Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get yosef a hit, play forever

SOURCE: Gig Fees for old farts

I was wondering how you can be the Mamas and the Papas and uh, they're all dead. Except I guess Michelle Phillips. I wonder if even _she_ is in the band.

EDIT: Well, I'll be. Turned on PBS, and none other than Denny Whatzizname is alive and well. The other guy in The Mamas and The Papas.

Surprised Boxtops don't earn more.

If a group is $5,000, I wonder how much more could be added for sound/lighting, etc.?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well one of them is dead..I don't remember if it's milli...or vanili...or fab or tab or whatever.

Hey, what if Autotune had existed in those days? Would it have been unethical to use Autotune to fix the voices of the Milli Vanilli guys on the records...who weren't the guys we were watching on videos/stage..who were lip-syncing to the guys in the studio ...that none of us knew about? Ugh..too complicated.

It isn't the "Fabreeze" dude, it was the other Milli guy. Actually, a tragic story. After they were busted, he got really lost in drugs...never really recovered, and finally committed suicide.

People make fun of Milli Vanilli, but, seriously, I don't blame those guys. It was their manager that did it, and all he was doing was giving the public what it wanted. I sorta have to blame the public for the pressure to be both model-worthy AND talented, and in truth, it doesn't happen that often. I've known a butt-ton of people who "looked" like rock stars, but they sucked. If it was just to talent, there'd be a lot more John Poppers, y'know?

Yeah, Papa Denny Doherty is still alive and well. He had a children's TV gig for awhile playing "Mr. Tugboat Captain" (a similar role to Ringo's "Mr. Conductor") on the seafaring equivalent of "Thomas the Tank Engine". Actually, he was the lead singer of the Mamas and Papas.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Ricky Nelson wrote about the "oldies trap" way back in the 70s (well, way back when he was still alive) with his song "Garden Party" which complained because old fans wouldn't let him play new songs.

To his apparent chagrin, that song became the only song written after his brief period as a teen star his audiences would respond to. He was still playing mostly oldies shows at the time of his unfortunate death. He may have died young and stayed pretty -- but he'd been trapped in the oldies circuit for a decade and a half when his plane went down on the way to another oldies concert.

:(

Originally posted by theblue1:

Ricky Nelson wrote about the "oldies trap" way back in the 70s (well, way back when he was still alive) with his song "Garden Party" which complained because old fans wouldn't let him play new songs.

To his apparent chagrin, that song became the only song written after his brief period as a teen star his audiences would respond to. He was still playing mostly oldies shows at the time of his unfortunate death. He may have died young and stayed pretty -- but he'd been trapped in the oldies circuit for a decade and a half when his plane went down on the way to another oldies concert.

:(

I think one way they can avoid that is to keep turning out radio-friendly schlock while they're still popular. I mean, look at Elton John. If he'd quit back in 1975 and become an insurance salesman, he'd be currently playing "Your Song" and "Crocodile Rock" on oldies tours...but, he did what he did, and he's still a headliner.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by BOOKUMDANO:

well one of them is dead..I don't remember if it's milli...or vanili...or fab or tab or whatever.

I believe you are reffering to Rob Pilatus...(his name is Robert Paulson). Sorry. That was in bad taste. Here's some more...

I've heard the Rob's suicide note was plagiarized. The L.A. County Coroner's Office has conducted an investigation. The findings of said investigation have prompted the Coroner's Office to revoke Rob's death certificate. He now faces charges of "death syncing"...the penalty for which is death. :D

Sorry. He died famous & didn't earn that fame. I really don't care. :freak:

Archived