Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT...Reba can sing...Brad can play...

OK,

I've not seen her peform ever until Saturday evening.

We were fairly close, so the live mix was audible versus the way back seats.

She nailed every note, every nuance and for a woman of our age, she certainly carried the set way beyond the tepid talent of some other of Nashville's and CMT's more youthful stars de jour.

It was a privledge to see her perform.

And surprise to me...Brad Paisley can play the crap out of the Telecaster.

A few times he fauxed a bit of rock riff, as a tease but he flat pick plectrumed the living daylight out of the guitars...wow.

Terri Clark, came out during his set and started tossing bras and panties from a bag onto the stage... as a bit...it was very cool.

After the show, a couple of Reba's band members told me they definetly (paraphrased) had the top gig going because she's completly absorbed and focused on the show as a performer and if you can't be on, well...you get the picture.

Today's paper had a review of the Chesney, Wilson show at Staples and it sounds as if we saw a much better show by far...

Given that the youth is all rocked up now. calling it country because they have to, or kitsch Tits an Ass is burping up from Nashivlle's being joined at the hip with MTV's CMT of late... seeing Reba, Brad and Terri be just regular folks, with tremendous non production supported talents...was great.

This concert rivaled the Tower of Power set that Chuck Surack put on last summer in Fort Wayne.

FWIW

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to ask her if she did Broadway, as it was, I was fairly much...in respectful, wow, you sing from heart and thanks for having us here, hand shake and let her be.

Good thing I'm not always stupid enough to let it show.

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Glad you enjoyed the show, Rob!

We've seen several Reba concerts over the years. My favorite has to be when she had a custom, in the round stage. We were in the first row or the permanent seats at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium. (As opposed to the hideaway bleachers.) On the last song she stepped into what looked similar to a cherry-picker cage. A moment later the entire ramp became a crane arm, lifted her up exactly to out level, and set to spinning her slowly around a full 360°. As she went by, I could've touched her (with a good reach) had I leaned over the bars. ;)

She puts on a great show. But that was my favorite. It was surreal. My father-in-law loves Reba and her music and had invited us to the concert. :thu: Thanks, dad!

But I take issue with Where's contention that Brad Paisley is an underrated guitar player. It's been common knowledge in country circles ever since he first hit big that he was a monster of the telecaster.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Terri cut her teeth playing on lower Broadway in Nashville, and like most folks...couldn't get arrested for the better part of the period.

Johnny Hiland also played down there for a quite awhile.

That street is of course legendary, being the front across the ally from the Ryman and storied.

One cannot stay alive there playing-wise unless they have a depth of talent.

R

We'll Spady (Reba's bassist) had Brad's tech come out of the bus and discuss the (brand) Tele right angle cable which I had bought and brought for Brad and Terri.

We were not there for THAT reason but since Spady recently converted from Mogami, it was kind of cool talking shop with session guys...and sound tech's about what a skeptic he had been regarding the cable.

Honestly, I a,m still in a buzz from her (Reba's) set, she's simply amazing.

I saw here last summer listening to some writers at the Blue Bird Cafe and she was non-assuming then.

I believe she's the real deal all the way around.

R

I'm glad you liked the show. To each his own. I'm sure you wouldn't like some of the stuff I like. I would not pay ten cents to watch Reba McIntyre. God, she gets on my nerves. I love country music but I absolutely cannot take her. Worse is hearing her talk. Ugh. I know she's a wonderful person but man, she gets on my nerves. Gag.

Yep, Paisley, it's always been known he's a picker. Good voice, too.

I like Teri Clark, as well.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I guess it's that she's still managed to nail it at pushing 60, while many of her contemporaries, are straining to carry a tune these days, in a sense.

I expected a watered down version and personal taste is always...that.

Would I run and see her every time she hit town?

More then likely not and yes, she's never lost that dialect nuance...

If she passed out free boudine, maybee..(joke).

R

R

I've seen Terri Clark in concert, at Y'allapalooza here in KC a few summers ago. She can sing the ptailfeathers off a ptarmigan.

Brad Paisley is one mofo of a picker, too. I remember the first tune of his I heard on the radio, "Me Neither". Usually they "radio cut" extended solos out of songs, but thank God they left this one in. Blistering chops.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by where02190:

While sBrad is well respected in the Nashville/country world, no one outside of that knows of his amazing talents for the most part.

I agree. But that's the case for pretty much every country picker. You have to be a legend in country before the rest of the world pays any attention. And sometimes even that's not enough. :freak:

Originally posted by Tedster:

I've seen Terri Clark in concert, at Y'allapalooza here in KC a few summers ago...

LOL! When I worked the Terri Clark, Travis Tritt, Charlie Daniels, Hank Jr. show we (the crew) called it, "Bubba-palooza" :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

For me ...

When Reba is on, she's really on. There's quality on top of quality. But ... there's a place she goes to stylistically very often that to my ear is like someone stepping on the cats tail.

I did get to record Reba once ... Live at Universal Amphitheater for the "Country Rhythm & Blues" show that Don Was produced. I was in the Westwood One remote truck. I've got a recording of it .. Reba messed up and missed her spot to come in on "Heard It Through The Grape Vine" along with Gladys Knight, Clint Black and the Pointer Sisters.

I told Terry Clark one night at the Boardwalk Cafe in Nashville, that I had recently seen her Live with John Michael Montgomery & Richotte and somebody eles??? I wanted to congratulate her, for being the ONLY one who had "balls enough" to get up there and not lip sync !!!!! I thought her and her friends were going to fall over from laughing soooooo hard.

Yep Brad Paisley is definatly a gunslinger.

Here's my pic with him last year:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/60/60029/folders/194945/1581354BradPaisley.JPG

Russ

Cool picture...

You mean country artists lip synch?

Yikes...

[/b]Russ... I hate you.

I had no idea they produced a live show and recording based on the album, Rhythm, Country & Blues. :eek: That would've been fun.

Sad thing is, Reba and Natalie Cole's duet was the only shallow spot on that otherwise incredible album. They were the only pair who didn't record vocals together and it showed. It sounded like two divas trying to out belt one another with little thought to what was best for the song. Too bad for two great voices. :rolleyes::(

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I hate you too Neil.... not really. OK maybe I do .. ask me tomorrow.

Come over sometime and I'll "think" about giving you a copy ???

Reba sang duet's in the Live show with Natalie Cole on "Since I Fell For You." It was an incredible evening. Some of the artists were paired differently than on the Studio album, and a few of them are no longer with us.

One of the highlights of the evening was getting to record a duet with Trisha Yearwood & Bob Dylan. Trisha stood about 30 feet away from Bob (like I'm not standing anywhere near you). Bob ignored Kenny Ernoph's (sp??) count off, hell with it, you guys follow me !!! I was told to stop whatever I was doing durning sound check to do Dylan's sound check the minute he walked in, no matter who was on stage.

That night I became a Clint Black fan as this white boy could "hold his own" with the Pointer Sisters on "Chain Of Fools."

But the best performance went to Marty Stewart who did a great job covering "The Weight."

I got to go on Willie Nelson's bus after sound check .. yea buddy !!!

Hey Rob .. that pic of me and Brad was taken at a small show at "The Factory" in Franklin, TN. where a friend of mine opened the show for him. I met his dad & wife and even got phone numbers. Look closley in the pic .. Brad's got on an Eric Clapton T-shirt.

Russ

That's cool all the way around.

Thanks for the background.

R

Originally posted by russrags:

I hate you too Neil.... not really. OK maybe I do .. ask me tomorrow.

Come over sometime and I'll "think" about giving you a copy ???

Reba sang duet's in the Live show with Natalie Cole on "Since I Fell For You." It was an incredible evening. Some of the artists were paired differently than on the Studio album, and a few of them are no longer with us.

One of the highlights of the evening was getting to record a duet with Trisha Yearwood & Bob Dylan. Trisha stood about 30 feet away from Bob (like I'm not standing anywhere near you). Bob ignored Kenny Ernoph's (sp??) count off, hell with it, you guys follow me !!! I was told to stop whatever I was doing durning sound check to do Dylan's sound check the minute he walked in, no matter who was on stage.

That night I became a Clint Black fan as this white boy could "hold his own" with the Pointer Sisters on "Chain Of Fools."

But the best performance went to Marty Stewart who did a great job covering "The Weight."

I got to go on Willie Nelson's bus after sound check .. yea buddy !!!

Hey Rob .. that pic of me and Brad was taken at a small show at "The Factory" in Franklin, TN. where a friend of mine opened the show for him. I met his dad & wife and even got phone numbers. Look closley in the pic .. Brad's got on an Eric Clapton T-shirt.

Russ

Bastard... have to rub it in my face, eh? ;):D

That's wonderful. You highlighted several of my favorite pairings from the record. (Clint and The Pointer Sisters, Marty Stuart and The Staples Singers. Were the Staples there?)

Since I Fell For You was the same song Reba/Natalie hacked on the record. I sincerely hope they were better together, live on stage.

Of course, Conway Twitty died two weeks or so after they recorded his and Sam Moore's vocals in the studio and shot footage for what would be the last performance of Conway's life. The video is wonderful and heartbreaking all at once. :):( Did Sam sing Rainy Night In Georgia with someone else?

I have to ask if George Jones and B.B. King performed Patches. It's amazing on the recording!

Trisha was paired with Aaron Neville on the album on I Fall To Pieces :thu: Dylan wasn't on the album. What did they sing?

Oh, BTW - A buddy of mine is at the Factory this evening in his road gig working for Rascal Flatts. They had some kind of fan club appreciation party tonight. Have you been in the church in one of the adjoining, factory buildings? They kept a lot of the vibe of the original structure. I worked a gig there two years ago. What a great space for an event. (They didn't have permanent seats installed for maximum flexibility.)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey Fantastic,

Not to mean to take away from the original thread .. Reba WAS there.

Neither George Jones nor BB King were there.

Conway: Sam Moore did it solo "It's Only Make Believe," very touching.

Trisha and Aaron did sing together as well.

Bob Dylan/ Trisha Yearwood: "Tomorrow Night"

Staples Singers: Were with Marty Stwart "The Weight" Mavis Staples has a brillant new CD out now. 1st one in quite a few years. Got to record "Pops" that makes me smile.

That Rascall Flatts thing at the factory would have been cool. I REALLY love the band, but wish their Ld singer would cut out that Maria Carey crap during their live performances.

later,

Russ

Hey, I'm not a big fan of the band (though I'm Moving On is wonderful!) but they have been a class act to my buddy, and he's on the tour as a set carp. They've been great to work for, from everything he's told me.

I didn't mean to say Reba wasn't there. Only that they were the only ones on the album who didn't record vocals together and it showed, bigtime! I'm interested to hear if they tried to out-diva one another, live, as it appeared on the album cut.

I really wish I'd been at that concert. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil, I'm Moving On, that darn sure is a great song. Wow, if a songwriter can write ONE song like that in a life, that's success. Awesome. I love the change to the chorus.

I like Rascal Flatts new single. I don't recall the name. Sounds like a rock song to me. It sure ain't country. But I like it. Those boys are hot as a pistol. A little too slick for me but I like some of their songs.

Hey Russ, you said "One of the highlights of the evening was getting to record a duet with Trisha Yearwood & Bob Dylan. Trisha stood about 30 feet away from Bob (like I'm not standing anywhere near you)."

More! What's your take on that? Why'd she stand 30 feet away? That's a duet?

Marty Stuart, ever the cool dude. I like that guy.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Just a little story about that "Y'allapalooza" show. Also on the bill was Clay Walker. Willie Nelson was supposed to headline, but fell ill shortly before the show. So, Walker came on after Terri Clark. He did his set, and then realized he still had Willie's hour or so of empty "dead air" to fill. He didn't have enough of his material to finish both his set AND Willie's, so him and the band turned Sandstone Amphitheater (er, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater) into the world's largest honky tonk, by doing renditions of...you guessed it, every bar chestnut imaginable, from "Sweet Home Alabama" to "Margaritaville" to "Old Time Rock and Roll" and on and on. I might have thought it dumb, but I realized what he was doing, and found it really entertaining and funny.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey Russ, you said "One of the highlights of the evening was getting to record a duet with Trisha Yearwood & Bob Dylan. Trisha stood about 30 feet away from Bob (like I'm not standing anywhere near you)."

More! What's your take on that? Why'd she stand 30 feet away? That's a duet?

Might have been B.O.???

I think she'd rather snuggle up to Garth.

Russ

Archived