Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can a guitarist play good bass lines?

I think if the music calls for busy and you're unable to deliver it's just as bad as if the music calls for simple and you play all over everything. You've got to get chops and then forget you have them.
~clockwirk~

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You've got to get chops and then forget you have them."

Oh, yes! When you do that, you put into the song only what it calls for, nothing more, nothing less. It's the most beautiful then. Reminds me of Thoreau and his thoughts on sufficiency.

As a bass player i don't like to stay to focused on the guitar.You have to know where the changes are and lock in with the drums. As for All Along the Watchtower, Noel Redding got pissed of at Jimi and left the studio. Dave Mason was there to play 12 sring guitar and Jimi got him to do a few takes on the bass, Then jimi did a few tracks. This is on top of Noel's work. There are a few bass tracks on the studio version that is why is is so difficult to play accuratly. The 8 lp Hendrix box set that came out this year has the original with no overdubs and is awsome. Yes a guitar player can lay down a good bass line, and thats my final answer1

I've played regular guitars since '62 and bass since '66; yep, a geezer!

Whenever I see a regular guitar player pick up a bass for the first time, what stands out to me is how they do no note muting, and I realize that I too do little or none when playing regular guitar (or is it soprano bass, heh!).

I have found in my bass playing that as I move from one note to another, it's critical to mute that prior note if I want to get a well-defined tone. Heck, I spend as much effort muting notes as I do playing them!

Never thought about it, but as the frequency of tones get higher, seems like muting gets less noticable.

So, I'd say muting notes is an important skill for regular guitar players to develop.

rick clingman

songseeds.com

richard

songseeds.com

One guitar player I know of is so accomplished that he plays guitar parts and bass lines at the same time: Matt Mitchell, a 7-string guitarist from Tucson, Az.

His CD, "Talking to Myself", is one of my all-time favorite guitar albums.

You can hear a few cuts from it here, as well as cuts from his other recordings:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/207/matt_mitchell.html

Of course guitar player's can play bass. Behind every working bass player is the shell of an out of work guitarist, right?!?!?! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Hey boys and girls!

I've been bouncing around the engineering, production, and guitar forums for a few months, but this is my first foray into the Bass forum.

Guitplayer, you should know by now that I'm a guitar player and sound mixer first and foremost. I can relate to your conundrum.

When I pick up a bass, I recount all the wonderful bass lines I've heard that might fit a song I've been working up on the guitar.

Then I start playing root notes and octaves, or melodies that foul up the rhythm/bass connection and foundation of the mix. The few songs I've truly finished on my own have BEGUN with bass lines.

When I work from this approach, the bass line ends up being very melodic, with lots of variation in note duration and rhythms. Then I can build a rhythmic guitar, etc. orchestration above it.

With my long fingernails on my right hand, I have to be careful not to pull the whole cuticle off a finger, picking bass.

And with a Peavey T-40 as my only bass, I really have to imagine what the instrument SHOULD sound like. (The low E is dead... I mean Tim McVeigh won't be as dead as this bass, come Monday... Ok, that was sick..)

(ahhhhh... I'm spent!)

Stick with it. I agree with most of the posts. Many good crossovers (anyone mention Sting? Now there's a guy who knows what he wants out of both instruments.) and you keep learning. That's what makes you excel...

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Oh No, dissing the Fabulous T-40....If this wasn't such a civil forum, them would be fightin words. Seriously, My E is more alive than almost any of my other basses.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

Oh No, dissing the Fabulous T-40....If this wasn't such a civil forum, them would be fightin words. Seriously, My E is more alive than almost any of my other basses.

Sorry, but the aluminum nut and shoddy build are audibly apparent in my instrument. Glad yours was one of the good ones. It's damn purty, though! Natural finish matches the T-60 my bro bought in 1978 (his first electric guitar) and I inherited in 1984.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Of course guitar player's can play bass. Behind every working bass player is the shell of an out of work guitarist, right?!?!?! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Nobody wants to shout this from the rooftops? I'm shocked! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif What kind of bass players are you, to refuse a prime target like this! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived