Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ProTools 5.1.1 Question

Hi folks, This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask :) I've been asked to finish mixing a home recording done on ProTools 5.1.1 for Windows. The guy who did the recording isn't available to mix it so I dumped everything to CD, grabbed the ProTools install disk and installed it on my system at home. Here's the problem: I didn't feel like pulling his system apart to get the Digi 001 card and ProTools tells me that it won't run without it installed. I'm not doing any new recording for the project so I shouldn't really need the card, but maybe Digidesign use this as a "copy protection" scheme. Does anyone know how to set up ProTools without the card? Or do I need to open his system and get the card? Thanks in advance -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Curve, Isn't the card just the I/O component? Damn, I hope I don't have to rip his computer open to get the card, that would suck. It would be nice if they offered a "mixing suite" mode, but I guess there's not much call for that. Damn, I don't like the way this is going :( -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

G'day Nursers, The recordings are 7 tracks each, so ProTools Free is an option. But, he has already started to do some of the work so I need to maintain the plugins. So far the only plugins in use are the 4 band EQ, compression, stereo DVerb and Trim. Do you know if PT Free include those? Also, if I do the mixing in PT Free, will he still be able to access them after I dump them back into his computer? -- Rob

[quote][b]Senior Member Member # 17245 posted 04-22-2002 01:39 AM                       ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hey Curve, Isn't the card just the I/O component? Damn, I hope I don't have to rip his computer open to get the card, that would suck. It would be nice if they offered a "mixing suite" mode, but I guess there's not much call for that. Damn, I don't like the way this is going -- Rob[/b][/quote]Rob, No, the break-out box is the I/O component. The card has a lightpipe I/O, however, so it does act as a I/O in that capacity. The card is the expansion of the host system. It makes 32-bit floating-point internal processing math possible, which is exclusive to PTLE. But it's not free or easy. ProTools is not a cheap date. You must rip dude's computer open and get the card, and install it in the PCI slot of your computer. Don't bitch. Make like Nike, and Just Do It. It's not that hard. If an attention deficit-addled whacko like The Curve can do it, you can. Just be careful not to zap the card with static electricity. You can buy a glove from Radio Shack for that. Maybe consider springing $900 for the Digi 001. You get the card, the breakout box, some kewl plug-inz, the software...It's worth it. Take it from an old-skool analog hold-out. PT is ill. Cross-platform compatibility with the pro-media world-wide.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Hey Curve, thanks for the explanation. I [b]was[/b] kinda hoping it would be simpler than that :) I'm not to worried about the actual removal and reinstallation of the card - I'm very computer literate in that sense. I've built all my computers from scratch, never had anyone else assemble them. I prefer to be on a first name basis with my hardware :) Spending the $900 is seriously out of the question for me - I'm unemployed and just barely managing car and Visa payments. Besides, my gig is usually live sound, buying ProTools just so I can mix a home recording without having any further use for it would be suicide. Aew, no D Verb, eh? That sucks. Thanks for the info. -- Rob

Before you take the card out, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBER. I remember I added a second hard drive on my system the night before a recording session and I moved the Digi card to a different slot in the PC in the process. When I got my computer to the session, Pro Tools acted as if I just installed it and asked for the serial number. I would bet you'd get the same installing to a new computer. Unfortunately the S/N was at home, 30 minutes away. Of course, Digi support wasn't available so I wasted an hour of everyone's time. I originally bought the 5.01 version and mine came with D-Verb. I updated to 5.1.1 afterwards. I think I needed the floppy to enable it so make sure you get that, too. BTW, not that it would make much of a difference to you, PTLE now sells for $799.99.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

So the story ends like this: I went and got the card and box (and the S/N), brought them home and installed them in my system - only to find out that my CPU can't keep up. Sigh. That'll teach me to try and be helpful. -- Rob

PT, sigh... You know one of the most funnest of all times I had with PT was getting it to work on a 5 years old computer with 128mg ram. Talk about pulling my hair out. But the good news is I made enough off a small recording contract to buy a new Dell 8200 with 2gig of ram :) I'm sitting pretty now. That thing is flying. Not to mention you can leave the nic drivers installed so I have it hooked up to a network server to store all my files. So long as I have DSL or faster I can record to my server anywhere in the country. Cooooool.... later all PD :rolleyes:

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b] Maybe consider springing $900 for the Digi 001. [/b][/quote]Man I hope you didn't pay $900.00US for an 001!!! If you did you got major ripped off. You can get new for around $750, and used from e-may, digibid.com and the Digidesign User Conference buy and sell page for much less. To affirm the answers, yes you need to install the PCI card and attach the breakout box, they oerate as one unit, and PTle will not launch without it. You will need the serial number, located inside the "Getting Started wtih 001" manual. I also strongly suggest you have a second (slave) drive of at least 40gb for PT folders (applications only on master drive), set up a specific set of extensions for running only a base set plus PT, OMS and DAE. Allocate extra ram (as much as you can spare) to both PT and DAE. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

[quote]Originally posted by [url=http://www.prometheus-design.com:]www.prometheus-design.com:[/url] [b]PT, sigh... You know one of the most funnest of all times I had with PT was getting it to work on a 5 years old computer with 128mg ram. Talk about pulling my hair out. But the good news is I made enough off a small recording contract to buy a new Dell 8200 with 2gig of ram :) I'm sitting pretty now. That thing is flying. Not to mention you can leave the nic drivers installed so I have it hooked up to a network server to store all my files. So long as I have DSL or faster I can record to my server anywhere in the country. Cooooool.... later all PD :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]I hope you have some kind of firewall with access lists between your server and the Internet. Otherwise, anyone can record to your server anywhere in the country. :eek:

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived