Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass strings... what to choose from ?

Ghismar

Hi guys, I would like to know (even if there probably have been some discussion about it before )what are the differences of sound, lasting, and tension when we talk about "nickel", "stainless", bronze or any other kind?

I know that roundwound sound brighter that flatwound but aside of that

is anybody have noticed "big" differences between brands of strings ?

My hands do a lot of acidity and the strings tend to become flat sounding after a short period, is a material better than the other? Since i've never been able to test every string type your opinion could help me to orientate my future buyings.

Thanks in advance

Ghis http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stainless are rumored to have longer life than Nickel wound, which could help with your short string life...

String to string variance is really a matter of preference. There are hundreds of varieties out there where the difference between them is relatively small...

I use Slowounds by D'Addarrio and they last longer than most nickel wounds. They're nickel wound and I tend to prefer that sound, they're punchy but not quite as raw as stainless strings...plus I can boil them several times before they start to come apart...

i've found that slowounds sound really great on my P, and they always last longer than on my J. i like DR strings on my J, but i'm still trying to find the perfect style. i haven't had a chance to try hi-beams and sunbeams; i've only tried lo-riders, which are pretty nice. they last for a long time, but when they go dead, they are the deadest of dead.

Thank you Benloy, Synaes et modulusman. I've just bought a new set and i pick the slowound. I'll give my impression in a few time.

Has anyone heard about "elixir" ? I just didn't trust them (even if they're expensive : $42 US). They're coated with a "polyweb" material that prevent the durt to enter the wounds. They should last longer for that reason. Has anyone ever tried them ? are they good for slapping too ?

i've never tried elixir strings for bass. i hear the coating starts to wear off after a while, especially if you play with a pick.

i've used the acoustic strings and they sound brand new (very bright) all the time. they never go dull. if the bass strings sound like that, it's worth it. you just can't change your strings as often, since they're so expensive.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I use Slowounds by D'Addarrio and they last longer than most nickel wounds. They're nickel wound and I tend to prefer that sound, they're punchy but not quite as raw as stainless strings...plus I can boil them several times before they start to come apart...

I've never boiled bass strings, but I've heard of people doing it. Do they go back on your bass with more of their original life and brightness for any reason other than the cleaning, or is it just the removal of residue?

I know someone that's even soaked guitar strings in something along the order of gasoline! Yep, I know... sounds strange, and like definitely like a don't-try-this-at-home procedure, but apparently he got something from it. It was years ago. I can't really see gassing or boiling guitar strings. I mean I get whole boxes for in special deals. But if you're hard on strings due to acid or whatever, I can understand wanting more life from bass strings, because that would mount up in cost after a while.

Wow, it took 3 whole months before boiling strings came up! Worth noting I guess!

I think there are very big differences between brands of materials of strings. For instance, I mostly use LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels. Carvin strings their basses with their own brand, but the strings are actually LaBella Steps. When I get a new Carvin, first thing I do is take off the strings and put on the HRS because I don't like the Steps. Same company, both Stainless Steel, but the cores are different and perhaps the winding.

Some strings are very stiff, others more flexible. I'm more in tune with that factor than the sound differences. The strings have to have a certain suppleness to them for my taste. I have used DR High Beams, and Low Riders, they are good strings, but maybe a bit stiff for my taste. The new DR Phat Beams (The Marcus Miller set) feel great, very loose for bending and slapping.

I notice this difference on upright bass strings too. "Rope" core strings have a braided metal core and tend to be more supple and mellow sounding than solid core strings.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

The only real problem with boiling string (other than risk of injury for those who lack basic cooking skills) is that the string remains old although it sounds new -- that is, whatever structural damage your playing has done to the string (little kinks and bends, flat spots, places where your acid sweat has eaten away at the string) don't go away just because you've cleaned the string. So you've got a fresh-sounding set of strings that are more prone to breakage than a fresh set of strings would be. This can be a problem for the gigging bassist who plays even slightly aggressively. If you can afford to pay for new strings, it's probably a better idea to do so, if only for peace of mind.

I agree that boiling is more of a poor-man's solution to dead strings...they definately don't stay "live" sounding as long as new strings, but in an emergency (night of a gig/session, no new strings, and no music stores open), it can be a godsend. Obviously the best solution is to try to get a string endorsement! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

The main problem with getting that original sound after boiling strings is that the crud and oils are deposited while the strings are under tension. It stands to reason that to REALLY get the strings in original condition, they should be boiled under tension, so I recommend boiling the entire bass. This will probably also help with the black and green build up next to the frets on the fretboard of fretted instuments. Another benefit is that the contact for your cord will have quite a bit more condutivity after cleaning. This operation requires a very large pot and should be left to your local luthier because he or she will be more experienced at boiling water and how long your bass should be boiled before bringing it back out of the bubbling brew. If the problem is recurring, you may have to have the sweat glands removed from your hands for a long term fix.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Lug, you crack me up! ;-)

Boiling strings!? Very interesting. I'm betting the heat does something similar to the annealing (enealing sp?) process in forging. When forging a piece of metal, you can only pound it so long (I'm talking about cold forging with a hammer) before it gets brittle. Then you need to heat it up and dip it in cold water to continue forging. The process of heating and cooling it makes it more flexible. I don't know how, I just know it does. You can only do this so many times before the metal becomes really brittle and each time the metal is less flexible than the time before. Hence, the great jewelers and metalsmiths are the ones that get the most of their design out of the first forging session.

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Lug,

I hope you don't mind, but your last post was so beautiful I had to forward it on the The Bottom Line, the forum I've been a member of for 8 years. The boiling strings thing comes up there once a year it seems, so I knew they would appreciate your expert opinion on that!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Interesting that nobody has mentioned the alternates to boiling...

So I will do it! :-)

I use pure lemon juice. My Washburn acoustic really needs bright strings to be heard well, so I will take the strings off it, put them in a mason jar full of lemon juice, and leave it overnight.

The next day you take the strings out, wipe them dry, and restring the bass. Nice and bright again.

One other note, is that I do not believe that metal fatigue (or annealing) is going to happen at the temperature of boiling water. We are talking seriously low temps, here. Annealing is an extremely high-heat process.

From Dictionary.com: "anneal: To subject to great heat, and then cool slowly, as glass, cast iron, steel, or other metal, for the purpose of rendering it less brittle; to temper; to toughen."

Groovy,

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary

No, you're absolutely correct -- boiling doesn't cause metal fatigue in strings. Playing, however, does, and boiling (nor any other kind of string cleaning) doesn't cure it -- and that's the problem I was trying to point out.

This message has been edited by Mr. Wise Man on 05-04-2001 at 07:52 AM

Hey ED, thanks for putting me into TBL. Thats only the second time I,ve been there! By the way, I have a really bad problem with warped necks and finishes coming off my basses. Does anybody know what could cause this?

Originally posted by lug:

Hey ED, thanks for putting me into TBL. Thats only the second time I,ve been there! By the way, I have a really bad problem with warped necks and finishes coming off my basses. Does anybody know what could cause this?

LUG,

No prob, they've had it up to here (imaginary hand up to the eyes) with the string boiling thing, you have crafted the most original response to this question I've ever seen and you should be properly immortalized!

As far as your warped neck and finish problem, sounds like you're playing the basses before they dry properly, and exactly how much vinegar and lemon juice do you add to the water? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Ed, did you say lemon juice and vinegar.... amateurs!

the real secret ... battery acid mixed with Tums.

You heard it here 1rst!

Lug,

Ah...I see, the battery acid and Tums combine to create the perfect pH balance to stimulate the metal's natural regenerative processes, thus prolonging string life indefinately. The string manufacturers have sat on this secret since the 1600's when it was first discovered by Gallileo in Italy while working on a formula for a meat tenderizer. Of course! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I'm surprised nobody has suggested using Microwave owen to make the dirt evaporate - you won´t even need any water!

Just put 'em in there and blast away! ;-)

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

sorry to be serious, what with all the good joking, but i've found that having the windows open when the weather is humid has done a lot for my string life. as long as i'm not sweating too much, it seems my strings last longer when the weather is warm than during the winter. i think this is because the air is much drier in the winter.

has anyone else noticed this?

Finally! Real science on the web! Thanks Ed and Mats. Its great to have a reasoned and thoughtful discussion about the physics of sound rather than some people's superstitions and misconceptions on the subject. The next subject that needs to be brought to the light of day is the myth of the "Warm Tube Sound" some people claim they get out of their old, worn out amps. After careful research and experimentation, I have found that

tube get no warmer than Integrated Circuits. As a mater of fact, I have even burned my finger on an output mosfet transister! So, I have concluded that to get a realy "hot" sound, you must go with solid state!

I probably should have started a new topic on this.

p.s. - Do you think warming your strings before playing helps "warm up" your sound?

Lug,

Well, the Bass Station is nothing if not scientifically informed!

You've discovered my secret for getting a warm sound! I soak my strings in rubbing alcohol and set them ablaze before each gig. (It also keeps them nice and clean).

Disclaimer: Make sure fire is out, alcohol burns invisibly! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Hey! You stole that idea from Hendrix! Actually I am writing to thank you profusely for the promotion to senior member. I will work hard in my new

position and try not to let the team down. I don't know if I am worthy of this great honor but will strive to acheive the level of dedication and sacrifice necessary to maintain the lofty goals of this forum. Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart (tear wells up in left eye).

Having investigated many types of string, I discovered that I really liked the sound of tapewounds. However, the costs involved were prohibitive and so applying the principles of 'the namesake series' (copyright Dave St Hubbins), I started using tapeworms, stretching them to achieve the different thinknesses required. The sound is great, and thanks to now having a bowel infestation, I'm also thin enough to start a drag act as a Christina Aguilera tribute act... life is good...

...and the tape worms don't need cleaning, just feeding...

Steve

This board is getting better and better. After exhausting all the physics scientific avenues available to us in regards to string structure and sound, Steve L. brings up the biological issues often overlooked by much of the bass playing public. Thanks Steve for pushing the envelope that much further. A few questions - Which do you prefer, regular or taper cored tapeworms? Does the geometry of the tapeworm intestine effect the brightness and sustain of the string? Can you boil a dead tape worm and bring new life to it (even if it is somewhat shorter than its original life)? Do you need to reset intonation with tapeworm guage changes? Does Christina really know what a girl wants? What a girl needs? What will make

her happy?

I wondering if this forum is for bass talk or bad jokes.

I think I'd rather stick to buying strings more often that marinating them. I use Elixir strings on my basses, they may cost a lot, but you get your money back in how long they last.

Tony

Archived