Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scoring for Film , TV and Multimedia

Hi Forumites.

Just joined here and i must say, it looks cool.

I like the fact that people bother to reply to posts!

Wondered if any body was interested in this new topic?

:idea:

It's preeetty much an open topic but i'm looking for it to be full of practical advice and tips for people who (like myself) are just getting started in the industry. so here are a few starters for ten.

1. Favorite piece of film score (the obligatory question!)

2. Agents?-waste of time or a good thang?

3. What equipment r u working with?(sorry, a real techy question)

4. How did you break into scoring for film, tv, MM etc?

5. Any good advice on the internet for promoting yourself?

6. Anything else you wanted say????

So, in the spirit of getting things of the ground....here goes.

1. @ the moment, Hans Zimmer's score to Pirates1

(especially the hit points in the sword fight between Johnnie and Orlando)

2. Personally i wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole until i knew the business better and had better kudos to negotiate with.

3. Cubase SX3 on PC, Emu 1820m, shed loads of plug-in's along with Absynth, The Grand, Hypersonic2, East-West Symphony Orchestra2 Silver and more besides.

4. Just looked out for inde films in pre-production @ uni and online and did 1 or 2 for free (screen credit)

5. You might want to check out www.zoetrope.com as it's choc full of creative people within the film idustry who'll review your stuff. Or you might not!

6. Also in the spirit of being practical, if you email me at whitefoxdown@hotmail.co.uk, i can let you have composing contracts for film and game compositions - both package and non-package deals.

Sorry it's a bit long but, hey, let's get the ball rollin'.

Cheers.

www.freewebtown.com/m2oruss

MY MONKEY!...MY MONKEY!...SOMEONE STOLE MY MONKEY!!!!!

Russ Johnson

Composer

• 1 month later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Russ

great intro and interesting topic

shame its hard to get people firing on the songwriting site...

hope its not too late to keep you interested...Ive tried to get people excited to post some threads like yours

Ill try to answer your questionaire

1. Favorite piece of film score (the obligatory question!)

hard one...too many to remember

of recent I too can think of pirates.

2. Agents?-waste of time or a good thang?

from my performing aspect...a necessary evil...god stories I can tell about agents...and Ive only had small hiccups compared to my other muso buddies but I will admit they were the beligerant type of musos...tee hee

as for agents for compositional reasons....havent got that far yet

3. What equipment r u working with?(sorry, a real techy question)

Roland VS2480,heaps of dedicated sequencers..Akai ASQ10,Kawai K5000W and K5000s ,Kursweil K1000,Alesis Quadrasynth,Casio Privia piano,and heaps more but no computer recording.....cant stand the unreliability that used to be computers so stayed dedicated hardware.

4. How did you break into scoring for film, tv, MM etc?

didnt but trying to keep this thread going...comeon others dig in here.

but I write heaps of originals...probably around 50 at least

5. Any good advice on the internet for promoting yourself?

no...sorry

there are more knowledgeable people that can offer this advice

6. Anything else you wanted say????

russ hope you may contribute more in the future

cheers from russell

yes another russ

Ive always wanted to break into occasional theme scoring too in someway but can only assume it is an area where you probabbly have to be in the realms of ochestral quality musicians and be well known in those circles.

Just as a chance I put a demo song together once when a film was being made and sent it to the production people..and it came back 18 months later..unopened from their solicitors........ so I gave up trying that approach..

My opinion is that you probably need to know someone with some influence.

Maybe Im wrong,,, what do I know.

I wouldnt give up though....

Regds

Len

• 9 months later...

My opinion is that you probably need to know someone with some influence.

"the right place, at the right time," as they say, but you have to be right too! And don't over sell!!!!

My 2¢:

See if there is an industry magazine or resource. There just might be a reference guide that you have to get in (who knows, pay for audition or send expensive excellent samples?) but it probably is an 'in crowd,' just makes sense in a logical way.

Wish ya' the best

Teo

;)

5 Music Books: http://givnology.ca

1. 28 days/weeks later currently... anything Godspeed You Black Emperor! does.

2. dunno, haven't made a cent for doing anything for film.

3. roland jv2080 synthmodule with orchestral expansion card. some various guitars and basses in my apartment. Presonus Firebox --> Cubase LE

4. i haven't really broken in. classical composing is a side phenomenon that happens. i don't have any classical background or any real knowledge on how to arrange things orchestrally for film. just check out the prelude on myspace to see for yourself.

5. get myspace. make short films that fit into compositions of yours or vice versa and put them on youtube. know other musicians and artists who have similar tastes.

6. if you have soulseek download from me Richard Davis' guide to film scoring. my user name is SuperJupiter

Archived