Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bruce,

Before you consider switching to Apple's "Mail" , if you're not already on it, you might want to read these discussions about complications with their email client currently going on in one of Apple's Forums. Seems to have a lot of bugs in it right now.

Mail & Address Book

If you ARE on MAIL instead of Outlook Express, you may actually find a thread in the Apple Forum that addresses your issue... I'm heading back over there to see if there's any threads more specific to your situation.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce,

Have you determined, for sure, which email client you are using yet?

Here's a more targeted thread from the forum about people having problems sending and receiving messages using Apple's email client *MAIL*. In a quick overview it looks like a recent change in platforms, possibly a server change or a recent upgrade, has caused some difficulties in the transmission and reception of mails. This is only one side of the issue, but different software conflicts may cause different issues.

Recieves but doesnt send.

I remember you stating that you had just recently moved over to a DSL; by any chance has this problem been present since that switch? If so, and you ARE using MAIL as your client, this might be a place to start digging. Or if you have recently installed updates from Apple that included the upgrade for the MAIL... The software installed by Earthlink may have some sort of conflict...

If you don't know which email client you are running yet, attempt to open the Inbox where you normally check your mail. Look at the very top line of the box that pops up and it should state the name of the email client.... if not.... if you are running Windows XP on your system, you can click on the "START" button in the bottom left hand side of the screen. This will give you a pop-up of options.

Select "All Programs" ... You will find the name of your email client within this list. If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express, you will see an icon with a white box and a golden circle clock with a white face inside that is titled Microsoft Outlook. I don't know how Apple titles their program MAIL, but seek for "MAIL", "Apple MAIL", "Apple Tiger" or anything that says Mail in the title of the programs.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

I think I have "Mail" and that is where my bug is.... I looked in the folder marked Applications and sure enough there is the G---D--- postage stamp.

I would prefer to get it working properly again. Don't forget kiddies, I'm an OLD dog, it's tough to teach us new tricks. I think I'm fortunate to do as well as I do on this internet doo-doo.

It's a pisser, I'll tell 'ya....

Bruce Swedien

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Bruce,

This thread doesn't really offer a resolve, but here are 4 people that are experiencing a problem almost identical to yours in the error messages they have received.

Mail can\'t download from POP servers, but Entourage can

An upgrade seems to be causing a lot of issues. Seriously though, if you have not upgraded your email account on your own, when you upgraded you Internet Service Provider to DSL "THEIR" software may have created the conflict with Mail. This may very well be one of those issues where some network softwares work fine with the upgrade, whereas others create havoc.

Anifa sez-------->Bruce, This thread doesn't really offer a resolve, but here are 4 people that are experiencing a problem almost identical to yours in the error messages they have received.

Brucie sez--------->Wow. A couple of days after I got my new Direcway Digital Satellite with my high-speed internet service is when this doo-doo started.

That makes sense.

Thanks Anifa....

:idea:

Ahhh that's what it is. You are trying to pick up email from a different company than DirecWay (namely, Earthlink) and Direcway may have security in place that prevents this. You may also have to use Direcway's outgoing mail server instead of Earthlink's (although you should still be able to use your Earthlink email address if you kept your Earthlink account.

You will probably need to contact Direcway's tech support and tell them you have a non-Direcway email address, and ask them what you need to do.

I remember a very bad experience with MCI when I first began connecting to the Internet. I was able to connect to the Internet, but some of the software on my computer began malfunctioning and I kept getting error messages. Fortunately all of my gear was under warranty when I call Hewlett Packard to trouble shoot.

When I began telling HP the error messages that I was receiving, they asked me if I had installed any software for connecting to the Internet lately. Turned out that the problem was the fault of MCI, who ... rather than updating their software to keep up with the pace of the innovative technologies, they DOWNGRADED my system to meet their needs. Their software was designed to work on a Windows 95 platform and yet they installed their software on my Windows 98 platform ... Their installation software overwrote important files in my system so to ACCOMMODATE "their" service. Hence, in downgrading my system to their standards; all of the updated software that came equipped with my computer and those that I bought for a 98 platform became inoperable.

Hewlett Packard told me that they had experienced a BIG problem with that very issue. I had to reformat my hard drive on a brand new computer, reinstall all of the software I had added, and I gave MCI a quick boot out the door. I went to AOL after that and stayed with them until Time Warner and AOL merged; then I moved to Road Runner... I still have free AOL though through RR.

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

Anifa sez-------->Bruce, This thread doesn't really offer a resolve, but here are 4 people that are experiencing a problem almost identical to yours in the error messages they have received.

Brucie sez--------->Wow. A couple of days after I got my new Direcway Digital Satellite with my high-speed internet service is when this doo-doo started.

That makes sense.

Thanks Anifa....

:idea:

You're welcome! Maybe now we can get on the road to repair since we have identified a potential culprit. :thu:

I abondoned outlook for all but newsgroups ( other can of worms) and use G mail and msn hotmail exclusively. They are web based. Not as handy as outlook..(except g mail is darned close) but when I began having the type problems you are having with outlook (about 2 years ago) I said screw it, life is too short and have not looked back. However, their is a resolution..and I am keen to see yours resolved. I may even go back to outlook myself one day.

Those "pop3" properties must be entered correctly and manually for it to work.

POP 3 mail with outlook is like "shipping lanes" and if you are directed down the road that does not lead to the service you are currently using, well...you run into a dead end. The pop3 instructions are basically a "road map" to where the service is.

We can call it POOP 3 if you would like!

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Hi Bill :wave:

Bruce has determined that he is not using Outlook/Express, but rather he's set up on Apple's MAIL as his email client.

Bruce,

Lee has a point in what she said about Direcway Digital Satellite needing to be contacted. Although you have kept your email address with Earthlink, that at one time was accessed through a dial-up phone modem, you no longer are using the phone modem to connect to the Internet or your Pop-server. This will definitely be something that will have to be coordinated through Direcway and Earthlink to determine the settings.

If there is not resolve in the problems there, then continue to move forward with a conflict of software issue. Check with your two service providers as mentioned above first though.

Yeah, I'm just about positive that's what it is. Direcway will have to tell you how to change the settings on your modem, firewall and/or email software so that you can access the Earthlink server. Whereas when you were using Earthlink as your service provider, that wasn't an issue!

Good Luck to you! :thu:

I think I'm going to go bum out in the sun for a while this afternoon. :cool: When I come back, I hope to see a post from Bruce saying...

I'VE GOT IT :thu::thu::thu:

Archived