Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dub of da mornin' begorragh

I have a new gig. I've been for years a paragon of culture playing bouzouki in local Irish Trad sessions. Now I've got a job playing my Strat on a reggae band (covers of Bob, Madness, Peter Tosh and even Bad Manners are on the set list.I might even be able to pack in my part time job selling rubbish to kids that can't afford it in the local music shop. Here come da Celtic Rastaman. :wave:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least one school of ethnomusicological thought suggests that Celtic music and African music share a lot because, according to this theory, the Celts came down through sub-Saharan Africa on their path that eventually led up through the Iberian peninsula and thence to the British islands.

If one looks at this supposed path of the Celts, one finds many similar and related instruments along the way, specifically various harps and bladder-bag reed instruments (pipes, laddy, pipes).

And, of course, that cross-polination started up again in the 19th century as the banjo, derived from instruments brought over by African slaves, helped inform what would later be called American traditional music and which was eventually adopted by Celtic musicians in the British Isles.

In fact, according to Wikipedia, the banjo itself has something of a more direct relation to your new musical endeavor:

The banjo is a stringed instrument, derived from the "banjar", a stringed instrument of Caribbean origins, sometimes called the "gourd banjo". The banjar, in turn was based on the African "akonting". Some etymologists derive it from a dialectal pronunciation of "bandore", though recent research suggests that it may come from a Senegambian term for the bamboo stick used for the instrument's neck.

Archived