and create.

He will be missed. Thanks, Ox. R.I.P.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I remember the first instructional video I bought was John teaching the fundamentals of bass, and then went on to teach fretboard tapping and the use of 3-finger plucking. I was totally blown away. I can also remember having my first band cover "My Generation," & being totally frustrated because I was a beginner, and I couldn't hold down the groove like Entwistle. He was the first bassist to captivate me with his lines, and he really held that band together as Townshed, Moonie, & Roger went off on stage. Through interviews and books I've read, he was a gentle being who had a great, dour sense of humor. He will never be forgotten, and he will always be reveared. We'll miss you.

Never was a gigantic Who fan, but Entwhistle seemed the most musically schooled, disciplined and stable of the group. And an idiosyncratic playing style which really filled in the spaces for the band. I've always respected him, and it's a shame he's gone.

don't mean to sound like an ignorant little twit, but i never really was into the who. went from my shameless days of chart topping pop music to liking metal...

but i always like to expand musical horizons... what's some good songs by the who to download?

- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Originally posted by sheX:

what's some good songs by the who to download?

If you listen to these through tiny computer speakers it won't do them justice.

Love Reign O'er Me, Behind Blue Eyes, 5:15, Another Tricky Day (a personal favorite of mine), Won't Get Fooled Again, I'm One, Bargain.

Originally posted by sheX:

don't mean to sound like an ignorant little twit, but i never really was into the who. went from my shameless days of chart topping pop music to liking metal...

but i always like to expand musical horizons... what's some good songs by the who to download?

How I love your honesty! I raised my (now) 21 year old daughter on heavy doses of the Who, and this afternoon we drove to her apartment listening to then new "Ultimate Collection" recently released. She knew all the words and sang along.

Part of appreciating the Who is understanding the spiritual search of Pete Townshend. Songs like "The Seeker" ("I've got values, but I don't know how or why"), "Substitute" and especially "Bargain"

"I'd gladly lose me to find you,

I'd glady give up all I've got.

To find you, I'm gonna run and never stop.

I call that a Bargain, the best I've ever had.

This questing drives much of the Who music; Tommy is especially important. If you haven't seen that movie, it's the story of a young kid who becomes "deaf, dumb and blind" because he witnesses the accidental killing of his father and is told to lie about it. The movie is his search for truth, finding it, becoming a Messiah, marketing that, and losing everything...except truth. What a concept and when I watch it I still cry.

Roger Daltrey once said "There is no one who can write a better rock-n-roll song better than Pete, and no one who can sing it better than me."

Great examples of Daltrey's singing would be "Who are you," "Love Reign on Me" and "Behind Blue Eyes."

In addition to his writing, Pete Townshend is one of the most vibrant rhythm players in rock history. You can listen to nearly every song and hear both his electric and acoustic playing all over the place. "Pinball Wizard" has classic Pete playing.

Entwhistle is an outstanding bassist, known for his very active, note-filled style. A good one, with, with a bass solo, is "Who are you."

Keith Moon's drumming can only be described as rabid. He goes f***ing crazy all the time...and is responsible for the sound of the who. You have to get some live playing to really get his vibe, the aforementioned "live at Leeds" might be a good place to start.

Another aspect of the Who are the phenomenal musical arrangements...Kit Lambert as producer, but Pete and John developing material much the same as some old college fart. The maturity of their musical development is, unparalleled in Rock, IMHO...I think it is better (Forgive me) than Sgt. Peppers...and maybe better than Pink Floyd. The album "Quadrophenia" might be a good listen to hear that, but, of course, Tommy is also important.

Video: "Tommy" is a must to understand the Who. Not only do they (along with others) do the soundtrack, Roger Daltrey proves a phenomenal actor in this role...(looking in his vacant eyes in the Church of Rock, with Eric Clapton as the high priest, is chilling.)

Also, if you can get to see "The Kids are Alright" it will give you a flavor of their personality...in some ways they behave like the Beatles, in other ways, more, uh, aggressively. This video, however, with tons of live performances, will really introduce you to both the music and their personalities.

Pete tore up some classic guitars.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Pontiac Silverdome - Early Eighties just after the release of Who Are You on vinyl. Entwistle and company rock the joint.

Nuff said.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

i'm too young to be exposed to John Enwhistle. My only memory of him is the Who's Ed Sullivan performance because I've seen it on VH1 so much.

He was the only one who didn't go buck wild. I thought it rather comical.

But from y'all have said I will indeed check into the who :thu:

Archived