Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Back in Black" in the Top 5

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised Chicago's "The Very Best Of: Only the Beginning" (Rhino) just made double-platinum. Chicago's already had several Greatest Hits disks out, and they haven't had a hit in years. :confused:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

The leader of the list remains "Eagles/Their Greatest Hits" (Asylum), last certified in 2002 at 28 million.

In second is Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (Epic), which reached 27 million in an April RIAA accounting.

Third is Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (23 million/1999; Capitol).

Fourth is "Led Zeppelin IV" (22 million/1999; Atlantic).

Fifth is Billy Joel's "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & II" that reached 21 million in 2000.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Botch.:

I'm surprised Chicago's "The Very Best Of: Only the Beginning" (Rhino) just made double-platinum. Chicago's already had several Greatest Hits disks out, and they haven't had a hit in years. :confused:

Going to see Chicago and Earth, Wind, and Fire on July 4th.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

I was talking with a Polygram rep at one time during the early 90's when Soundscan came along.

He said if it was n't for the massive illegal importation of the Saturday Night Fever from South America, that soundtrack would have far out sold Thriller.

The fact that it is a double album is evn more telling....

There is no substitute.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Chicago has not been the same since Terry Kath passed away, and Peter Cetera became a wuss. :cry:

Want me to back that up? I have only two words for you: "Hot Streets". :eek::mad::cry:

I didn't expect them to be the same as when I saw them in 1975. But it's free!
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

I've done a search but can't find the Brit equivalents of this. I don't think it is that different, tho I'm pretty sure The Eagles aren't at the top (or even top 10), they're known here but not nearly as big as they were Stateside. I don't think the Beatles are either, I guess they did just too many great albums to concentrate the sales into 1 or 2. Bat Out of Hell is probably in it, surprised that isn't in the American lists?!

Singleswise (they showed the top 100 on TV recently, I'm going from memory here tho), it's Elton's Candle In The Wind (but ONLY because they count sales from both the original and the Diana version), 2 and 3 were Queen's Bho Rap or Band Aid's Feed The World but I can't remember which way round...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Band Aid second, Queen third.

I'd be interested to find out what the best selling 'normal' single of all time is though.

Elton John, #1 coz of Diana

Band Aid, #2 coz of charity

Queen #3 coz of re-release when Freddie Mercury died.

Can't remember what #4 was/is.

Elton John should never have re-recorded Candle In The Wind by the way, dontcha think? How could he write that song for one person (Norma Jean?) and then change the lyrics for someone else!? Surely that's really not fair on the first person!

Originally posted by russrags:

I believe these are for USA sales only, not including the rest of the world.

Russ

Yes, the RIAA is just counting the US sales, nothing else.

I guess the Beatles "sold" more in China, then all artists together in the US, and Russia never paid anything to anybody... :D

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by flyscots:

How could he write that song for one person (Norma Jean?) and then change the lyrics for someone else!? Surely that's really not fair on the first person!

She won't notice, she's dead :)

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

The Eagles?

Greatest Hits? That's not an album, it's a funghing compilation. On that note, cast off Billy Joel as well. Lazy ass fans. Matter of fact, I bet that 20 million people have both.

'Back in Black' should be #1. I'm going out tomorrow and buying two, maybe 6 copies. I'll give them to the skateboarding kids across the street. Maybe it will encourage them to seek out members of the opposite sex.

Someday, some crazy ass genius world leader will incorporate 'Have a Drink on Me' as their rally song. That leader will finally bring balance to the force.

Whiskey, gin and brandy

With a glass I'm pretty handy

I'm trying to walk a straight line

On sour mash and cheap wine

So join me for a drink boys

We're gonna make a big noise

So don't worry about tomorrow

Take it today

Forget about the cheque

We'll get hell to pay

Have a drink on me

See?

Possibly the greatest Rock and Roll album ever.

The Zepp album ain't noise pollution either.

YMMV

Archived