Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite bass albums

sbrock1san.rr.com

I agree wholeheartedly with Leland Sklar. With Phil C. and James T. (no not James T. Kirk http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif). Tony Levin is also someone who IMHO plays with a great sense of groove and taste. His work with Gabriel and Crimson is tremendous.He also plays the stick like he's from another planet... Geeeez , more space references. I gotta get some sleep.

Live Long and Prosper...

This message has been edited by Khan Noonian Singh on 02-07-2001 at 01:00 AM

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember on the 70's TV show Dallas, they killed off Bobby, and then later brought him back under the premise that it had all just been a bad dream ?

Hmm....Bad Dream.....Yeah....That's the ticket.... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

This message has been edited by Khan Noonian Singh on 02-07-2001 at 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

>>how about Lee Sklar on James Taylor's stuff?<<

Whenever I see your smiling face... Excellent bass playing! Tasteful and SO in the pocket. Must be the beard! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

>>And of course Pino Palladino on Don Henley's "New York Minute"<<

Didn't Pino play on Paul Young's "Every Time You Go Away?" That's AWESOME fretless work!

>>check out Jimmy Haslip's "Red Heat"<<

Man, that reminds me. Jimmy played on three cuts on Gino Vanelli's Brother To Brother album. Man, can that guy rip! The songs are "Brother to Brother" (bass solo only), "People I Belong To", and "Feel Like Flying." The latter is one of the top ten bass lines of all time, IMHO. Buy the CD or get the MP3's. You've gotta hear this.

A point of clairification if I may. I never meant that Rush was better than Floyd. I was trying to point out that I wish the market was still there to play some Rush. I love both.

This message has been edited by Khan Noonian Singh on 02-07-2001 at 01:05 AM

no kiddin' dan 'Whenever I see Your http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif has got to be one of my all time favorite bass lines of all time. Something about a descending bass line always brings a tear to my eye. Kinda gets me right here

bill

This message has been edited by bilmac on 02-05-2001 at 05:36 AM

Okay back to the topic at hand http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

"Spectrum" - Billy Cobham

"Romantic Warrior" - Return to Forever

"Dark Grooves - Mystical Rhythms" - James Hurt

"School Days" - Stanley Clarke

"Sky Islands" - Ramsey Lewis

Just a minuscule sample of what's out there.

Phil

Phil Smith - Creator of the iGigBook iPad/Android App

Over 1300 Jazz Chord Charts That You Can Transpose

Okay back to bass albums---

I just heard a cut off of Rhonda Smith's CD Intellipop, pretty freakin' cool! She grooves like crazy and layers some interesting textures.

How about Miles Davis' "Jack Johnson"? Michael Henderson on bass with Billy Cobham and John McGlaughlin. Some nasty grooves there!

Look Sharp - Joe Jackson (Graham Maby - on bass) I was into 'New Wave' in my younger days and I think He did a lot to bring the bass in that musical context.

Any Parliment/Funkadelic (Bootsy and other assorted bassists) Can't beat the funk

Any James Brown (another variety of bassists) The Godfather has the funkiest riddem section ever.

Anything with Steve Rodby - tasteful, elegant and choice. possibly the most underrated jazz bassist.

But there are so many bassists and not enough space.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I forgot to mention the entire Van Halen catalog (yes, even the one with the guy from Extreme). Michael Anthony is a solid groove powerhouse and his solo on the live album is also nice, although not technically the best. He definitely holds down the groove for Eddie and Dave/Sammy/the new guy that ruined Van Halen.

I've heard Charlie Haden and Edgar Meyer play some amazing upright stuff, but specific album titles don't come to mind at the moment, because they were owned by friends. Graham Maby added a lot to the Joe Jackson sound.

I heard some cuts from a Brian Setzer Orchestra CD recently. I don't remember the bassist's name, but he was cookin'! Also, Flea on anything, including Alanis Morrisette's "You Oughta Know." He made that song rock.

Hey Kahn, you wouldn't happen to know where I can find a good transcription of Digital Man, would you? I saw one on a web site somewhere, and it was totally bogus.

I love Michael Manring's "Drastic Measures" in addition to the mind blowing tehnical stuff he does, this record has some beautiful, sensitive music on it. I especially like the cuts with Paul Mcandless (oboe) on them.

Another one I just listened to today for the millionth time - Herbie Hancock's "Thrust"! Paul Jackson is the chunkiest, funkiest bass player around! He and Mike Clark (drums) are so amazingly locked in to each other, yet the music is very loose and flowing. Very complex grooves that sound effortless, and his sound! A Fender Telecaster bass I believe with flatwounds. You can hear him digging in to that thing. (No slapping) Awesome! If you've never heard it, you must!

Originally posted by Khan Noonian Singh:

Motown is not really my thing, but what about those early Jackson Five albums ? Anybody know who played on them ?

The Jacksons WERE a Motown group. Others include Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell, The Temptations, and Martha Reeves. Jamerson also played on some of the Booker T. and the M.G.'s cuts (not sure whether they were on the Motown label).

If it kicked *ss and it came from the 60's, there's a reasonable probability that Jamerson played it. He was not a studio musician commodity, he was a star. Producers recognized the value of his contribution and would delay sessions until he was available. Hence, he got to play on a lot of high profile records and helped propel hit after hit up the charts.

I don't know of any other player on any instrument who had the dominant position that James enjoyed in the 1960's. (Pablo Cassals on cello would be the closest comparison.) His influence on McCartney, Bruce, Entwhistle, J.P.Jones, et al. expanded his legacy even further. People who've never heard of James Jamerson use Jamerson techniques every day without realizing it. The guy wrote the book on bass guitar. It's been revised by some high profile modern players, to be certain, but they all derive from James to some extent.

Hi Dansouth,

While I absolutely agree with you on Jamerson's importance with respect to the bass, Booker T and the MGs was Booker T (organ), Steve Cropper (guitar) and Donald "Duck" Dunn (on bass). I believe the drummer was Al Jackson. These guys were to Memphis and the Stax/Volt lables what Jamerson and the Funk Brothers were to Detroit Motown. Strangely enough though, Jamerson did do work for Stax/Volt (The Dramatics) and possibly others (so did Tony Newton, another Motown alumni) I am in the process of taking on the monumental task of discerning what non Motown work the Funk Brother (particularly Jamerson) played on.

I have been a Jamerson fan as long as I have been aware of his sound (some time before there was a name attached to that sound). BTW if You go to Amazon.com there are a lot of Motown Jamerson era CD (reissues) for sale. More importantly there are example of most of the songs on all record (er, CD's) they sell. I started playing bass in 1963...

There were numerouse other players in the 1960's that were ground-breaking bassist. It seemed the music industry was quick to discover local talent (or import it) to rival what was coming out of Detroit. N.Y had Chuck Rainey, Jerry Jemmott, later Gary King, Anthony Jackson, Gordon Edwards, Philly had Sugar Bear Foreman, (now that I am trying to remember more of the cats I am getting mental blocks) Anthony Jackson was also in Philly in the early 70's I believe as was Gordon Edwards and Wilbur Bascomb Jr. Thanks for taking me down memory lane...

------------------

BassLand

http://www.BassLand.net

This message has been edited by BassLand on 02-06-2001 at 08:49 PM

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

My five favorite bass albums,no particular order (after some seriously painful weeding out)

* School Days (Stanley Clarke)

* Sun Don't Lie (Marcus Miller)

* A Show of Hands (Victor Wooten)

* Water Sign (Jeff Lorber Fusion)

* I Wanna Play For You (Stanley Clarke)

Peace,

James

"Fillmore East" and "Eat a Peach"-Allman Brothers Band

The live Vanilla Fudge album (I can't remember the name but a great bass solo by "Tim Bogart on the Fender Bass". Also the ither Vanilla Fudge albums.

"I'm Yours and I'm Hers" and "Leland Mississippi Blues" off of the firts Johnny Winter album for Columbia.

And of course Paul McCartney, James Jamerson, and Bill Wyman.

Buddy

how'z about anything by percy jones, jonas hellborg, or mick karn?

these guys deserve a mention.

darryl jenifer from bad brains is no slouch, & tortoise and godheadsilo have some pretty interesting approaches toward bass driven music.

i've always thought simon raymonde has a tasteful, unique approach on the cocteau twins material, and he's proficient at other instruments too.

matthew garrison is quite good too.

overall, i've enjoyed just about any album these guys played on.

not all of them would be considered 'bass showcase' albums, but then again...

mark @ xush

Originally posted by BassLand:

While I absolutely agree with you on Jamerson's importance with respect to the bass, Booker T and the MGs was Booker T (organ), Steve Cropper (guitar) and Donald "Duck" Dunn (on bass).

Oops! You're right! I meant Jr. Walker and the All Stars, but wrote Booker T. and the MG's. Senility is setting in...

Eddy Offord got great (albiet pretty similar) bass sounds from many players, like Chris Squire, Greg Lake etc...

Big 2nd to the Stanley Clarke/Return To Forever/Romantic Warrior mention earlier..about the most powerful upright acoustic i've heard...

Me'Shell - Peace Beyond Passion...the way funk/soul bass players really should write songs ;-)

Tony Levin-pick any 80's/90's King Crimson i guess...more for the playing style than the sound to me...

great more modern sound on the 1st Rage album...of course, every sound on that album is great...

and on an even brighter note, i like Primus Frizzle Fry as his/their best, both sonically and musically...

for the biggest, fattest, roundest sound i can remember (or was it just the band), allow me to travel back to the days of BTO..thinking specifically of "Rock is My Life, and This is My Song"...

Well, I wouldn't rate the whole CD as great, but Les Claypool on "Toys" from the "Sausage" CD is terrific. The way he plays the line with the E string detuned way down and controls the bend, the nasty sound he grinds out of that thing, man that's a great track!

Hi everyone - just wandered on in here .... great forum, great thread - cool to hang out with a bunch of bass junkies. As far as upright players go, how about Gary Peacock - list of records too long to mention, but "Changes" with Keith Jarrett & Jack DeJohnette comes to mind, plus early stuff with Paul Bley. Killer.

Joni Mitchell's "Hejira" w/ Jaco

Michael Viscaglia on Suzanne Vega's "Day's of Open Hand"

Charlie Haden on Scofeild's "Time on My Hands"

Mike Rivard on Jonatha Brooke's "10 cent Wings"

Victor Krause on Lyle Lovett's "Step Inside This House"

Drew Gress on Fred Hersch's discs

STP's Bass player (can't think of his name or any tunes)

I really love players that "play the music" instead of doing the chops thing.

1000's of others

Keep up the great forum!

Tony

Hi everyone - just wandered on in here .... great forum, great thread - cool to hang out with a bunch of bass junkies. As far as upright players go, how about Gary Peacock - list of records too long to mention, but "Changes" with Keith Jarrett & Jack DeJohnette comes to mind, plus early stuff with Paul Bley. Killer.

Joni Mitchell's "Hejira" w/ Jaco

Michael Viscaglia on Suzanne Vega's "Day's of Open Hand"

Charlie Haden on Scofeild's "Time on My Hands"

Mike Rivard on Jonatha Brooke's "10 cent Wings"

Victor Krause on Lyle Lovett's "Step Inside This House"

Drew Gress on Fred Hersch's discs

STP's Bass player (can't think of his name or any tunes)

Dave Holland - some mind boggling shit, can play really beautiful also - on Kenny Wheeler's "Gnu High"

I really love players that "play the music" instead of doing the chops thing.

1000's of others

Keep up the great forum!

Tony

I agree about Mike Rivard, he's a great tasteful player that always manages to come up with something unique for a track. Check him out on the CDs by The Story (Jonatha Brooke's first band). He and Ben Wittman on drums are a great team. They are both old friends from Boston. Ben is the most fluid and flexible drummer I've met. Totally ambi-dexterous. This guy can do rolls on the bass drum with one foot! (Unfortunately he would sometimes do that!) I did a Bass Notes story on him for BP a little while back. "Micro" is also a big supporter of "outsider music".

Mike's band "Club D'Elf" is releasing a live CD any day.

Notes From The Underground"" by Medeski Martin & Wood. Chris Wood does an absolutely insane arco solo on "Rebirth".

Check out Chris Wood on John Scofield's "A Go Go" for a completely different persona on an unbelievably rich-sounding Hofner.

Shadows & Light by Joni Mitchell. My favorite work of Jaco's. (Playing way too busy never sounded more musical -- try as we might.)

Tower of Power: East Bay Grease. The unique Prestia/Garibaldi chemistry in super raw & energetic form.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Re: The Jackson 5. Although James Jamerson did play on a lot of the early Jackson 5 stuff, many of the songs that were cut in Los Angeles, like "I Want You Back", "ABC", "The Love You Save", and "I'll Be There", the bass parts were played by Wilton Felder of The Crusaders, who is no slouch in the bottom end department. Check out any of the 70's Crusaders albums and Jimmy Smith's "Root Down" album. Other bass players are amazing: Louis Johnson, Stanley Clarke, Joe Osborn, David Hood, Mark Adams, and Chuck Rainey.

Larry Graham did make his mark with Sly And The Family Stone, then went on to lead Graham Central Station, one of my favorite bands of all time. It wasn't just because of larry's groovy bass lines, the tunes were happening (in a sort of cheesy 70's way). The lyrics are very spiritual and uplifting gospel stuff, the grooves are monstrous, the vocals are great and the bass playing is....well...it's Larry Graham!

Their first CD "Graham Central Station" has a cut on it called "Hair" which is the National Anthem of Funk! In 1974 whenit came out, Marcus Miller was a sophomore at the High School of Music and Art in NY (I was a freshman there) and that was what he listened to to learn how to play. Listen to anyone do funk in "E" and you will hear the roots go back to this cut. Check it out.

As far as Larry playing with the Jackson 5, well, I've never heard of it, but I may have missed it (doubtful) Anyone have the definitive word on that?

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived