Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fastest way to exchange audio files online?

I would like to start collaborating with a friend online but we want to exchange wavs and aiffs...no mp3's. We cannot do this through email because we each have a free yahoo account that you can only email 10 megs. So is there any other way to do this online? Or would mailing files through the post office still be the fastest way?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this:

YouSendIt

It's a free online transfer service. You go to the website, signify a recipient for the file, then upload it. When it's done uploading, you get an email confirmation with an access link, and the recipient gets the access link via email also. Your file stays on the Yousendit server for about a week. The max size for a file is 1G.

I've used it a lot. It's kinda slow uploading, but downloading zips right along. Of course, this could be a result of my isp...

Good luck,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Get yourself a domain name and hosting from someone like host for web. For $10/yr registration and $50 yr hosting fee you'll have enough server space to fttp files to and from with no hassles, and each have your own @yourdomainname e-mail address. Splitting the cost that's $30 each.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

FTP is very handy and universal, that's how most of our stuff is transferred. You can even access the files with Internet Exploder from anycomputer in the world, and still use a password and username.

We had the people who provide the server for our webpage set us up the bomb.

Martin

The FTP and webserver idea is definitely the best.

You could download BitTorrent from www.bittorrent.com. Make a torrent file pointing to your audio file, email the torrent file to your client, and as soon as the client confirms that the file transfer is complete you delete the torrent file and all is safe. Bit Torrent transfer can be very fast - if you have, for example, five band members who need the file, the file transfer will go quicker with more transfers.

With regard to slow uploads... of course, it could be their server. But don't forget, many of us have asymetric net hookups... my own 3 mbps downstream is accompanied by a relatively leisurely 256 MB upstream...

Archived