Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

internet a replacement for local songwriters groups?

Eric VB

Well, my little poll on local songwriters associations didn't seem to get very far. Is that because the internet has become a better outlet for the kinds of things the local groups used to provide?

Other than this place, what places on the internet do you visit to bounce your song ideas off of others and generally build your songwriting skills? Or is everyone here already BMI/ASCAP/SESAC members?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking for the same thing online for quite a while. Mostly I've found some useful references to studying techniques of composition and a horde of stuff on mixing. What I've been unable to find is help with methods of composition. The former is stuff like harmonization and song structure. The latter is how to take a theme from a brainstorm and develop it into a piece by helping with the creative process. I include in that brainstorming techniques, workflow management, and thematic development. The most I've ever found along those lines are random comments. I suspect that what I'm really looking for is a practicing professional who teaches, not a forum :)

So, I really haven't found much help with composing in general. However, if you haven't looked at it, try http://www.justplainfolks.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

There's some worthwhile stuff there, including online local songwriters associations.

If you find any others, please pass them along!

Kawai GS-40 grand & other keys

As a former VP of the Pittsburgh Songwriters Association and a member of several industry groups, let me say that there is nothing like person to person networking. What we do on these forums relates to working together in person pretty much the same as internet sex relates to real sex.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Still hangin' with the PSA, Bill?Or have you moved on?

I haven't been with PSA for a long time, but it was more that they moved on from me. They moved to a different town, split into two factions, got all political on each other in a seventh grade way.... I just can't see the point. But at one time, it was a vibrant and exciting place to go. Might be again now. I haven't been around them for a couple of years.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived