Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass strings... what to choose from ?

Ghismar

complaining about bad jokes with that username?

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some advice whatever your method for prolonging string life (mine is using an elixir of liquefied carp and holy water, but don't rip me off I'm getting a patent.) When you re-string make sure you are using a decent stretch and pop technique at max volume. Preferably at 3:00am with your windows open. The cool night air helps the strings life and makes your neighbors so happy to witness the "creative musical process" at an hour when there is no other noise to get in the way.

-Fish

...I find the only alternative to the excellent early morning stretch technique is to take your bass to the local music shop on a saturday afternoon, plug into the loudest amp at full volume and slap really fast and out of time for about three hours, just to make sure the strings are working. I always do this, to avoid getting a dud string and breaking it on a gig. My experiences in music shops suggest that there are about eight million other bassists in the world who use the same method, and some are even generous enough to test the strings on all the really high end basses in the shop as well, without spoiling the display by actually ever buying one. I've been really moved by these sacrificial acts of altruism, also witnessed in great numbers at the NAMM show. It's lead me to believe that bassists are indeed most noble and kind, but sadly misunderstood... :o)

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Noble and Kind but sadly misunderstood, hmmm...

You should do me a favor and write to my neighbor. I don't think what she calls me translates to that, but their might just be some new definitons added to four letter words. lol.

Have fun everyone (especialy at 3 am or in the music shop)

-Fish

Elixirs are pretty expensive, but the upside is, they sound bad for a really long time! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Actually, I haven't heard the new ones with the thinner coating, maybe they are better. I thought the old ones were stiff, and harsh sounding. Who cares if they last forever. Also, over time, the gore-tex starts to peel off where you attack the string, very nice. I hope they have addressed these issues with the new formulation.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Where I live I can get a 4 string set of Elixirs for about twice the price of a normal set. They last me about six times as long. Yes, Elixirs aren't perfect. They do however get the job done. If I could, I would put a new set of DRs on every week. But not having endorsements and being a student and all. I find Elixirs work the best for me.

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

Can we forget about string boiling for a while and get back on topic? What strings ROCK? What strings SUCK? What materials are best for (a) sound, and (b) longevity. What strings record best? What strings are available for long guage and through the body basses?

I'm thinking of trying something new, and I need some info. Hit me!

Originally posted by Benthic:

do flatwounds last longer than roundwounds?

depends what you mean by 'last' - they dont' stay as similar to the new sound for as long, but then flats are less bright when they are new, so aren't really a good replacement for rounds.

I change my rounds about once a month, and the flats about once a year, similar amounts of use..

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Well what I meant was do flatwounds retain their original sound longer than roundwounds do theirs; so you're saying that flatwounds actually sound older faster, bearing in mind that they already sound less bright initially?

Archived