Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff, Tascam man could you peek at this?

I lost my transformer to the 414mkII portastudio. (the medium 4 track) It says to use tascam transformers only. Can I use radioshack ones? hehe Of course I'd have to match the specs. If not do you guys offer replacement ones? Anywho thanks for the help and fer the great (and easy to use) product. Dave

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by KikkyMonk: [b]I lost my transformer to the 414mkII portastudio. (the medium 4 track) It says to use tascam transformers only. Can I use radioshack ones? hehe[/b][/quote]Tell ya what...I'll talk to the head tech for Portastudios and get back to you. My feeling, unfortunately, is that the specific electronic requirement of that box may not be available from a Radio Shack transformer, so you may be stuck with ordering one from us. I'll get back to you, probably later today. - Jeff

Got it. Don't get the Radio Shack version...order it from us. It seems that even when the same voltage is listed on the transformer, these things are generally slightly tweaked to match the best performance of the unit. You will run into a good possibility of frying the internal electronics of your 414 if you use the non-TASCAM version. Call 323-726-0303 and ask for the Parts department, or send an email to CustSer@tascam.com. - Jeff

In general I've found that unregulated wall warts give up to 3V or more over their rated voltage when lightly loaded. In many cases you can get away with a regulated unit but with your expensive piece of equipment I'd be wary and heed Tascam Guy's advice. If anyone's interested, I've found from experience that Boss pedals work very nicely indeed off a regulated 12V supply, giving a much better signal to noise ratio than off a 9V battery. ;)
It's not a successful climb unless you enjoy the journey

I bought a really nice Sony cassette walkman with a built-in stereo mic that had outstanding recording sound for its size. We used to thether it on a nail from the rafters of the drummer's basement to record practice sessions. All things considered, it really did sound good, but I could never seem to play along with the recordings from the basement, but later, it was OK on recordings from the field. Somehow, we got the wrong voltage transformer and the tape drive must have been running a shade fast, which put us out of tune. On batteries, it was fine. Alas, it's in the bonepile with my old computers, patiently awaiting the Night of the Living Hard Drive.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived