Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you know what you want?

Do you know what you want? Make your goals S.M.A.R.T. [b]S- Specific.[/b] Define exactly what you want to accomplish in detail. [b]M- Measureable.[/b] Decide how you will measure your progress and how you will know that you have achieved your goal. [b]A- Accountability.[/b] Make a full commitment to be personally responsible for achieving your goal. [b]R- Realistic and Relevant.[/b] Set goals that are ambitious but achievable. [b]T- Timeline.[/b] Create a clear timeline for the achievement of your goals. [i]"If you don’t know where you’re going, you won’t know when you get there" [/i] -Chinese Proverb Studies show that only 4% of people write their goals down, yet that 4% achieve them almost 100% of the time! Few people are clear about their priorities nor have they been taught how to set goals. Wishful thinking isn’t goal setting. Most musicians say they want to make a lot of money, but that alone won't cut it. For instance, if you want to make $100,000/year then you need to make $8333.33/month and $277.77/day. That's being specific. Here's an overview of the goal setting process: 1. Write out a 6 month goal 2. Write a 12 month goal, 24 month goal, 5 year goal, and 10 year goal 3. The 10 year goal is an ideal goal that you may never reach completely but is something you’re striving toward. Example: to be the most loving person you can be 4. Follow this with very specific short term goals: 1, 3, to 6 months 5. Balance these goals throughout these 6 basic categories: 1. High sense of self-esteem 2. Create good health, energy and vitality 3. Develop and maintain healthy, happy and loving relationships 4. Career and financial goals 5. Mental goals to increase your brain power: memory, reading outside your specialty, developing creativity 6. Spiritual goals Here's why I'm posting all of this information: I'm dying to see [b]good[/b] musicians succeed so we can bump Britney Spears and her contemporaries off the radio! :mad: Good luck! :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoa! A lot of what is right on. Why here & why now??? Great post, I stuck the thoughts into word so I can see and think about them later. Thanks....

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by Graham English: [b]Here's why I'm posting all of this information: I'm dying to see [b]good[/b] musicians succeed so we can bump Britney Spears and her contemporaries off the radio! :mad: Good luck! :D [/b][/quote]Would you say that is a 1mo, 3mo, 6mo, 12mo, 24mo, 5yr, or 10yr goal? Which of the 6 categories does it go in? :) Is this from Franklin-Covey? I've seen this before somewhere (not the part about Britney - well I've seen that too but not from Franklin-Covey). Maybe not - it seems widely adapted: http://www.siop.org/tip/TIPApr02/03rubin.htm Wow - your website is like a giant infomercial! Do you get a commission on all that stuff or some sort of advert fee? Freaky stuff.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

I know that part of the info I learned from "The Power Of Visualization" by Lee Pulos. It truly changed my life! There's a link to it on my [url=http://www.grahamenglish.com]home page[/url] Here's a common problem with musicians: We're artists and have our heads in the clouds a large amount of the time. We're very right brained. And that's good! But the right brain will only take you so far. The right brain creates beautiful ideas but it's the left brain that organizes those ideas for the public. I've seen so many talented musicians fail. Why? Their artistry blows me away and blows most of the music you hear on the radio away! But they remain unsuccessful. What most of the record execs have over the musicians is their left brain skills. When musicians become whole brained individuals, LOOK OUT! We're taking over :thu: If I sound like an infomercial, sorry. Like Tony Robbins, I just want to help ;)

I've gotta be honest with you: Sometimes I find myself enjoying listening to Britney...shhhhhhh! I only use her as an example because I've seen the heated debate about the quality of her music. And I don't want to imply that ALL music on the radio sucks. But when I listen to the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony, I always end up asking myself, "how far have we progressed?" Style and taste aside, ask yourself what the intention behind the music you're listening to is. Is it superficial or not? Music that makes money is important. I just hope there's some ethics involved. Music with the intention of getting laid is very important :D But selling sex can take twisted turns. It doesn't have to be twisted. I'm an advocate of an Integral Practice, or Integral Being. A non-fragmented life. Integral meaning the development of all lines and levels of being; Body, mind and Spirit. I have another site dedicated to the number one spokesman for an Integral approach, Ken Wilber. [url=http://www.theatmanproject.com]The Atman Project[/url] But the bottom line for this post is knowing exactly what you want. And that I can't judge. I've been auditioning guitar players A LOT lately and I ask them what they're looking for and what they want out of music. I get a lot of blank stares. And guess what they sound like! If nothing more, this post will help you gain the competitive edge in an audition when Britney's manager asks you about yourself. You'll blow him away with your laser sharp focus! Peace :cool:

[quote]Originally posted by Graham English: [b] I've been auditioning guitar players A LOT lately and I ask them what they're looking for and what they want out of music. I get a lot of blank stares. [/b][/quote]I was asked that question once by a band I was auditioning for. My answer was, "I cant help it. I [i]have[/i] to play. I am compelled. If Im not doing it, then Im miserable from the void." They must of liked that answer....I got the gig.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

You're on. It's been printed, and it will be hung up on the wall here, shortly. I'm in one of those moods. I've had it in my mind to start moving a very specific dream into a goal, lately, and this just kind of kicked me in the butt a bit. Signs all around in the universe have been pointing favorably to it, and this kinda helps. In the summer of '97 I set a goal to relocate. I did it successfully the following summer. Last year, I stated three goals to my then-girlfriend, now fiancee'; all three were realized within the calendar year. Other than those two episodes, I've never really used goal-setting and focus such as has been presented here; I think (for me) the track record speaks for itself. Looking forward to the results.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

True, the problem is we're not taught these ideas as children. By the time most musicians/artists figure "it" out it's time to, "Get a day job", "Settle down", "Grow up", Get serious about your life", etc. Hopefully this info will spread like a chain e-mail. I have it in my internet folder and will send it out peroidcally. Good lookin' out Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived