Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music chatroom

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right here, Swifty... Well, you're right, technically it's not a chatroom...which means you don't get instantaneous responses...but, it also means you don't get: BIGPECKER1009:> I've got a big woody. Any horny ladies out there? Audiophile22:> This is a music chatroom, dude BIGPECKER1009:> Up your ass buddy, I'm 14, I know what's cool Audiophile22:> So, folks, my current project is on the skids. I need a new condenser, what do you recommend? BIGPECKER1009:> I've got your whatever you said right here. WHat's a condenser? The above scenario is a common problem with chatrooms. I like this better. Not that we're immune to the occasional troll, but it's rare, and you get well thought out responses, for the most part.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Right here, Swifty... Well, you're right, technically it's not a chatroom...which means you don't get instantaneous responses...but, it also means you don't get: BIGPECKER1009:> I've got a big woody. Any horny ladies out there? Audiophile22:> This is a music chatroom, dude BIGPECKER1009:> Up your ass buddy, I'm 14, I know what's cool Audiophile22:> So, folks, my current project is on the skids. I need a new condenser, what do you recommend? BIGPECKER1009:> I've got your whatever you said right here. WHat's a condenser? The above scenario is a common problem with chatrooms. I like this better. Not that we're immune to the occasional troll, but it's rare, and you get well thought out responses, for the most part. [/b][/quote] I think you forgot the one guy in the room who has only one thing to say: KORNRULEZ:> KORN RULEZ ------------------ http://www.broadjam.com/artistprofile/artistindex.asp?artistID=936 or listen at... http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/294/mark_coming_project.html

...which reminds of a story, probably an urban legend, about someone who transcribed a conversation at an Alzheimer's patients' clinic, and also an AOL chat room, and amused himself by seeing if people could detect any significant difference.

Thanks Craig and Amadmozart. Good point Craig, i didn't intend it as an alternative though, just when you are surfing in the early hours of the morning and everyone you know is fast asleep dreaming happily and you'd like to have a word with someone about music and definitely want to avoid the "BIGPECKER1009:> I've got a big woody. Any horny ladies out there?" syndrome, i thought someone might recommend a chatroom which might be of interest. This forum here, your forum Craig, is the find of the year for me, and Musicplayer in general. I didn't intend diminishing that. Maybe it is better this way, as you said, you get usually well thought out answers - like the difference often between the letter and the spoken word - shame really that noone, or so few, write letters these days. I guess the forum is one of the last bastions in this regard. Terribly funny too the story of AOL chatrooms and Alzheimers. Terrible being the operative word. It makes me sad to see the direction we're going in. Soon there will be no more sanctuaries. I believe in music but only as a form of communication, to oneself and others, but when you look at the media you wonder "what others"? - They are all bloody crazy! Stay alive, my friends Swifty

Kind of a funny thing, as I've been in supposedly "locked" chatrooms, you know, only open to those with a specific interest, and the "BIGPECKER1009s" STILL manage to get in somehow. Fortunately, they usually leave after they see that there's nothing of interest to them, but still... Yeah, that AOL/Alzheimer's thing is weird, but I can see how it may happen.

We've thought of having a chat room on the site, especially now that some of the forums are getting to be almost real time in their interaction. I suggested that we charge something -- $5 a month or whatever -- not enough to cause financial pain to those who want to participate, but enough to keep out the riff-raff. I think there are three main reasons for the quality of messages that people keep citing on these forums: first, only registered members can post, which makes it more difficult to just post on a whim; and second, that we have moderators with delete buttons. It's not that we never get bogus posts here, it's just that I'm hopefully quick enough with the delete button that you don't get to see them . The third is that the "early adopters" of these forums evidenced a great deal of mutual respect. This set a tone which subsequent forum members learned to adopt.

Sounds like a good idea with the chatroom, Craig, by the looks of things it would be a resounding success, but the forum also has its upside too as i said in an earlier post, and if there was a chatroom here i would hazard a guess and say it would almost certainly usurp the forum - when people can get instant access they will tend towards that rather than waiting for replies, but maybe i am wrong the bunch who frequent here are a dedicated lot, i can see that and i've only been a few days here. As with everything plus and minuses tailgate.

I like forums better than chatrooms. No way would I enjoy trying to speed type thoughtful responses... Like it's been said, these forums are very close to real time. If you post a question that's relevant to a particular forum, you're likely to get a bunch of quality responses within 24 hours' time. I like the internet and I agree the pace of life has been sped up through things like the internet, but there's no music issue so pressing that I can't wait 24 hours to read a response. Just my 0.0002...

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b]Oh, and KORN RULEZ!!!!! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img][/b][/quote] KORN SUCKS!!!! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Your right Popmusic! It was an innocent original question in the early hours of the morning. The pace of life, as you said, is getting quicker, and therefore more superficial, a bit of patience is probably a good idea and as everyone has said a well thought-out answer is worth the wait and more valuable in the end. So i retract my question, craig. Swifty

Archived