Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RUSH Vapor Trails in Stores 5-14-02

OK... Sorry in advance... BUT! My age old fave band. Geddy's solo album ( which was damn good) got raped by MP3 pirates, so I thought, wtf post in some blue-blood industry forum and get people to BUY the new RUSH album, so they don't get so pissed off they do not tour... If you don't like RUSH, don't listen, cause they have not changed much, but I think this is one the THE most historically underrated bands in Rock history... Nuff Said!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rumours are they are going to hit Rio in January. It will be nice to catch them live again.. the last time was in 95.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Several songs (or at least lengthy clips of songs) are already floating around out there in cyberspace. A buddy emailed some to me. Good stuff...good guitars from what I can tell. :thu: My brother told me that he heard a recent interview where Geddy expressed his concern over getting screwed out of $$$ by the mp3 sites, etc. I'm not sure I understand this cuz most Rush fans are REALLY Rush fans. Personally, even if I was able to download the entire album (which I'm sure I'd eventually be able to do) I'd still buy it because I'm a HUGE fan. Most fans I know feel the same way. I guess if any money was lost, it'd be to "fringe" fans, but I don't think there are any of those left at this point. Rush fans buy Rush albums; I doubt the kids listening to Nickelback are likely to say "wow, listen to THAT song...Rush? Who's that? I'll go buy it!" Hmmmm.I guess I just have trouble understanding that there are people in the world actually LESS ethical than me :)
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]I always hear people speaking of Rush and Yes as similar bands, which I don't see. I was a fan of the earlier Yes stuff but never got into Rush. Do Rush fans see the similarity there and are you also Yes fans?[/b][/quote]I think they both get lumped in as "progressive rock" or whatever. To me, Rush is a rock band with progressive tendancies where Yes is more of a straight progressive band. It's rare that Yes rocks (except for maybe the Trevor Rabin encarnation), but I AM still a fan...I think it's good music.
None more black.

RUSH fan since 1978, Yes fan since ... wait a minute, I've never been a Yes fan. So I guess that's a "No" for Yes. Rog, I actually like Nickelback, but I don't think I'm their core audience - too old, too fat, too bald :wave: -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]I always hear people speaking of Rush and Yes as similar bands, which I don't see. I was a fan of the earlier Yes stuff but never got into Rush. Do Rush fans see the similarity there and are you also Yes fans?[/b][/quote]I like both, but I think the only similarity is the complex harmonies, odd time signatures, and stuff like that. Musically I think they are mile aparts. The only problem with them live is Geddy Lee's voice tends to break up once in a while during the concert. And you though his vocals were bad in the albums? ;) :cool: Rush fan since '86 :D

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Well, strangely enough I just went to lunch with a Rush fan buddy of mine (he's actually more of a Yes/Genesis freak but he's a keyboard player...I guess that figures) and he handed me a CD. He'd downloaded the entire new Rush album and burned it for me. How illegal is it for me to have accepted it...I simply couldn't turn down a chance to hear it early. Of course, I'll still buy it the first day I can...
None more black.

That's the distinction right there. Rush doesn't have many keyboards to speak of, do they? Yes has lots of synth/keyboard in their music. Rush is basically a power trio with progressive tendencies, Yes is a full blown progressive rock band. I never would have related the two myself.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]That's the distinction right there. Rush doesn't have many keyboards to speak of, do they? Yes has lots of synth/keyboard in their music. Rush is basically a power trio with progressive tendencies, Yes is a full blown progressive rock band. I never would have related the two myself.[/b][/quote]Rush had their kinda "keyboardy" period, but they were used pretty much texturally...there are no virtuoso keyboard performances on any Rush album. Yes, on the other hand, is loaded with lotsa complicated keyboard stuff. I never really lumped the two bands together either...they're both good in their own way to me.
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]That's the distinction right there. Rush doesn't have many keyboards to speak of, do they? Yes has lots of synth/keyboard in their music. Rush is basically a power trio with progressive tendencies, Yes is a full blown progressive rock band. I never would have related the two myself.[/b][/quote]The similarities between Rush and Yes would be more during the '70s Prog period, not the more recent stuff. Both Chris Squire and Geddy Lee played Rickenbaker basses. Neil Peart and Bill Bruford were, and are still considered iconic drummers with very unique styles. Alex Lifeson and Steve Howe were never very similar. Howe was far more ecclectic. Lifeson has always been more of the glue that holds Peart and Lee together. Stylistically, if you listen to Starship Trooper, or Southside of the Sky, and compare it to Rush's stuff like Xanadu or Hemispheres, I think you'll see why fans of one band are often fans of the other. I LOVED Rush right up till the '90s. Since then I just haven't been able to get into the stuff they've been releasing -though I thought Driven was a breath of fresh air. It just seems like they stopped innovating in their music, and their instrumentals sound totally tacked on. "Where's My Thing" - "Leave That Thing Alone". What the hell is that!?!?!? What happend to La Villa Strangiato????? The live verson of that on Exit Stage Left, now there was a song! Ah the memories! :cry:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Yes and RUSH always seemed to be lumped together, but other than playing in non-4/4 times and trying to be a bit more outside the norm, I saw nearly no similarity in their tunes. I'd actually have to say that most YES stuff is far more complex, but not necessarily better. My fave Yes period was 90125/Big Generator, but after that, I lost interest.... I have to admit that Rush is sounding 'samey' to me, but Geddy Lee is the reason I started playing Bass, so I always get there new release.... If you have not seen Rush live, it is worth it. I have seen then just under 10 times, and most shows were pretty good, but again, not a lot of live deviation. And...I too yanked a couple tunes off Morpheus, but I will buy the CD, and I bought Ged's Solo effort as well....My personal thoughts on Morpheus and sharing are that, yes, there is a potential for lost revenue, but since I only buy at CD store that let me listen before, I don't buy a lot of CD's I regret. The MP3 sharing thing has probably made me buy more CD's, because I have heard some stuff that I never dream of trying to find, and then went out and bought the CD. Double edged sword I guess... The tour dates have been announced...http://www.rush.com/tourdates.html..I am betting the Toronto Show will be a blowout...

hey you guys, thanks for making that clearer to me, especially Super 8 for pointing out the similarities in the bass and drums area. Hey I might even listen to some Rush now. I just don't like those high whiny vocals though, and that's why I never got into Zeppelin that much. Robert Plant started that whole thing.

Although Lee is no virtuoso by any means, I have found his keyboard work to be amongst my favorite. Particularly Power Windows & Hold Your Fire - Poor Alex got lost in there! I guess the reason is that many 'virtuoso' players (Wakeman, Emerson) seem to treat keyboards like pianos or organs, whereas I've always appreciated guys who approached them from a different angle (Lee, Banks) I downloaded the entire new album, and will purchase it the day it comes out. I wish the band all the success they deserve, but I'm afraid a lot of their new music just isn't speaking to me. I'll give it time to win me over, though. Lee vocal sound (like most today) is just squeezed to death and it just doesn't seem flattering for his voice. I thought he sounded best on the Live 'A Show of Hands' Does anyone notice that Geddy Lee's 70's voice/scream sounds a lot like Gwen Stefani? Cool! No Doubt should do a cover tune! :D Dembones

I haven't heard the new cd, or mp3's. BUT.... I'm not interested in the thought of it at all. I've got a number of 90's era Rush cd's that I listened to one time; they were no worth the money. They had nothing to do with what I liked about Rush. Where Geddy and Neil got the idea they needed to write pop songs from must be a very weird space. Regardless - if I hear the mp3's and I feel the need to purchase it, I will. At this point I'm not motivated to do either, but from their standpoint I'm not likely to hear it at all unless it's an mp3; an mp3 in this case may make them a cd sale. If I want to hear it more than just for a passing glance, I'll buy it. As it stands now, I look at it like they owe me for ... Geez, I can't even remember the names of the cd's now, a red one, a blue one... at least 3 cds. Oh well.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived