Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Perplexing Firewire question

Let's say that I have a file on an external Firewire hard drive, and I would like to copy it to a second Firewire hard drive. Each FW drive has two FW connectors, so I can daisy chain them as follows.

Mac ---cable1--- FWdriveA ---cable2--- FWdriveB

Here's the question. If I copy a file from FWdriveA to FWdriveB, is the file transferred over cable2 only, i.e. directly between drives? Or does the file have to be transferred over cable1 back to the Mac, then on both cable1 (again) and cable2 on the way to the target drive, FWdriveB?

In other words, does the data have to pass through the CPU, or can it move directly (efficiently) between FW devices?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless there's a controller on-board each of the the drives themselves, the data would likely have to route through the Mac....

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Originally posted by mdlestat:

Unless there's a controller on-board each of the the drives themselves, the data would likely have to route through the Mac....

word

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

So, if what you guys are saying is true, performace would be better by hooking each FW drive to its own FW port on the Mac, correct?

Graphically...

FWdriveA ---cable1--- Mac ---cable2--- FWdriveB

is more efficient than daisy chaining, because in the daisy chain data has to double back along one of the cables. Is that accurate?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

So, if what you guys are saying is true, performace would be better by hooking each FW drive to its own FW port on the Mac, correct?

Not necessarily. They both could be on the same bus therefore no differrence in performance. For expample the G5 has two FW400 ports, one front/one back, both using the same bus. There is also a FW800 port on the G5 which is on a seperate bus. One could then use a 800/400 cable and utilize the seperate busses. A slight performance gain.
"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson

Archived