Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A song I wrote

johnbegone

I just signed up here to ask a question in one of the other boards, but as a very much beginner song writer, figured I'd post a song of mine here for some criticsm.

It's an acoustic song I recorded in my basement one night with my INCREDIBLE PC mic (sarcasm noted). I don't really like the verses, but oh well. This isn't my first song, but it's about the only acoustic I've ever written. All the rest of my songs are punk :\

http://www.johnbegone-x.com/songs/escapade.mp3

Thanks for any comments/advice.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had a chance to listen to the tune...but, I'll offer some advice. Don't be apologetic if you're a punk rocker and find yourself writing acoustic stuff. The Muse is a very fickle girl, she'll visit you and give you inspiration for the oddest things. Don't fight it. She's playing with your head, but in a good way. Whatever she gives you, write it down...could even be a jingle for Papa John's Pizza. Stick with her long enough and she'll give you a whole bunch of stuff you do like. But don't toss anything out. Who's to say you'll be a washout punk rocker, and make a gazillion bucks in the acoustic style...or even advertising.

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yeah, you're punk allright. Shows in your playing style.

Let me back up Tedster with a story...

I know a guy who wanted to be a rock and roll singer. He has a tremendous voice. An EXCELLENT singing voice!

But, his voice is the kind not suited for rock and roll. More of a Jack Jones, Matt Monroe style of pipes. Nightclub/Vegas lounge sort.

I understand he does that sort of thing now. Haven't seen him for several years. So, is what you're doing what you WANT? Or, what you may seem suited for?

Don't know if that helps or not, but it's something to consider.

Oh, yes...I DID like the tune...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I'm more of a classical singer. I was "classically trained." I'm only 17, but have sung in some of the more elite large choirs (namely All-State two years). I don't think my voice is good for punk persay, but I think it's good for the melodic style punk that my band is playing. And I never said I was worried about writing acoustics, I like acoustics! I was just stating that it's my first one I've written myself. Only thing I wish I had was a higher voice range. I am by default a second bass (reallly low), but my range extends much farther then the average bass, so I am able to atleast attempt at singing most popular music. It just doesn't sound as good up there, and puts a strain on my voice which is no good. Oh well, I'll figure it out someday.

Oh, you've got it easy with the voice range thing, at least in the "What's popular today" mode.

I don't have a high range either. So, when I was growing up, in my first bands, who were the popular groups?

Led Zeppelin. Boston. Foreigner. Well, you get the idea...if you didn't sing like a girl, you were nothing. But now? Let's see...Eddie Vedder, and later, Scott Stapp have made it cool to sing like a male again! But more importantly, they've opened the door for you to sing any way you want! So, these guys tend to be in the baritone range...who says you can't sing rock and roll in whatever range you friggin' well please? I wish I had understood that years ago...I might have beaten Eddie Vedder at his own game ;):D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived