Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So what do you think happens when we die?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Oh, I think a lot of people will allow for the possibility of aliens as well. I mean, it's an awful big universe. [/b][/quote]My point is that it's very.... pun intended "alienating" going to a church and seeing a roomful of people carry on about a concept they have no proof of; yet, take most of those people out of the room and tell them "hey you know, I think something weird could be going on with aliens and government" (*I* don't think that, I dunno), and they'll *all* laugh at you. Right? They're not going to laugh at the improbability of another civilisation having developed FTL travel, or some sort of way of "getting" here, but at the notion of the *existance* of such a thing, which I personally think is quite probable. Yet, in a church, there's a room full of people genuflecting to a non-corporeal entity they've never seen or touched before, and have no evidence of it's existence. "Faith" in this case appears eerily like mass insanity, OR group hypnosis based on whatever innate drives they have for being there (which these days has to do with business as much as any PERSONAL reason). Again, there's a lot of stuff that is *proven* that goes on at the quantum level that [i]the average person on the street would think you're a complete loon if you were to describe it to them[/i]. Particles that travel forwards and backwards in time. Particles that disappear from one location and appear at another without having passed through a middle spatial location. Quantum entanglement, TELEPORTATION. All sorts of wild and kooky sounding stuff that's REAL. But apparently not as "real" as belief in an afterlife. It would be very reassuring to have such a thing, and I understand the drive both purely psychologically speaking and chemically/physiologically speaking, but saying to yourself "this MUST be because of this anecdotal "evidence"" is something I can't wrap my suspension of disbelief around.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I think S_Gould is on to something. I remember when I was teenager, the distinct impression that, just before I went to sleep, I left my body and ascended above it. I eventually went through the roof and was circling the house before snapping back into my body. It was a very weird experience! Maybe I'm a "Frisbeeterian" and didn't even know it. nitecrawler :eek:
"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

[quote]Originally posted by TeeWay: [b]... A. Alford has written a few interessting books bout religions... Go to http://www.eridu.co.uk/ to find out more... [/b][/quote]Thanks, TeeWay, that's interesting. Worth investigating.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

[quote] Particles that travel forwards and backwards in time. Particles that disappear from one location and appear at another without having passed through a middle spatial location. Quantum entanglement, TELEPORTATION. All sorts of wild and kooky sounding stuff that's REAL. [/quote]Wow. Yeah, somebody asked me last night what religion I was, I didn't know what to say. "Uh, I was raised Lutheran, but I'm...gnostic...?" Which doesn't mean anything in particular, so it's a good answer. I'm digging all this Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory stuff. 'bout quantum physics, the Knights of Templar, and shapeshifting-lizard-beast 4th-dimensional beings who are trying to enslave mankind. It's all very exciting.

I hear people calling me quite often. Sometimes the voices sound so clear I even get up to check! Sometimes real live people do call me. I've learned not to trust my senses. One night in an a remote old house, built next to a forest I heard the cries of human babies when trying to go to sleep. Thought for sure it had to be the wind and ignored the sound. Next night the same. Didn't say anything to my roomates because I didn't want them to think I was crazy. Two more nights of babies crying and I asked if they heard the sound. They did too. That night we all heard the sound. Very creepy. We gathered our courage and a flashlight and found a nest of wild baby kittens behind the house. Spend some time with a paranoid schizophrenic during an episode. He/she will be experiencing unbelievable hallucinations. You won't be. You know things by the confirmation of other people. Anything that can't be confirmed, especially extraordinary experiences should be doubted. suggested reading: Language, Truth and Logic by Alfred Ayer

ahhh, nice to see some other Hitchhikers here, you know I actually think Douglas Adams had some interesting theories on this stuff and just diguised it in a very brilliant way so as not to alarm the masses...... hey thisDude I don't think we'll have to wait 4 million years for the question, the Bogons are due any moment now..... peace, natty [img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/fk/butterfly.gif[/img]

Archived