Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT! Lost Turtle...

Help me out here folks.

My neighbor found a turtle in their yard and gave it to us to care for while we try to find the owner. I don't have time to do a search on turtles so I'm coming here.

I know they eat just about everything and are more carniverous when young and herbiverous when older, as a rule. I'll get some turtle food tomorrow anyway.

Here's the deal. I have it in one of the bathtubs for tonight. I know that's not really all that good for them. We have a 10 gallon aquarium with a couple of fish in it. Can I place something in there will allow the turtle to climb up for rest and "sunning" or will there be a eaten fish problem?

Any serious suggestions and ideas will be apprecitated.

Oh, I'm not sure what it is. I do know it's not a Red Eared Slider, no red ears. It may be a Slider or a Painted turtle. I can't remember what the differences are.

Size is about 4" across and about 5" long, not counting head, tail or legs.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to know exactly without knowing the species, but a turtle that size may very well eat small fish in your aquarium. It may also feast on any snails you have in there. You might try feeding him some blood worms.

Whatever you do, make SURE you give him something to climb up on - whether he's in your tub or the tank.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

I'm just curious, did the guy come over with the turtle in his pocket, and say "here, take this." :D

Not quite but close. They brought the turtle over in a laundry basket.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived