Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sounds from the end of the world

question: when i pan an audio track far right it sounds like it is at the end of the world, ie far away. Why is that? Have i got something set up wrong? My humble setup: Pent III Cubase r6 Luna II (Maybe that the setup is not relevant) Also when i play a master on my cd player sometimes a song has vocals only on the left side, but some songs they are in the middle. I must have done something different but i'm not sure what. Any help appreciated Ah, hell, while i'm at it I'll ask: how does one get the clicks out of a track,eg, recorded bass from a guitar synth cut up and placed in the song, but sometimes a click sounds at the beginning of the segment. I've tried autopan unsuccessfully but i must admit, and what is probably most apparent, i'm still cutting my new teeth here, ie maybe i'm doing it wrong. yours it's fun to make music swifty

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I possibly know the answer to the last question. The clicks that you are hearing at the beginning (or possibly at the end) of your edited segment are most likely either "improper" edits or DC offset. If the former, what you want to do as much as is possible is to perform your edits at zero crossings for both the beginning and ending of your edit. This will greatly reduce the amount of clicks that you hear. If the latter -- well, honestly, I don't know your program, but what this means in very crude terms is that due to perhaps a slight mathematical error in calculations on the part of your program -- be it a conversion error or some other math error -- some of your audio may not end perfectly on "digital zero". When you make your edit, your edit may not be exactly at "digital zero", and when you are playing back your audio, it may go from one audio segment that is not at "digital zero" to one that is. The result is an audible click. I did not explain DC offset very scientifically, so if it is inaccurate, someone please correct me. I don't think it's too far off conceptually, so you get the idea, but it may be worded incorrectly....... ------------------ Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/Nectar http://www.elevenshadows.com 4 music, travel, more! http://www.cdbaby.com/elevenshadows

Thanks Ken, i'm showing my ignorance now but what does DC stand for? The clicks occur at the beginnig and to date not at the end so i guess it is working ok. Is there any trick to lining up to zero crossings. I'm using Cubase 5 r6. Thanks sincerely for your time. swifty

Maybe you are cutting in the middle of the audio. Try making the cuts where there is a silent "hole". The same click would occur if you tried to cut an analog tape where there was music playing. ------------------ Mac Bowne G-Clef Acoustics Ltd. Osaka, Japan My Music: [url=http://www.javamusic.com/freedomland]www.javamusic.com/freedomland[/url]

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

If the click is occuring at the beginning or end of a section, try doing a quick fade. If it's happening within a section (i.e. where you've pasted in a good measure to replace a bad measure) try crossfading between the two chunks of audio. I don;t know how to do it in Cubase (I use Digital Performer and do crossfades all the time), but there's got to be a way.

Swifty... Boy, I'm pretty stupid audio wise sometimes, but the far away thing sounds like it could be something as simple as a bad cable... BTW...what sort of reverb unit do you have? How is it inserted into the grand scheme? I'd check that too...that certainly could give you the problem you describe.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Thanks for the replies. ok [QOUTE] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]If the click is occuring at the beginning or end of a section, try doing a quick fade. If it's happening within a section (i.e. where you've pasted in a good measure to replace a bad measure) try crossfading between the two chunks of audio. I don;t know how to do it in Cubase (I use Digital Performer and do crossfades all the time), but there's got to be a way. [/b] Jonathan, i've tried autofades to no avail. I know there is an answer in the manual somewhere, i just haven't found it. I'll keep trying. By the way, how much is Digital Performer? Everyone here seems to use it. Tedster wrote: [QUOTE] Boy, I'm pretty stupid audio wise sometimes, but the far away thing sounds like it could be something as simple as a bad cable... BTW...what sort of reverb unit do you have? How is it inserted into the grand scheme? I'd check that too...that certainly could give you the problem you describe.[/B] [QUOTE] Firstly Ted, i want to say that you have made my day many a day. "Woof" on the philosophy thread was pure genius. Thanks. I'll have to check out the cables. I'm beginning to realise that the questions i ask show laziness on my part- when i get the replies i realise that i haven't seriously tackled the problem myself. thanks Ted. I use the reverb from the cubase effects. i dont have any hardware. so, i am pretty sure its not the reverb. Its probably my cable to audio of the Luna. Its a normal cynch (dont know how to spell that) cable, and maybe that needs to be stereo or something. Anyway, thanks for the help. swifty

>>>Firstly Ted, i want to say that you have made my day many a day. "Woof" on the philosophy thread was pure genius. Thanks. Gawrsh! Shucks! Just having a bit of fun, y'know... >>>I'll have to check out the cables. I'm beginning to realise that the questions i ask show laziness on my part- when i get the replies i realise that i haven't seriously tackled the problem myself. thanks Ted. I wouldn't worry about laziness...I understand how frustrating it is to feel like you've hit a wall trying to come up with solutions, only to inadvertently overlook the obvious. Comes with the territory... [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived