Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chord Suggestions?

shniggens

Writers block.

I am working on a song with my band that uses this basic chord progression for the verse:

G . . . F . . . Bb. . . G . . .

/ / / / |/ / / /|/ / / /|/ / / /| - Verse

This is the progression for 1 phrase. We play 4 phrases before going into the chorus:

C . . . D . . . G . D/F# Em . .

/ / / / |/ / / /|/ / / /|/ / / /| - Chorus

I like both progressions, but I don't like the way the verse abruptly jumps into the chorus. Although I know that going from G to C is a natural movement, I would like to go somewhere else on that last measure before the chorus. Any suggestions?

This is a pretty up beat rock song.

Thanks.

Amateur Hack

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should really just sit down and try all the different chords you know. You'll know which is the "right" one when you hear it.

A good pre-chorus can do a LOT to a song...

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

There really are a ton of options, but here are a few from a piano player's point of view.

1 - for tension, play an F chord over a G bass for a beat or two to finish the last measure of the verse (I think its a G11)

2 - use passing tones, for example walk the bass down from G, F#, E, D -> C chord. There are plenty of other options to move you to the C.

3 - use a riff to break up the change

4 - write a 2 or 4 bar pre chorus to set the stage and make things more interesting

k

Kevin

I have NO idea what this is supposed to sound like.

I have NO idea how you're designating your slash marks.

So, therefore, I have NO idea what signature this is in, how fast it's to be played, or how you prefer to have it strummed.

So, I had to spend the last few days trying it out in every possible way I could think of.

And in all of them, you know what? I had absolutely NO problem with how the verse ends in G and jumps into the chorus in C! Except that it merely sounds like an extention of the verse. A G to C change is so common in structure and aesthetics, it flows naturally.

Suggestion? Perhaps you can re-designate your chorus to incorporate it into the verse, and create another chorus in a far different key?

And in the proccess, re-create the same dilemna ALL over again!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

a troll to dish out a little diatonic theory 101 which might help ya out here...

First, you're not changing keys in this song. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's an idea to think about. If this is an upbeat rock song, a key change in the chorus might help.

(Explanation in regards to the post before this: just because the first chord in the chorus is C doesn't mean the tune jumped into the key of C. It's still definitely in G minor with the chorus beginning as IV-V-I. The dead give away is the end of the chorus which has an Em which does not exist in C minor, the likely modulation. If you're talking C major, the jump from G minor to C major is significant and might be why the song sounds weird--this of course is dependent on what the voice/melody is doing here

The verse is clearly in G minor with the progression as I-VII-III-I)

Second, your transition into the chorus probably doesn't sound right because the G-C leap is a I-IV, which is dissonant unless it's resolved quickly. If you're playing each chord an equal amount of time, it's not really being resolved and probably is why it sounds weird. Throwing a V between the IV and I at the beginning of a musical idea probably isn't helping either.

Hope this helps.

Thanks much for all of the replies!! Good ideas . . .

I know I didn't give out much background as to the style of the song, but it's really pretty simple (elementary, perhaps) . . . straight 4/4 rock at approx. 120 bpm tempo, with most of the main rythm played on the piano.

DC_Jim, there is no Gm in the progression. You must have misread it . . . but I think that you have a lot of ideas, and I would like to hear more . . .

The chorus melody is mostly bouncing between F# and G, hence the reason I picked C as the first chord of the chorus (G resolves to C, etc., etc.). Then the end of the chorus walks down G, F#, E . . . thus the respective chords to finish the chorus out.

I would be interested in a key change on the chorus. What would be a good key to go to considering the melody notes? How could I modulate to the new key?

Again, I appreciate all the ideas! I know I didn't give you much foundation to work with, but hey, it's still fun right?

Amateur Hack

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the method that has always helped me:

1) Pick any chord progression you like.

2) On the down beat, play a "wrong note" with lots of emphasis... make it sound like you meant to play the wrong note.

3) Once the "new" mood of the song is established, change from a 4/4 rock time to a funk style (lots of rhythm guitar and a 4/4 drum beat that is shifted up or down by an 1/8th note).

It's impossible to know exactly the sound you want... but you know the only difference between rock and jazz is that Rockers play only the "right" notes... and jazzers play a "wrong" note and make it sound good.

:eek:

Originally posted by www.audio-recording-studio.net:

Here is the method that has always helped me:

1) Pick any chord progression you like.

2) On the down beat, play a "wrong note" with lots of emphasis... make it sound like you meant to play the wrong note.

3) Once the "new" mood of the song is established, change from a 4/4 rock time to a funk style (lots of rhythm guitar and a 4/4 drum beat that is shifted up or down by an 1/8th note).

It's impossible to know exactly the sound you want... but you know the only difference between rock and jazz is that Rockers play only the "right" notes... and jazzers play a "wrong" note and make it sound good.

:eek:

That is definately the most . . . umm . . . interesting advice that I've heard so far. I am going to try it when I get home from work.

Question - Am I supposed to think of the "wrong note" or just hit it spontaneously?

Amateur Hack

Instead of the G...go to, well, since we're in G, try going from the Bb (A#) to D# for two beats and resolving to D. Then on to the C. I dunno. It might not be right. But, don't make it too complicated.

The first progression you gave has a definite sixties vibe to it. (Think "Hello, I love you" by the Doors, or "All Day and All of the Night")

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Regarding your post DC JIM, I must say I disagree. The verse is not in G minor. It's in G major. The Bb and F chords are borrowed from chords from the parallel G minor mode. The rest of the song (the chorus) clearly indicates that the song is in G major.

Regarding the original topic, I agree with some of the others that it doesn't sound abrupt to me either going to C. However, the melody you're singing might be doing something that we're not able to here. One suggestion would be to remain on the Bb for the fourth measure and gradually get louder and louder until the chorus. Alternatively, depending on your melody notes, you might try an A7 chord. This would provide an inner voice melody of D (in the Bb chord) to C# (in the A7 chord) to C.

Have fun,

snoopypilot

Archived