Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you re-sell software?

I have Drumkit From Hell Superior. Bought it a week ago and I want to get rid of it. :( I can't return it to Americanmusical.com because they don't accept returns on software. Fair enough. But do I need to ask Toontrack if I can re-sell this or if I need to transfer over the serial number? Any suggestions or advice? Would ebay be the best place to re-sell this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder why some people don't hesitate to hoist the Jolly Roger?

There has to be some kind of revision of our notion of intellectual property rights. The conventional model has just as many flaws as the anarchy model.

I'd love to get ahold of a copy of Cool Edit Pro 1.O. Doesn't seem like I can get one anywhere. It seems odd that old, but perfectly usable software is somehow "illegal."

I get the idea that buying software doesn't make the program "mine" any more than buying a CD makes the songs thereon "mine." At the same time, nothing prevents me from reselling CDs.

I also recognize that reselling music CDs doesn't have the same impact in terms of percentage of total market compared to software sales, but still, something seems PFedU.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Wooden:

Its ridiculous...is there any good reason for software companies to not allow users to resell their software?

Too many people making cracks and then selling their licensed copy, I guess.

Nathan, it's probably not that big a deal to get permission. Just email them and ask, and see what they say. If you bother getting permission they'll probably be cool about it.

Originally posted by ryst:

I have Drumkit From Hell Superior. Bought it a week ago and I want to get rid of it.

Why do you want to get rid of it already?

The fact that they won't take it back if you don't like it is the best reason to download pirated copies of software. Try it THEN buy it.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

The fact that they won't take it back if you don't like it is the best reason to download pirated copies of software. Try it THEN buy it.

Yep, I always do that, mainly due to situations like this one. Well, that and I hate copy protection. Even after I buy software, if it has copy protection I just put my real copy away and actually run a cracked copy. It's sad.

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by ryst:

I have Drumkit From Hell Superior. Bought it a week ago and I want to get rid of it.

Why do you want to get rid of it already?

I've never actually used anything that was "cracked". Not due to any standards I hold myself to. Just never thought of it. I already have BFD but it was giving me all kinds of problems trying to trigger it from my drum machine. So I bought DFHS and Trigger Finger. Then I discovered that BFD works great w/ Trigger Finger. I was still gonna keep DFHS but the installation was a pain. I sent Toontrack 3 emails that they never replied to. I usually never want to return something I buy because I always think really hard before buying something. But in this case with the installation being such a pain which usually never happens, it left a bad taste in my mouth. It was my fault. I should have just bought Trigger Finger only and then I wouldn't have bought DFHS. I finally was able to get ahold of tech support so I am just gonna do my best to make it work.

DFH is not just software, it is a sample colleciton. Sample companies have even more problems than software companies. People by the CD, copy it, then sell it and continue to use the samples. That is why so many are turning to copyprotected players like the NI Kontakt engine.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived