Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another name for alt-country

I'm dense today. What's another name for alt-country music that also has a hyphen in it? Someone mentioned it last night but I can't remember what it was. Not 'alt' but some other term before the hyphen. You know, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, etc.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I'm dense today. What's another name for alt-country music that also has a hyphen in it? Someone mentioned it last night but I can't remember what it was. Not 'alt' but some other term before the hyphen. You know, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, etc.

Americana?

???-country. The question is what term is before the hyphen other than 'alt?' I can't think of what it was for the life of me and I can't find it by googling. Haha, I keep wanting to say "contra-country" but that's not it.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Most bands I know that fall in this "Alt-Country" label can't stand being labeled "Alt-country" There are some Cool bands in this arena right now. I like this new band the Ditty Bops. They call em Western-Swing, which is a better description. Cools bands but the name isn't very descript. I don't know an alternative though, perhaps NEO-CONtry. :P

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

NOOOOOOooooooo! I _said_ it contains the word 'country.' An adjective for the word 'country.' Not 'alt' but something else. Sheesh, you guys are denser than me today. ;)

Hell, I dunno, maybe the girl I heard say it made it up. But it sounded right.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Hell I don't know. I was stone cold sober. I have no brain left though. I think maybe it was counter-country. Or contra-country. Naw. Yeah, maybe. Screw it. Maybe I'll see this dame again. She acted like a music industry big cheeze. So, she probably didn't know what she was talking about and just meant 'alt-country.' Or scuze me, the de rigueur 'alt.country.'

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Um....Country and Western? :D

~~~~~~~

It's probably something like:

Neo-Country

New-Country

Country-Rock

Country-Beat

or something similar.

Archived