Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As part of my Mechanical Engineering degree I'd taken several courses in metallurgy from a very old professor. One day he introduced us to, HIS FATHER!! The guy was 93 years old and was going to show us how to make a chain from 5" steel rods using a hammer, anvil, and a manually-powered blast furnace. Didn't take him long, either, definitely a lost art and one I'm glad I got to at least watch in person!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I started as an art 3D major in college. I worked with a lot of mediums, metal being one. I love to cast stuff and make wrought iron frames for my stained glass windows. Made a 10' ornate chain for a chandelier once. I like metals cause they aren't "artsy fartsy." Only real men (and woman) work with hammers! Or so I like to think. PD :rolleyes:

You are so right Tedsteer. You amaze me with you're insights. O Brother was one of the first movies where I thought Clooney actually acted. I mean most of his other movies he was playing that same character that he played on ER just speaking different lines. Even The Perfect Storm where he did stretch a little bit, he still seemed like the doc on a fishing boat to me, but in O Brother there was real dramatic/comedic acting. Well sir we are negroes all exceptin' for our accompa-accompt-accompta-the fella that plays guI- tar.

[quote]Gopher? CMDN [/quote]Why yes, Cap'n Stubing... I'll see you on the Lido Deck. I loved [i]O Brother Where Art Thou?[/i]. In fact, I bought a copy. I definitely thought Clooney hit thet whole Gable/Bogart thing in this movie, but my favorite charcters in the whole flick were John Tuturro and John Goodman. Then again, those two are always amazing -- especially in [i]The Beig Lebowski[/i], which is an AMAZINGLY quotable Coen Bros. film as well.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

How's my hair?! I would buy this movie, but has anybody noticed the lack of extras on Coen brothers' DVDs? I hesitate to buy any DVD that isn't a "Special Edition" or Collectors Edition" because inevitably within a year they rerelease it as a 2 disc set :mad: (Almost Famous, Close Encounters, Independance Day just off the top of my head). And I would love to have Raising Arizona, Fargo, Lebowski, O Brother, or just about any of their other movies with full length director's commentary. As George said, "I don't want FOP, God damn it! I WANT Dapper Dan!"

[QUOTE Even The Perfect Storm where he did stretch a little bit, he still seemed like the doc on a fishing boat to me[/QB][/QUOTE] I've got to respect him for not trying to butcher a Boston (north shore) accent in that film. So many actors butcher that one. If you can't do it, don't.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]You are so right Tedsteer....[/b][/quote]I doubt I'll ever see the flick, but I spit the tea out of my mouth when you wrote "Tedsteer" around all those old west stuff... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 months later...

Archived