Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite bass albums

sbrock1san.rr.com

Great albums for bass

Fragile, Relayer, Close to the Edge - Yes

Wired - Jeff Beck

School Days - Stanley Clarke

Early Peter Gabriel Albums

Quadrophenia - The Who

What Hits? - Red Hot Chili Peps

Every Rush album ever made

Humble Pie live at the Filmore

First Album by Neil Schon/Jan Hammer (Can't remember name)

Live at the Acropolis - Yanni (I'm not kidding, listen to the bass)

Early Genesis (before Rutherford switched to g****r and quit being original

on the bass)

All the Dave Mathews Band albums

All of these may not be the most technical but they are all great to listen to. I'm sure after I hit the Submit Key, fifty more great ones will pop into my head.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite bass albums is from Nashville bassist Jim Ferguson, called "Not Just Another Pretty Bass." The disc is mostly jazz standards, and Jim walks all the lines and sings at the same time with no overdubs. The time is totally swinging, his solos are wonderful, his upright sound is beautiful, and his singing is terrific. _You_ try walking a constantly-changing line and singing at the same time. Great practice!

I also love Darren Jessee from Ben Folds Five. His sound is so different than most, but it fills up Ben Folds' songs wonderfully.

Meanwhile, in Irish music, Chico Huff plays with Solas and plays tough, funky bass lines through the jigs and reels. "When Juniper Sleeps" by Seamus Egan is a great example.

In the end, I don't care what the bass is doing, so long as the music swings. On the other hand, if it swings, you know the bassist has got it together. You can't have groove without us!

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

As far as Larry playing with the Jackson 5, well, I've never heard of it, but I may have missed it (doubtful) Anyone have the definitive word on that?

I couldn't find any info re: Mr. Graham & Jackson 5. I must've had a late-night brain fart. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Bootyquake,

If you're a Jim Ferguson fan, check out his new CD "Deep Summer Music" (A-Records). It has more of his gorgeous singing, some of his wry Mose Allison influenced originals, and - he wrote lyrics to a Red Mitchell solo over "You Be So Nice To Come Home To" that he sings and plays simultaneously. Jim is a great guy too, I had the pleasure of interviewing him for BP a little while back, in the 10/99 issue. You can check out his site at www.jimfergusonmusic.com

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• 2 weeks later...

*New Poster*

Wow we got a lot of good talk going on this board. I'm fairly new to the Bass Guitar with only three months under my belt. All is going well though and I'm making quick progress. Let me add that Stanley Clarke's Bass-ic collection has some whacked out stuff on there. At my stage, I couldn't even fathom playing that fast.

While I like a lot of the stuff you all mentioned, I would like to make mention of a punk bassist. Yes a punk bassist. Actually any Rancid CD has some of the most crazy bass lines you'll hear by Matt Freeman. The guy is defintely one of the better bassists I've heard. Also, any Red Hot Chili Peppers CD is bound to have phenominal bass lines.

Yess,Pino Palladino is playing on Paul Young's record. I think he sounds fantastic. An old stingray fretless, fingerboard remade 5-6 times (he plays Lakland these days). Anyone can tell me what other records he plays?

Other favorites:

*Tony Levin-Peter Gabriel's Secret Wold live in Italy! (4 string, 5 string, fretless, double bass, synth bass and the funk fingers). Please check this out. Best possible sounds out of a stingray. Incredibly tasty playing, perfect tunes.

*Me'shelle with Marcus-Rush Over -Soul!

*Victor Wooten-Ying yang: How can someone play like that, please show me?

Anybody knows interesting fretless players? (Yes, I know steve bailey).

Su$hi, the text of your post came out looking a little distorted, I've asked the webmaster to check it out. Is there anything about the system you're using that might cause that? I'd like you to be able to post here without the garbled text I see in your first post. Maybe it was just a one time thing.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Sushi- Pino Palladino plays on two Tony Banks albums; Bankstatement and Still. I like the Still album and it also features Fish on vocals and Daryl Stuermer on guitar. I love all those guys. Tony Banks is the reason I'm a musician.

He also played on albums by Joan Armitrading and Oleta Adams. Go to www.allmusic.com and do a search for Pino Palladino. He is an very solid player.

Grace Jones - "Nightclubbing", Sly & Robbie at their best...

Ernest Ranglin - "Below the bassline", incredibly good album from the king of Mento. Follow-up album "memories of barber Mack" is almost as good btw.

Miles Davis, Taj Mahal, Muddy Waters and other cats - "The Hot Spot" (soundtrack album). Wow!

The Jack Brothers - "Coltrane King", this is a super bad album you will never ever forget if you once listen to it! (it is very hard to find this CD though, without doubt one of the greatest & meanest recordings of all time IMHO!)

Sly & the Family Stone - "Fresh"

Dr John - "Gris Gris" - "Gumbo" - "In the Right Place" (3 fantastic albums!)

Almost anything produced by Daniel Lanois (except for most of the U2 stuff, wich I´m not to fond of...)

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Su$hi,

It must be the Turkish translator software! I had the webmaster go back and clean up your first post, but it looks like the 2nd one has the same problem after your first sentence. At least on my AOL browser it does. Anyone else see the distorted text out there? Well, I don't know, I guess we'll live with it.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Getting back to killer bass albums:

Paul Chambers--"Bass on Top" Good god this man should've been mixed up front more often...

Dave Holland--"Ones All" *Gulp*

Paul Simon--"Graceland" Bakithi, man! Nuff said.

Stanley Clarke--"Stanley Clarke" Wowsers. I wanna quit playing so I can have more time to listen to this record. Worth buying just to hear Tony Williams' intro on "Power".

Jaco Pastorius--"Twins I&II" Warner has only released it in Japan, but you can find it in places. A more complete selection from the concert that also yeilded the more abbreviated "Invitation".

Edgar Meyer--"Uncommon Ritual" Proof that a man can make a double bass sound like any member of the viol or violin family.

Duke Ellington--"Money Jungle" Mingus' playing is angry enough already, but Mingus when he's REALLY ANGRY? Wow.

Peter Gabriel--"Secret World Live" Tony Levin is one of my favorites, and his ensemble playing recorded here is a prime example. So tasty!

That's all for now...

Tony Levin - Everything he has played with Gabriel and Crimson is brilliant.

Paul Simon's bass player since Graceland, yea, that guy. Wow.

The origional bass blayer from the Bhundu Boys, their first four albums before he died, very creative lines played with more feeling than should be legal.

Larry Grahm, the first and last song on GSS 2000. Sorry, but the rest of the album (with the exception of Free) was ruined by Prince's overproduction. And I am a huge Prince fan. Larry, to the best of my knowledge, never played with the Jacksons, that was Jamerson.

Cameo - Larry Blackman, word up!

-David R.

-David R.

I seem to prefer bands with solid, in the groove bass rather than solo pyrotechnics (well, maybe "Jaco") One of my all time favorites was re-issued recently - Taj Majal's "The Real Thing" recorded at Filmore East in 1971. The photo on the back pretty much says it all - 4 TUBAS led by Howard Johnson plus Bill Rich on what looks like a Fender Jazz. This record kicks some serious bass booty! I also am enjoying the recent Dr. John "Duke Elegant" - all Duke tunes played in N'awlins funk style - tasteful slappin bass by David Barard on "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)", though I'm not sure what the Duke would think of these renditions - its not like any other Ellington I've heard. And for real modern stuff, check out Erika Badu's first CD - "Baduism" - the first cut opens with a low "B" note, and much of the record feels like a duet for bass and vocals (ok, there's some drums and keys in there, but this is really a bass driven record). The joy of it all is how much great stuff is out there - enough to keep me smiling and humble for life. Speaking of humble - Victor Wooten is coming to town next week :-)

I agree with SteveW, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but bass ought to hold up (down?) the groove. IMHO, if ya' wanna' solo alla' time, play the guitar! Unless, of course, your name is Jaco or Victor...

Anyway, anything by Bob Marley with Family Man Barrett.

3 great "bass" albums featuring Jerry Jemmot in his prime :

1) BB King's "Completely Well" features the original recording of The Thrill Is Gone

2) King Curtis "Live At The Fillmore" and 3) Aretha Frankin "Live At The Fillmore" (both recorded at the same show with the same band - JJ- bass, Bernard Purdie - drums, Cornell Dupree - guitar, Billy Preston - organ, King Curtis Sax, the Memphis Horns.

Jerry had his own take on the Jamerson approach. Busy, lots of notes with a bubbly feel, yet never in the way. His playing on Completely Well is a textbook in free form r&b jamming.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

If you love amazing yet truly melodic soloing Matt Garrison's solo CD has been in my CD player for over a month. I play it repeatedly/daily and haven't tired of it yet! I honestly feel that he's the ONLY player/composer to do something truly new and forward thinking since Jaco. Flamenco style incredibly fast runs, bubbling ostinaos,etc. It's fusiony/slightly world music-y. His CD can be ordered online only via The Bass Collective dot com. It only took 3 days to get fron NYC to the West Coast. Bass Player Magazine had a lead feature on him two issues ago. If you're not just into "the pocket" you owe yourself this listening experience. OK Matt owes me a commision! Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Oops I always think of something else after I submit.....

I think the best way to describe Matt Garrison's playing is that his start and start again scale fragments resemble John Pattituchi's but more melodically accessible with a smoother (non piezo) attack. He multitracks several basses at the same time. It's SO cool...unique . Matt has his own webpage @ Garrisonjazz.com. I don't know how ordering goes with him. The collective was fast. I hope everyone gets to hear him eventually. I'm on a mission!! Jim T. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

I heard Eddie Gomez on a Bill Evans record in the '70s, saw him live at the keystone corner in SF with Jack Dejonet and Aierto, so when I found a Japanese import CD "GOMEZ" I had to have it! Chick Corea and Steve Gadd give him plenty of room, Kazumi Watenabe does some really tasty guitar work, Yasuaki Shimizu on sax.

Another great Jazz Bass/Guitar CD, Ron Carter and Jim Hall "Telephone"

no matter where you go, there you are...

http://johnnypistolaband.com

Longwalk,

Yes on the Jimmy Haslip CD! Red Heat is a great one. I did a "track by track" feature on it in BP recently. The song "Laguna" is one of the most beautiful tunes I've ever heard. Very evocative and deceptively complex!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Alain Caron from Quebec!

I did not care much for his newest: "Call Me Al" but LOVE his Tower of Power-ish/funky "Play" CD. and his jazzier "Rhythm and Jazz" CDs. Great funk on the former and oodles of cool fretless solos on both. (He slaps fretted very melodically as well.) I believe there's a book of transcriptions available for one or both of these CDs. Get 'em from his website alaincaron.com or from Canadian record shops.

Edgar Watson Howe

Originally posted by toneflow:

Hi everyone - just wandered on in here .... great forum, great thread - cool to hang out with a bunch of bass junkies.

Mike Rivard on Jonatha Brooke's "10 cent Wings"

1000's of others

Keep up the great forum!

Tony

Another appreciator of the wonderful Mike Rivard - his stuff with Jonatha is just amazing. And she is, in my very humble opinion, one of the finest singer-songwriters around to day, and I can't even begin to imagine why she isn't as huge as Jewell/Sarah McLachlan etc...

Her new CD rocks, but it's not Mike Rivard on bass...

my fav bass CDs would be

Plumb - Jonatha Brooke (with Mike Rivard)

Hejira - Joni 'n' Jaco

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key Of Life (Nathan Watts on most of it)

Beyond The Missouri Sky - Haden/Metheny

King's X - DogMan

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen

Michael Manring - Thonk

Peter Gabriel Live (Levin)

Michael McDonald - if that's what it takes

Bright Sized Life - Metheny with Jaco

just about anything with Lee Sklar on

and loads more...

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

VICTOR BAILEY'S -BOTTOMS UP AND HIS NEW RELEASE LOW BLOW ARE BOTH GREAT RECORDS WITH LOADS OF TECHNIQUE AND GOOD MELODIES.

RHONDA SMITH AND MESHELL NDEGEOCELLO-TWO BAD LADIES OF THE BASS!!!

ANY YELLOWJACKETS RECORDING FEATURING MY FAVORITE BASSIST JIMMY HASLIP.

OF COURSE ANYTHING BY MARCUS MILLER OR LARRY GRAHAM.

THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT CONTRIBUTORS TO MUSIC TODAY IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO LIST THEM ALL.I BELIEVE WE ARE ALL BORN WITH A GIFT OF SOME SORT.IT IS UP TO US TO CULTIVATE AND NURTURE THAT GIFT TO ITS FULLEST POTENTIAL.

Mike Rivard is an old buddy from Boston days, he has a new project called Club D'Elf that is very cool. Dub/trance/ethnic/jazz/hiphop stuff. It's a live double CD with guests like John Medeski, DJ Logic, Kenwood Dennard, Reeves Gabrels and more. Check it out at www.clubdelf.com

Some of my favorite work of his was with the group The Story. Jonatha Brooke and Jennifer Kimball sang together beautifully with a killer band behind them including Mike, Alain Mallet (now with Paul Simon), Ben Wittman (a brilliant drummer) and Duke Levine, one of the greatest guitarists around.I had the pleasure of playing with these guys (except Mike of course) a lot in other bands.

Jonatha Brooke really had that sound way before all the other Lillith Fair artists hit big. But I think her music may have been too intelligent, too literary for huge mass appeal. She's trying to be more pop now, but her early stuff is very much "brooding intellectual" stuff. Personally, I like brooding intellectual stuff, but it seems more people like Christina Aguilara.

I did a profile on Mike in the 8/00 issue of BP.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

This is sort of cheating, but on long car trips, I love to pop in my Standing In The Shadows of Motown cassettes. - I listen to the CD version at home.

Top five favorite highlights -

5. Gerald Veasley on Darling Dear

4. Phil Chen on Reach Out (Phil has mastered the Jamerson tone)

3. Chuck Rainey on Bernadette (perfect, note for note)

2. James, Jr. on What's Going On? and My Girl (like father, like son)

1. David Hungate on Home Cookin' (never knew David was so damned good!)

Originally posted by BoldRuler:

I heard Eddie Gomez on a Bill Evans record in the '70s, saw him live at the keystone corner in SF with Jack Dejonet and Aierto, so when I found a Japanese import CD "GOMEZ" I had to have it! Chick Corea and Steve Gadd give him plenty of room, Kazumi Watenabe does some really tasty guitar work, Yasuaki Shimizu on sax.

Another great CD with Eddie Gomez is Chick Corea's Three Quartets. It's got Steve Gadd, Chick, of course, Eddie, and Michael Brecker. This is one of my favorite albums for bass.

I also have to chime in on the Bass Player for Blues Traveler. When in the right mood, I just love it.

Another favorite is Pat Methaney's Bright Size Life. It's got Jaco playing some great stuff. My favorite track is the 7th one, can't quite remember the name. It starts out with some nice jazz changes and the groove in the middle just kills!

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

It's a bit of a mixture I know, but here are some thoughts:

All the Booker T & the MGs/ Stax records - Duck Dunn is the best!

Mingus, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - Joni Mitchell + Jaco, wow!

Those classic Al Green songs with Charles Hodges on bass, seriously smooth.

Pretty darn partial to Entwhistle, Ja Wobble, Robbie Shakespeare, Ron Carter

and Aston Barrett.

Archived