Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help writing lyrics for complicated music!

Hi Everybody! :wave: I need help!! I have a song that i wrote with complicated guitar parts interacting with the drums. I write the lyrics and melodies for our band, but i am not the singer! I just play guitar! So with a song with more complicated changes and rhythms should i make the melody complicated to match, or should i back off and keep it simple? HELP? :eek:
I will feed your children to the donkeys living in my block of pepper jack cheese!!!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer is in the singers' abilities. Just how good is the singer?? Would they understand the complication of the interplay between the guitar and drums enough to help express the piece??

Usually, ( there are always exceptions...), I would write the piece with a couple of different approaches, have the band learn the music and the interplays, get the singer to PRACTICE, and see what is best through the politics of the band.

I have had quite a few songs that I thought were fantastic with sharp lyrics and cool music become instumental jams all because of the singer in the band. Now, that does not mean that the piece should just sit and rot, and that you should be happy with the outcome. There are options!!!! You can pull the piece all together and not introduce it for now, or any number of different things. You as the writer have the ultimate control over what goes on my friend. Please let me know what you decide when the time comes.

And as always...remember...This is just my road weary opinion.

I think it depends on your intentions. If you're trying to reach a mainstream audience then I think you'd be on the right track simplifying the melody and lyrics if possible. I try to write for a mainstream audience, and the busier the music is, the simpler I try to keep how much the listener has to concentrate on the lyrics and melody to get sucked into the song. I listen to Incubus's radio friendly stuff alot to give myself a good frame of reference for that sort of thing. If you're not trying to reach a mainstream audience, then I say write whatever feels right to you and make your singer learn it :freak:

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

If I were you I'd write the melody very close to your complicated rhythms but not to every single note; especially if your rhythm is "complicated". It also depends if you want it to sound commercial. If its commercial then you could keep it a little simple, but mostly clear. Let the music guide you and try different melodies until it fits to your satisfaction.

Good Luck

dues

I'd suggest finding the most simple guitar sections, and add the vocals there. Too much stuff at once, can sometimes sound really cool, but its very difficult to pull off, and if done incorrectly can make your song sound like fourth graders trying to play a Mozart symphony.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by TelebenderX:

...have a song that i wrote with complicated guitar parts interacting with the drums. I write the lyrics and melodies for our band, but i am not the singer! I just play guitar! So with a song with more complicated changes and rhythms should i make the melody complicated to match, or should i back off and keep it simple? HELP? :eek:

Sound sto me as if you wrote a backing track, with no melody, and no story. Usually I write backing tracks to support a melody, and lyrics (and possinbly melody issues...) to support the story. Sit back and listen to the piece, and see if a melody presents iteself.

Next, you need to know what story you are trying to tell. Once you have a melody and a story to tell, it should all fall together. If the story requires complication to make it's point, you'll probably naturally write it that way.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I don't think there's any One best way to write a song. Do what feels natural. Don't force the music. There's nothing worse than a song that sounds contrived. You may have to hold off on bringing the song to the band for a while so you can reevaluate it.

Archived