Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Benthic's Washtub Bass

Benthic

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the greatest washtub players of all times is Fritz Richmond, one of whose washtubs now resides in the Smithsonian! He plays with a glove on his left hand with a nickel wired to one of the fingers as a string contact. Fritz' tone and intonation are just great. He played on all the Kweskin Jug Band stuff & on a lot of the Boston Cambridge folkie stuff. Went on to be Paul Rothchild's (Doors producer) favorite recording engineer. Fritz may have a website.

By now my designs have evolved into more of an EUB-type thing. Questions: What scale length should I make it? I have some old bass guitar strings I could use, but then it would have to be a 34 inch scale. Ideally I'd have a 42 inch scale, like an upright, but those strings are expensive; (it will be a two string bass) does scale length make a difference in the sound?

Also, does anyone know how I could get pickups for only two strings?

OK, Maybe what I was looking for in an Acoustic Bass Guitar, was actually

capable in a Washtub bass !!! (you never mentioned this Rick LOL!)

Can we put a speaker & battery powered amp in the tub ?¿?

Just joking of course, -

As far as a two string pickup, I would think half of a P-bass split pickup would do the thing , no ?

Good Luck & keep on Thumpin'

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

I have ordered some tuners for my bass. I bought a PVC tube for the body but I saw a metal pipe at a nearby building site that seems the right size. I'm guessing metal has better acoustic properties than PVC. I am going to attempt to make off with it tonight.

RE: acoustic qualities of PVC - Makes me think of the Blue Men ads for Intel's Pentium 4 chips - PVC has great acoustics, and as the ad illustrates, it's pitch could be modified by having a sleeve of slightly larger diameter pipe that you could slide up or down to adjust the length of the pipe, kinda like a Hipshot D-tuner does ;-). From my old days on construction sites I would say PVC would have better tone than metal and resist denting better as well. 6"' or 8" PC would also be hefty enough to screw hardware like tuners, PU or bridge to, while most HVAC type metal ducts have less mass and body wall thickness. BTW, if you were contemplating a "Midnight Mart" visit to the construction site, better wear a flak vest - contractors tend to get a bit agitated about that sort of thing.

Archived